Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Travelling with small children, need some help.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 10:38 AM
D.D.

Hi we are travelling to the carribean with small children for the first time. They are 3 and 6. We are very nervous about the flight and the whole trip. Also, we haven't traveled in 9 years. Anybody in a simular situation please write. <BR>Thanks

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 11:12 AM
Grant

Will it be challenging? Maybe so. But nothing you wont be able to handle I'm sure. Just be prepared with books, crayons, and other misc commons sence stuff. Skin-so-soft for the bugs too is good. We've traveled all over the caribbean with our now 7yr old and she does fine. Dont be to nervous about it.

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 04:17 PM
D.D

Hi Grant, thanks for replying. I find it great to talk to people who have had the experience. Have you ever tried Cuba? Also, where are you from. We are from Toronto, Canada. <BR>Thanks .

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 10:25 AM
Colleen

HI DD, <BR>My husband and I have been traveling every year since we have been married. Our kids will be 2 and 4 in May and we continued traveling even when they were infants. We just got back from Jamaica, the kids had a great time. We stayed at Beaches Negril, very pricey, but very good. We are from Saskatoon, so we have to fly to Toronto first, overnight and then fly Air Canada down to Jamaica. Even with that, the kids do very well. I bring along a little medicine kit of tylenol, etc., hats, sunscreen and lots of books. I usually go to the dollar store and pick up some little things to entertain the kids on the plane. That usually does the trick. Have a good time.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 01:45 PM
ellen

Snacks on the plane!!! Make sure you bring something they LOVE so whether they're hungry or not they'll eat or drink while going up and down, preventing ear-pressure problems. They'll probably sleep through the flight.Carry-on an extra set of clothes for each of them and yourself...even the ones who don't get carsick can barf on the plane. Trust me on this one. ALso make sure they get enough sleep during the vacation--they get so overwhelmed by travel that without lots of sleep and a semblance of their normal routine, they go psycho around day three.