Trip report- Did not like

Jul 4th, 2000, 10:10 AM
amber

Trip report- Did not like

I wish that I had known what the island was really like before I booked my trip. Please do not expect a lush tropical island since it is not. I was there June 15-22 & everything was pretty much brown. There are no palm trees bigger than 6 feet tall except for the ones almost bent to the ground. The local islanders are very friendly but the resident French people are not. I assumed that it must be true that French people hate Americans! If you like French food, Grand Case is where all of the "best" resturants are for this. I do not like French food so I cannot recommend any specific places. Turtle Pier & The Boathouse are EXCELLENT!!! They serve mostly what I call more "authentic Caribbean" style food such as grilled red snapper, coconut shrimp, stuffed snapper, mahi-mahi, etc. The filet mignon is also excellent. Try the Raspberry Colada at the Boathouse. These 2 resturants are also very affordable.
Driving in St. Martin is an adventure in itself. You must be brave!! We saw 2 different guys get hit on motorcycles. The roads are in pretty good shape.
Avoid Marigot on Wednesdays & Saturdays unless you are going to the market. I sat in traffic for 1 hour 45 minutes there. Check out Paradise Pic since it has some great views. Go to Cupecoy Beach to see the cliffs (expect to see total nakedness there) Stay far away from Captn. Oliver's resturant. The beach at Grand case is perfect for swimming & snorkeling. Stay away from Friars Bay since it was very nasty/dirty. Since the island is mostly French, expect toplessness on the beaches. Some of the beaches will be all nude. Orient was nice but overrated. All in all, the water there is the most incredible shade of blue that you will ever see. Crystal clear, waveless, calm, & warm.
I did have a good time while I was there, I was just very disappointed in alot of the things that I saw. I was expecting something totally different since everthing that I read & saw painted a different picture than what it really was.

Jul 5th, 2000, 08:51 AM
paula

Ummmm....where did you travel to????? To those of us not familiar with the places, it is difficult to identify which isalnd you are referring to.

Jul 5th, 2000, 08:52 AM
paula

Please disregard my first response - I obviously didn't read far enough into your report...sorry!!!

Search this Thread