Travel Insurance, cruise, shore excursion

Old Feb 27th, 2019, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel Insurance, cruise, shore excursion

I booked a cruise with an overnight in Havanna. If you book a shore excursion with the cruise line, you are covered under their travel "license/certification" and their travel insurance. I want to book the same shore excursion at 1/3 the price and purchase Travel Guard Insurance. The problem is Travel Guard wants me to fill out a certificate saying the reason I am traveling to Cuba. The option could be Support for the Cuban people because the Group People to People option seems to be for group excursions with the cruise line. Has anyone purchased Travel Guard insurance for a cruise and what was the reason you used for your trip to Cuba. (The US government doesn't seem to accept FUN as a reason.) Thanks I hope this wasn't to confusing.
Old Feb 27th, 2019, 06:12 PM

There is a recent trip advisor thread on Royal Caribbean cruises that says that cruise line employees may say you can't do your own excursions, but they were able to do so easily. They checked off "Support for Cuban People."

Our own experience (pre-Trump), not by cruise ship, was that the only thing our airline seemed to care about was our filling out the Visa. And, they didn't seem to care which box we checked. No one ever looked at it after we boarded the flight.

I believe technically you still need to keep receipts for five years, and the only changes I am aware of: you cannot shop (or stay if you were not on a cruise) in a military-owned establishment, and there are many of them, and you can't do independent travel if you state "People to People" is your purpose. I have seen lists of off-limits visits on the internet in the past.

Just be careful to get back to your cruise ship before it departs. Probably not a good idea to take a jaunt outside of Havana in a 1950's car that might break down. Other than that, have fun; presumably almost anything you do (except maybe spending the day at the beach and you can do that elsewhere) will support the Cuban people. We had a great time.
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I used Support for the Cuban people and got a Travel Guard policy for the trip.