Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Travel for active 70 somethings... (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/travel-for-active-70-somethings-305274/)

cdnabroad Feb 15th, 2008 09:10 AM

Travel for active 70 somethings...

Where do you recommend for mid-late 70's couple to visit. Active but not looking for high adventure at this point! Suggestions?

steviegene Feb 15th, 2008 09:48 AM

More details about what you like or what your travel style is would be helpful. Answering some of the following questions will help people narrow your choices....

What is most important to you in a vacation? Relaxing or sight-seeing? Is laying on the beach your top priority or do you want to do non-beach activities too?

What kinds of activities do you want to have access to? Snorkeling? Diving? Horseback riding? Jeep Tours? Gambling? Great gourmet restaurants? Nightlife? Live music? Boat excursions? etc. etc. etc.

Are you looking for lush vegetation or white beaches?
Or dramatic scenery? Or stunning underwater life?

Do you want a resort-style all-inclusive vacation where you stay on the resort for all activities and meals, or a more independent style where you stay in a hotel and go out for activities and meals?

cdnabroad Feb 15th, 2008 11:21 AM

I'm looking into this for my parents. They are in their late-70's and have done a fair bit of traveling in the past but always with other couples. They plan to go on their own this year but have in the past always traveled with other couples. They're active and fit (enjoy walking). I don't think they'll be quite so independent on their own this year and given their ages I think that they would benefit from a resort situation where they have access to organized outings via bus, etc. They enjoy beach walking, snorkelling, exploring/sightseeing, shopping, dining/evening entertainment. Would prefer oceanview of some sort from room/balcony. All-inclusive or easy access to dining prefered.

ishkribbl Feb 15th, 2008 12:50 PM

My parents are now 80 and have travelled extensively all over the world for 60 years; however, they started going on and enjoying cruises in their mid 60's. It is much easier in many ways- they don't have to wonder how to get around when they are over the age limit to rent a car, there are others to socialize with IF they want to or they can choose not to, there are activities they can choose or not, there aren't checks to look at and tips to figure (although they are still perfectly capable), there is a ship's doctor (although Dad IS one) if either of them get sick or hurt,they don't have to be constantly moving from city to city or hotel to hotel because someone else is moving them there and in comfort, etc., etc. They have been on quite a few and some out of the ordinary (Antarctica on an explorer type outing) and have been on several European trips- Greek Isles, etc. so there are lots of places to see and in many price ranges. There are lots of cruise lines leaving from places all over the globe- have you considered it? They have especially enjoyed some of the Cunard trips. There are also some cruise companies that have small, luxury ships in the Virgin Islands, too- don't remember the names but saw the boat in SJ- looks very nice, also.

ishkribbl Feb 17th, 2008 04:59 PM

cdnabroad- I was hoping you would have gotten more ideas so I could pass them along if my parents were looking for ideas (however, they are headed to Tuscany for 3 weeks in April with another couple so I guess they don't need my ideas just yet)- hope you worked something out and that they have a wonderful time.