Search

Travel w/ Baby to Dominican

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2004, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel w/ Baby to Dominican

Hello,

I haeva weird questions. Does anyone know if the milk at the resorts ( I am staying at Iverostar Dominicana) is the same as our milk? My 14 month old drinks 2 gallons a week and I am not sure if he will get sick from the milk? Please help!

Tina
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 06:40 AM

I am going to take a shot at this because as an RN the question intrigued me. Did some research on-line, especially at US CDC site - from what I can determine, you can not be sure that milk in the Caribbean has been pasteurized. Since there is no way to know by look or taste, and I am not sure I would take the hotel's word for it, I might be concerned. If you were able to purchase milk at a store in a sealed contained that said it was pasteurized, that would be safe. But I don't even know if milk sold in stores in DR is pasteurized. And then there is the refrigeration issue.

You might want to bring powdered milk with you to mix with bottled water when you get there - but at the rate of over a quart of milk a day (which is really a lot of milk for a 14 month old to be drinking!) - that would take up a lot of luggage space. Still, I don't think I would risk local milk. Perhaps someone else is more familiar with milk processing in DR.
Old Mar 19th, 2004, 07:11 AM

Hi
Gail is right i'm also an RN. Bring power milk, i live in the DR. You can not trust the milk. I myself only drink powered milk.
Have a good time.Need info while in the DR.email me [email protected]
Red
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 06:55 PM
LCB

The milk at the Iberostar is nothing like milk in the USA. I second bringing powdered milk and make sure you mix it with the bottled water the hotel provides. We stayed there last summer and our family gave up milk for a week. Enjoy your trip though, its a great resort. We had a great time.
Old Mar 24th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice! I had a heck of a time finding out that info.

Tina