Traveller's Diarrhea

Jan 12th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Traveller's Diarrhea

I've got a condo booked for a month in San Juan this winter. This will be my first visit to PR, and was wondering if traveller's diarrhea is a common problem?

Should I avoid tap water?
Jan 13th, 2009, 07:29 AM

You don't need to avoid the tap water in San Juan. San Juan has excellent drinking water. You really shouldn't run into a problem unless your stomach is especially sensitive to any kind of water or food changes.
Jan 13th, 2009, 08:49 AM

You probably don't have to avoid the tap water for health reasons but you may want to have bottled water on hand anyway. The tap water doesn't taste the greatest. I dont know if it is because of minerals or something else, but while I don't hesitate to rinse my mouth with it or use ice cubes, I turn to bottled water when I am thirsty.
Jan 13th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Hey thanks for your advice Weadles, you too tom42.

I'm trying to minimize the risk if I can, so I can enjoy my month off with little or no problems.

I spent a week in a resort in Cancun
awhile ago and had some stomach trouble there. I'm curious, is this common in the Caribbean?
Jan 14th, 2009, 03:44 AM

I can also say we had no problems drinking tap water in Puerto Rico in the San Juan area when we went. Have fun.
Jan 14th, 2009, 05:04 AM

I don't think stomach problems are particularly common in the Caribbean or anywhere else, but if you eat or drink something that isn't prepared or handled correctly, you will get sick.

Some people have more sensitive systems than others, so this may make you more prone to stomach upset. That being said, our family has definitely had more stomach woes in Mexico than in other places in the Caribbean. I think in part its due to the wonderful but spicy food.

If you're really concerned about it, you can avoid salads, eat fruits and vegetables that you peel yourself, and drink bottled water. But that should really not be necessary in Puerto Rico.

Have fun!
Jan 14th, 2009, 05:59 AM

Hey, Weadles how was your trip?
Did you like the biobay?
Jan 14th, 2009, 06:33 AM

Hey, sassycat!!

Had a wonderful time, but did absolutely NOTHING except a couple of dinners at La Parilla. We looked into Bio Bay but were told that the stage of the moon would have made it a poor time for the trip. Anyway, it was such a rarity to have a week to do nothing that we totally enjoyed it!
Jan 14th, 2009, 08:16 AM

Weadles,
Hmmm, that's odd information as we went on the biobay tour on Dec 30th and it was perfect!
Four trips were run that night and each time the bus was full. We ended up going on the 9pm boat.

Maybe next time?
Jan 14th, 2009, 11:26 AM

Hi Sassy,

Glad you got to go! Yes, we will try for next time. We were trying to go on Jan 3rd or 4th, but told it wouldn't be worth it due to the phase of the moon? Hmmm....
Jan 14th, 2009, 01:58 PM

Ahh, you were right on the cusp according to the luna calendar. Jan 3rd was considered 'good' but Jan 4th would have had 'considerable moonlight' as described on the Island Adventures site.

Never mind, I guess doing nothing for a week in the sun beats staying at home in my book and now you have a reason to go back!
Jan 14th, 2009, 01:59 PM

Scott, sorry to hijack your post and I agree with the rest. No problema with the water in PR.
Jan 14th, 2009, 10:03 PM

Save yourself the problems and get a prescription for Ciprofloxacin or "cipro" for short. I like to try roadside food and not worry if the ice is tainted as well. This allows me to enjoy my trip and not spend it in the lady's room.
Jan 15th, 2009, 04:54 AM

Cipro is a very strong medicine and can cause adverse reactions in some people. Make sure you consult with a doctor before taking it.