Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Traveling with lots of kids which resort is best?

Old Jul 21st, 2000, 10:34 AM
Dolores

We are eight families traveling with a whole bunch of kids ranging in age from 3 to 14. Considering the Melia Tropical, Bavaro Palace or Coral Hamaca. Which would have more to do for the kids?

Old Jul 22nd, 2000, 03:47 AM
Rosa

Dolores,
You are very brave.
Hope you have lots of energy.
And lots of pesos.
Watch those kiddoes constantly.
Good luck.
You'll need it.

Rosa

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 12:27 PM
Jean

I recommend any resort that I'm NOT at.

Old Jul 24th, 2000, 03:28 AM
Don

Sounds like a suicide mission to me, Dolores.

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 06:50 AM
Debbie

Boy, I hope I don't run into any of the people who replied to your message. What a bunch of grumps! We were planning a Carribbean vacation with our two kids (9 & 10) for Christmas. Last year we went to Hawaii & had a great time. The more I read on this forum, the more I feel the Carribbean isn't the place to vacation with kids. Maybe we should head back to Hawaii. Where ever you go have a wonderful time!!!!

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 07:06 AM
Jean

Grumps? I think not. You sound like someone trying to start another flame war on the boards. Go to Hawaii.

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 09:26 AM
Another Jean

Debbie, the original poster stated "eight families traveling with a whole bunch of kids ranging in age from 3 to 14". That's a big difference from your 2 older children.

If I've paid my hard earned money for a relaxing vacation, the LAST thing I want to encounter is a huge group of kids no matter where I choose to visit. I don't think they'd be well received by most guests, unless the property specifically caters to children & such groups are to be expected.

Families needing to provide activites for that many children should really look into theme parks.

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 10:59 AM
xxx

I'll put my kids' manners up against many "adults" any day. Sounds like you crabby folks need a vacation immediately--hopefully you'll get an attitude adjustment along the way. We're headed to the Caribbean this winter--I dearly hope we're in the room next to yours!

Seriously, Delores, have you checked into Beaches Resorts? They're specifically geared toward families with kids--if you run into the "anti-children" there it will be their own fault and your kids can just relax and have a wonderful time.

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 03:02 PM
Valerie

Hey, I'd love to take a vacation immediately. But being surrounded by a hoard of young ones is not going to adjust my attitude in the direction you imply it needs to go since I agree with Jean & Another Jean.

Think about it. You don't see these type responses to someone inquiring about traveling with one or two children. It's the numbers involved that elicit such groans.

It amazes me that some people take personal offense at the realization that someone might not want to spend their holiday with "a lot" of kids around. Why would any reasonable person think that automatically equates with being "crabby"? That's such a sweeping declaration it makes me wonder if perhaps someone hit a nerve? Perhaps you'd secretly like to vacation without the kids or perhaps in your heart you know they can be annoying to others at times? What's the real issue here?

Some of us vacation without our children --- we're certainly not "anti-child"! Ever think about that?

I agree that some childrens' manners far exceed those of many adults. However, I do not think that a parent is necessarily the best judge of their own children's behavior or its effect on the enjoyment of other adults. It's very hard for any of us to be impartial about our own children.

We parents tend to take the little behaviors that drive strangers crazy in stride, often not even noticing. Parents rarely realize how annoying & crazy-making their kids can be to other adults.

Delores on the other hand is being realistic, obviously understanding that "a lot" of kids will need a lot of entertaining (& hopefully a lot of supervision). Geez, she asked! I hope she will take your advice & head for Beaches or Disneyland or Grand Cayman where there will be plenty for them to do & where their presence will be not only expected, but appreciated.

Having said that, if you & your 2 older kids are in the room next to mine & all of you are reasonably well behaved, you can count on me to be congenial.

No need to be defensive about the presence of your children unless they give you reason to feel that way.

Regards,
Grumpy Old Val,
whose kids love to vacation with Gramma, giving me & their dad the chance to totally relax without worrying about their safety in a foreign country, their constant entertainment or their little idiosyncracies that we personally find so endearing

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 04:11 PM
TJM

Hi Dolores. The truth is that there is only one place in the Caribbean you should take the family and kids. That is to FDR in Jamaica. I grew up in St. Maarten and love that place more than any other place in the world. I live in Florida so that should mean something too. But where do I take the family . . . FDR in Jamaica . . . at least 3 times each year. If you need more info as to why you should consider no other destination, drop me an email with any questions . . . would be happy to respond. TJM

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 05:23 PM
aParentOf Many

I'm glad there are many "adult only" properties that will guarantee an over 16 crowd for all those that prefer to vacation without the presence of children...If you think about it sometimes a large group of kids can enjoy themselves for most of the day in a pool, not much entertainment needed to be provided by the parents. Enjoy Dolores you're lucky to be able to travel with playmates!!!!

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 07:59 PM
xxx

Hey Valerie,

We're really not on different pages--I agree that parents need to relax and unwind away from the kids once in awhile. My husband and I are doing a parents-only weekend in August for that very reason. As a matter of fact, summer vacation is getting just a liiiiiitttttlllllee bit too long for my taste...

Having said that, I know my kids aren't perfect, but I do sense a real "anti-children" attitude on many of these travel posts and it really bugs me. I stand by my original statement that kids are often more pleasant, mannerly and fun to be around than a good share of adults.

If Dolores and her group choose to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on a trip I would hope they're treated with courtesy wherever they decide to go. Everyone has very different reasons for traveling--our trip this winter is being planned to coincide with the first anniversary of my dad's death, for example. It's been a sad, stressful year for all of us (kids included)and we're going away to relax and recuperate. Would you know that by just by looking at us? Nope. Judge not...

