Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

has anyone stayed at Secret Harbour in St. Thomas?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to decide where to go on vacation the end of July. I'm looking for something comparable to Secret Harbour Resort in St. Thomas. I stayed there last summer and had the most WONDERFUL snorkeling experiences right off the beach! It was a calm, relaxed atmosphere with a great restaurant too. Good snorkeling is my top priority, but I've heard good off-beach snorkeling is hard to find. I was thinking about Belize (Ambergris Caye?). After reading blogs & forums, it sounds like the snorkeling I experienced in St. Thomas & St. John is hard to come by. I would love any suggestions on destinations, especially from anyone that has stayed at Secret Harbour because I would love to find something very similar to that. Thanks!!!
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 07:51 PM

If snorkeling is special to you, and I feel the same way, then maybe you might even want to repeat Secret Harbour. I've been burned by hearing about places with supposedly good wade-in snorkeling , but it wasn't good. Having said that, there are places on Virgin Gorda (Mango Bay Resort on Mahoe Bay) in particular.
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 08:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
We absolutely loved the snorkeling at Secret Harbor. It was so nice to be able to walk in and float around and see so many types of fish.

The closest we've come to it (after 20+ islands) is at Caneel Bay, St. John.

We have had some good experiences, but they were off a boat, not walk in.

Just for an example, our daughter said on a supposed snorkel trip----"This isn't snorkeling, it's swimming with fins." So I know what you mean.

Unfortunately, what happens at the walk in spots is that the coral gets ruined by those who are uninformed and stand on it.

I'll be interested to see if anyone comes up with a new spot.
Old Jun 20th, 2011, 06:33 PM

I visited Secret Harbour this week on a spur of the moment trip- we did not stay there but farther west at a friend's place but I thought SH was a nice place with a pretty setting but it was pretty populated the day we were there (a weekday) and it was very, very hot with no breeze, which I certainly know is arbitrary. I think you got a great suggestion though from xkenz about Mango Bay on VG- we spent 5 nights there in April 2010 and thought it was probably some of the best walk in snorkeling we have ever experienced with just a handful of people around at any given moment during the week- it almost felt like you had the whole place to yourself. The sunsets are amazing, too. You need a car but it is only 10 minutes or less to SpanishTown to groceries, bars, restaurants, etc. They were doing some construction at Secret Harbour this week with a lot of banging- I think the restaurant is being remodeled- you might want to inquire. I recommend Mango Bay Resort wholeheartedly though!
Old Jun 21st, 2011, 07:26 AM

I agree that Mango Bay on VG is a great suggestion. Nail Bay, also on VG, has many fans, though I have never stayed there. Might be worth checking out.