Search

Caymans v. Puerto Rico

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 1999, 08:13 AM
Jeff

Caymans v. Puerto Rico

I am planning a Cayman's trip in March. I want to stay in a top place. The Hyatt is $390 per night,though. People tell me that Puerto Rico is also nice but a lot less costly. While I prefer to stay in a top place and splurge a little, would Puerto Rico give me "more bang for the buck"? Is the Caymans worth $6000 for a week for two people? Please help. Also, if Puerto Rico is ok, what is the story on snorkling/diving and beaches

Old Nov 12th, 1999, 01:23 PM
Cheri

If I had to make the choice it would be Cayman hands down. Been there a couple times and PR several times as well. Why not look into the Marriott or Westin. Both are vey nice upscale places and cost less than the Hyatt which isn't even on the beach. <BR> <BR>The US dollar is only worth 80 cents Cayman but there are some things money can't buy like peace of mind. In Cayman there are no signs warning you not to take or wear valuables on the beach. There are no armed guards at the iron gated entrance to the beach at the hotel. You can walk the beach at night and be safe. You can also walk the streets and rent a car and ride all over without fear. <BR> <BR>As far as snorkeling, diving and beaches, Cayman wins that one too.

Old Nov 15th, 1999, 02:51 PM
Reinaldo

Well I dont now about the Caymans but for great Hotels in PR you can try the San Juan Hotel or The Ritz Carlton this are top hotels in the metro area, and maybe for the armed guards at the entrance of hotels. The Police in PR has a division that patrols the public beaches in the tourist area. If you want hotels outside the metropolitan area El Conquistador or maybe a small place to stay and relax like the Dorset Primavera in Rincon. As for diving and snorkeling you can try the Desecheo Island, Cave Diving in Isabela and all the northwest area and also you can visit the only luminocense bay at La Pargera in Lajas, is the only one in the world. Also check www.prtourism.com the oficial page of the Tourism Company.

Old Nov 16th, 1999, 10:53 AM
stephanie

Boy, I don't know where you heard that PR is a lot less costly. We've looked into going there, and found that they had a large number of big hotels that were what I would consider EXTREMELY expensive - including all those listed in previous post. There are many hotels on the island though, and some in the not so expensive range as well, but rumor has it many of these are not the greatest hotels either. Have also heard that there are many good restaurants on PR that are reasonably priced which I couldn't say for Cayman. <BR> <BR>However, have been to Cayman and loved it. I think you'll be more satisfied with the beauty of the sand/water/beaches on Cayman. Word has it that the beaches in the San Juan area of PR aren't that great, that you have to travel to one of the islands to the E. of P.R. for pretty beaches - which might interest you. They're called Culebra & Vieques. Supposed to be quiet, have good snorkeling and small hotels, and pretty beaches.

Old Nov 17th, 1999, 07:35 AM
Jeanine

I have been to both islands, and I would certainly choose PR over the Caymans. If you are into scuba, the Caymans are the place to go, otherwise, PR gives you beautiful beaches, shopping, entertainment which is more reasonable than the Caymans. I found everything in the Caymans to be way over priced. I am used to NY prices.

Old Nov 18th, 1999, 12:51 AM
Noah

Why are you limiting your choices to Puerto Rico or the Caymans? <BR> <BR>P.R. and the Caymans have much to offer but there are so many choices! See my post of url's and learn about the other islands so you can compare and make an informed decision. <BR> <BR>Let us know what you finally decide and have a nice vacation! <BR>

Old Nov 18th, 1999, 01:24 PM
Marlo

I have to agree with Stephanie the Ritz <BR>in PR was over $300 a night and having <BR>just got back from the Hyatt in Grand <BR>Cayman I can tell you that we paid less <BR>w/a package from US Airways for 5 days <BR>w/the upgraded golf/courtyard rooms for <BR>$900 a person for the 5 days w/air. <BR>I've only been through San Juan on the <BR>way to the cruise terminal but what I <BR>saw did not entice me to go back. <BR>Cayman is beauty beyond compare to me.

Old Nov 19th, 1999, 09:33 AM
Tom

What is nice about Puerto Rico is that you have the best of both worlds. There is the cultural, dining and nightlife options of San Juan and the beautiful scenery and beaches in the outlying areas. <BR> <BR>If you want to stay in "top" place in Puerto Rico and you plan on going in March (very expensive time to travel there), you will pay a good sum but I'm pretty sure that you can find a rate better than $390/night. I would suggest calling the following hotels and see what type of packages they offer: Wyndham El Conquistador; Wyndham El San Juan; The Ritz Carlton; and the Hyatts (Cerromar and Dorado). The EL San Juan and Ritz Carlton are right in San Juan, so if you don't want a "city" experience, you might want to consider the other listed alternatives.

Old Nov 27th, 1999, 11:29 AM
Joe

Marlo's judgement of P.R. based on a cruise stopover in Old San Juan is totally off the mark. There is truly no comparison between the overall beauty of all of Puerto Rico vs. the Cayman islands. Puerto Rico has almost every type of beauty imaginable. The Caymans have beautiful water and sand like Puerto Rico's offshore islands that are dry. I'd recommend the El Conquistador with its own offshore island for snorkeling,swimming and gorgeous waters. I think old San Juan is simply a fabulous if you're into culture and history. PR also has an incredible rainforest, bio-luminescent bays, world class caves and quaint towns and villages. Don't judge this island by an overcrowded New San Juan with good beaches for everywhere else except the Caribbean. The island of Puerto Rico has every type of beaches imaginable. Note, from the El Conquistador you can take diving trips to the nearby Spanish Virgins previously mentioned, Culebra and Vieques. As to prices it is definetly cheaper in San Juan, and about the same as the Cayman's at the El Conquistador. Remember that the El Conquistador is in another league when compared to the Cayman resorts.. Also, the weather and waters will be warmer, in Puerto Rico in March.... Marlo needs to give his opinion about places where he has spent a reasonable amount of time and has seen most of the sights. Jeff check out the prviously mentioned Prtourism.com. Good luck, the Caymans, like many islands of the Caribbean have pretty beaches and that's all. P.R. has all of that and a lot more. Call the P.R. Dept. Of Tourism and they will mail to you all the info you'll need in a few days. Ask the operator for their 800 No.

Old Nov 27th, 1999, 11:46 AM
lola

No contest. Been to both many times. Unless you're a diver, it's Puerto Rico. More beautiful, more interesting. More everything. Stay at a parador for bang for the buck--or outside the bigger cities. You can do anything here.

Old Nov 27th, 1999, 12:31 PM
jeff

Thanks for all the input. I decided on spending much if not all the time at the Ritz in PR. I am still considering other locations but for now it's the Ritz. <BR> <BR>The main factors included the ease of flying from NYC to PR. You can fly direct on many airlines in the a.m. and fly home at 7pm and get in the door at home by 11pm. It is like having an extra day on the island. Also, lowestfares.com had a flight for $260 direct round trip (only $350 through expedia as well) as opposed to $685 to the Caymans with a stop in Atlanta. PR this March and Caymans, Nevis/St. K. or Anguilla the next year. Thanks.

Old Nov 28th, 1999, 07:02 AM
Diane

Jeff, for a special treat (although you may well find it hard to leave the grounds of the Ritz) rent a car and drive South to Ponce. Have lunch either on the boardwalk (not like Atlantic east-coast boardwalks at all) or at the Yacht Club. It really is a gorgeous drive, and you'll have a completely different impression of PR. The island is really beautiful.