I would suggest staying at a family-friendly resort, however. Beaches and FDR (from what I've heard) have plenty of kids' and parents' activities so everyone will be happy.

Old Jul 29th, 2000, 07:14 AM
anon

I have to admit that some of the answers were definately mine too! Not that I am "against kids" but I do search for those spots that are less likely to attract them. I want to "get away," relax, and enjoy my time and not have to hear some of the children-associated noises and deal with them! It's not the childrens' fault but the problem lies with the adults who accompany them! If they are not taught to behave, if there is no limit setting and children are allowed to scream (have you ever heard the little girls screaming as only little girls do in that high-ear-drum shattering squeal?) for hours on end as they play in the water or build their castle under my chair, not their parents' chair! Their behaviors are "cute" to the parents or the parents are so used to it, they ignore simple behaviors that might be annoying to others! Alas, we are moving more and more to "family-oriented" resorts (even the high end ones) so that the hidden out-of-the-way ones are even being invaded. When I come back from vacation, then I can deal with everyone else's little ones and my own grandchildren - but on vacation, no, I don't want to! And there is nothing wrong with that!

Old Jul 29th, 2000, 12:24 PM
Mr. Nobody

Children will be children wherever they go. They are by nature inquisitive, excitable, moody & interested in everything. Put them in a colorful, lively or different natural setting than they're used to & they'll be twice as unpredictable.

Parents will be parents wherever they go. Each thinks their child is an exception to (insert rule here). Each thinks no one could possibly not want to be privy to the joyful sounds they inevitably make.

If they were sick or injured, would the medical facilities available be the kind you'd want?

If you became sick or injured, what would happen to them? Are they old enough to understand how to act in an emergency in a foreign country? Should something unfortunate or unforeseen happen to you, would the resort you'd chosen be the kind of place you'd feel would be well equipped to address your children's safety & best interest?

There is a correct time & way to introduce the world to a child, and more importantly, a correct age. A preschool child has no business outside of a family resort, in my opinion. There are just too many things that can go wrong.

As for the comment about the pool often being the only entertainment kids need for the day: it doesn't take too many children at a pool to become very loud, not that they are necessarily being bad, they are just being kids. How fair is that to the other guests who weren't expecting it?

I don't think I'd appreciate the pool at my hotel being appropriated as the babysitting area for children any more than I'd like it being garnered by spring breakers I wasn't expecting or a bunch of drunkards.

Maybe Hawaii IS a better choice if you don't want to be restricted to a Beaches-type Caribbean resort. Maybe it's cleaner, safer, more modern. Never been so I don't know.

Eight families loaded with young ones should be able to afford to rent a couple of private villas in close proximitiy, allowing them to do as they please. They'll probably need to be prepared for a big damage deposit tho. That should be no problem if the children are well parented.

Old Aug 6th, 2000, 02:16 PM
Debbi

Why don't we just answer the question??? Instead of lengthy responses on the behavior of children!!! Anyone who goes to a resort that allows kids to stay there & they don't want to see or hear kids, then they are the dumb ones - it's their own fault!!

We have stayed at Wyndham Rose Hall in Jamaica and I wouldn't recommend it. This resort "allowed" children to stay there & there were no activities available - even though they advertise them.

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 06:25 AM
Banks

Wow, Debbi,
I notice you didn't specifically answer the original question so it's probably not fair to be so critical of those who expressed legitimate concerns for the children or for non-child toting tourists. I can't specifically answer it either, but I respect their concerns & don't think they should be banned to Hedo or Couples anymore than kids (traveling together in reasonable numbers) should be banned to Beaches, tho it is a great choice for families.

When we take the kids, we prefer to rent a rent a condo on Seven Mile on Grand Cayman, as many families do. Grand Cayman is a very family friendly island, though kids might get bored if staying longer than a week. Not a lot in the way of children's programs so it's necessary to entertain & supervise them yourself, which we don't mind in the least & there are enough attractions to satisfy them in addition to quality beach time.

It truly doesn't take a genius to understand why people would cringe at the thought of EIGHT FAMILIES with A WHOLE BUNCH OF KIDS at their chosen hotel. I love kids, but sure wouldn't want to be descended upon by the entire Mickey Mouse Club!

I'm sorry you had a bad experience at Rose Hall. You reinforce the exact fact being expressed --- taking kids to a resort that is designed to specifically cater to families (not just touting a children's program) is much better for all, specially the kids.

Thank you for pointing that out.
M. Banks

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 09:56 AM
Noach

Some excellent points made in this thread, especially by "Mr. Nobody".

I don't think taking very young children to most of the Caribbean is wise.

Old Aug 8th, 2000, 08:42 PM
Pete

Take them on a Mickey Cruise that caters to little ones and pre-teens or.... take them to Haiti and maybe you can at least fly home on a quiet flight

Old Aug 9th, 2000, 07:30 AM
Eileen

Someone give this lady answers and stop pontificating about children! I have two young children and sometime I travel with them and sometime I don't, so I appreciate both sides. I like peace and quiet when they are not with me and great family activities when they are! Check out La Cabana Resort in Aruba, Atlantis in the Bahamas and Hyatt Cerramar in Puerto Rico -- all good for kids and lots of activities. Have a great time, last time I checked it was a free country and people can travel wherever and with who they want! P.S. For those of you who don't want to be around children Grace Bay Club/Turks & Caicos has a no children under 12 rule!

Old Aug 9th, 2000, 11:14 AM
Terry

(Eileen, if you will refer to the original post, you will see that you did not answer her specific question either.)

The flippant attitudes of some parents here make it clear that the attitudes of those who don't wish to vacation with other people's children are that way for a reason.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -