Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Trip Report - Bermuda (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/trip-report-bermuda-369840/)

lindafromNJ Oct 19th, 2003 10:33 AM

Trip Report - Bermuda

My husband and I just returned from a trip to Bermuda for 7 days. We stayed at the Pompano Beach Club in Southhampton. It was just beautiful. We stayed in a deluxe room overlooking the water. It was furnished very nice and we were quite impressed. The view was sensational and the little beach there was calm and beautiful and also good for snorkeling. The food was also very good. The highlights of our trip included:
Warwick Long Bay - the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. Also Horseshoe Bay was beautiful. We had lunch at the Waterloo House in Hamilton which was great. We did the scooters one day to go beach hopping and that was alot of fun. One of the highlights of the trip was the taxi tour from Quinton Bean. He took us all over the island and gave us a great history. We enjoyed St. Georges and Hamilton, as well as the Dockyard. There was so much to do and a week was not enough. The Bermudians are so friendly and caring. I really enjoyed this island and would go back. It is prettier than other caribean islands I have been to.

penny Oct 19th, 2003 12:03 PM

Linda I am so glad you had a wonderful trip. I remember your posts after hurricane Fabian. Now you can understand why I said not to worry and go. Bermuda is a unique sophisticated little gem! Its still one of our favorite islands, and a very short flight out of Newark! I love the Waterloo House too, its a nice spot for lunch! Thanks for your update!

RobertoB Oct 21st, 2003 03:19 AM

Good to see that you enjoyed Bermuda. I personally feel that it's a very underrated destination given its' two hour air time from most east coast cities. One of my fondest memories of Bermuda was walking the golf course at night to Whale Bay Inn after eating at Pompano.

andreaac Oct 21st, 2003 09:58 AM

Roberto, it's not that Bermuda is not a wonderful place to visit. I just find that most people are initially put-off by high prices associated with visiting there. Also more and more people are willing to travel an extra hour or 2 if their $$$ will go further elswhere, IMHO.

RobertoB Oct 21st, 2003 02:40 PM

I agree that the resorts tend to be expensive relative to other destinations. The apartments are very much in line with costs almost anywhere.

lindafromNJ Oct 22nd, 2003 03:03 AM

Yes Bermuda is expensive. we used continental mileage points to go. I have always wanted to go there as I heard it was so beautiful. I booked the Pompano thru Go Go Tours and thought I got a good deal. Deluxe Room over looking the ocean with meals and dine around for a week was under $3,000.
Go Go Tours has specials going on where one flys and the other flys free. Also I was talking to some of the Bermudians and we agreed the expensive airfair is a deterent mostly for people coming to this island. That is why so many people cruise to Bermuda. I was informed that the country is looking to get Jet Blue and other less expensive airlines in to increase tourism. I have been to Bahamas, Antiqa and Cancun and Hawaii. Although Hawaii is my favorite place in the world, Bermuda has the prettiest and calmest beaches I have seen.