Treasure Island GC - Interesting Story

Old Jun 24th, 2002, 10:21 PM
Lenleigh

Treasure Island GC - Interesting Story

Although Fodors seems to have deleted the thread by Cayman420 (about Staying away from Treasure Island), I came across something I thought I'd share.

In the July issue of Conde Nast Traveler Magazine, Ombudsman features a story about a person that traveled to a resort (which was booked through Apple Vacations) in the Dominican Republic. On the first day at the resort there was a heavy rain. To avoid the rain the hotel guests (two friends) walked through a bar/disco area and down some terracotta steps which happened to be wet and slippery. One guest slipped/fell and severely hurt their foot. A Dr. told the guest it was just bruised, gave them a shot and some pain relievers. The guest had to spend the next three days in a wheelchair until another guest (who had reserved the chair) arrived and needed to use it. The last four days they were nearly immobile. Once home the person had the injury looked at and needed surgery. Of course Apple vacations did not claim any responsibility. The hotel only offered a credit of one nights stay. After Ombudsman contacted the hotel about the incident they ended up giving the guest $966 out of goodwill to the customer and also apologized for the guests difficulties. Since then they have also put up warning signs for the stairs. When an injury happens the hotel usually denies any wrongdoing but extends a refund or credit out of goodwill towards the guest, Ombudsman states in the article.

I thought this was an interesting story since there were so many people that bashed Cayman420 when she told how her fingernail was sliced off by a hotel chair. If someone can accidentally slip and get compensation for a ruined vacation then maybe Cayman420 also has a case.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 07:13 AM
tweedy

Outsie the US, where we are lawsuit crazy, there is a different attitude when it comes to injury. I'ts more like sorry but it's not our fault, and we'll do the best we can but you did it to yourself.

In the case of slippery stairs, the responsibility of the visitor should have been to look out where they were going. My guess is that was the attitude of the resort.

I had a similar thing happen to me at the Post Office in Chicago. I slipped on the stairs fell and hurt my knee badly and since I did't want an ambulance, the attitude was sorry lady you should have been more careful on the stairs.

I am not saying the attitude is correct but worth a thought.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 10:35 AM
cayman420

thank you for your thoughts, I have thought about writing and you have just sealed the deal.

I do not understand why the thread was removed. I have noticed on other sites it seems as though my "cayman420" has been used by others. I hope people do not think that it's me, a few cayman420 imposters have turned out to be very rude.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Ken

I think there was really only one person who got VERY enraged by your story for one reason or another... probably a condo owner or hotel employee at TI. It is a bit surprising that thread got removed when you can do a search for any four letter word and find stuff that wasn't removed. Fodors does seem to remove threads that keep escalating. At least they don't continually censor anything that's not a rave review like so many other boards. Lots of boards delete anything that's not like "what a wonderful island, we had a perfect trip". On a USVI board the moderator came in to say that his board wasn't a complaint board after somebody complained about taxis ripping people off. I guess he wanted to keep his advertisers happy.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 12:49 PM
Lenleigh

Cayman420, I figure they removed the thread for a few reasons. One, possibly because of the threat to Treasure Island's name/business and also because there were some rather rude/obnoxious postsers. I also thought some people had posted under your name using fowl language.

Anyways I thought this was an interesting story as Ombudsman clearly stated that the hotel offering only a credit of one night's stay was a bit callous. Furthermore Ombudsman was happy to see they posted a caution: Slippery When Wet sign on the stairs. I would assume this would make more people see that hotel's do have a lot to worry about when it comes to liability(regardless of it being someone's carelessness). I think a faulty chair is an even better case then a wet stair. If anything, I would write the appropriate people,possibly even include photos of your finger if you have any from the trip. I don't know that you can expect much as it is in another country but they should have extended an apology and some type of compensation. Even if they had offered a credit towards a future stay that would have been kinder than what they did for you(although I don't think you want to stay there again). Best of Luck.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 07:26 AM
cayman420

Leigh,
I just picked up the photo's yesterday. I will include pic's with my letter. The pictures are very clear and show in great detail the eroded chairs. I would NOT stay there again, and to say the least will ALWAYS check beach chairs before sitting. The chairs look fine from a distance but, who in the world would inspect a chair prior to sitting?

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 09:56 AM
Not this again

Amazing,
Poor little cayman420 (STILL) complaining about her finger. How about getting over it! If your reaction was minimal from the hotel staff while you were actually there, do you really think they're going to give a crap when you aren't?
And to answre your question about who inspects where they sit...well, I'd say anyone who has half a brain. You just confirmed how this happened in the first place....you carelessly plopped your ass down with out looking, and hurt yourself. Please don't continue looking for compassion from this board anymore....(Most of us) don't give a rats ass about you and your finger!!

Yes, I'm mean, uncaring, and callous....and proud of it, if it pisses you off!!

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 11:06 AM
Not this again

Cayman420. I'm sorry. I apologize for that heartless, uncaring tirade. You have to understand, I usually switch to decaf early in the day, and I didn't today. That coupled with my crashing disappointment at Connie Chung's premiere on CNN just made me so crabby today. And I went and took it out on you.
Please, accept this humble apology. As long as I can control my mood swings, I promise I won't humiliate myself again at your expense.
And I apologize to everyone who was forced to read these embarassing examples of what happens when a person loses control.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 01:21 PM
xxx

Whoa! If Not This Again is for real, he / she really needs professional help.

Old Jun 27th, 2002, 01:28 PM
kima

Cayman420. sorry that you had a bad expierence, I think that we corresponded on my post "how crowded is Grand Cayman" I did not see your original post, though guessing that TI was not concerned about your injury.

I have to say that while I was there in May the staff seemed not to care to much about anything.

Anyway I hope that your trip was good overall.