Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Travel Channel top 10 Carribean resort destinations

Jul 28th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Alot of posters come here for suggestions on where to go on vacation, for a quick getaway, honeymoon or to escape for some romance.

Tonight I caught the Travel Channel's top 10 and thought I would post it for reference.

10. Hyatt Regency Aruba
9. Caneel Bay St. John
8. Parrot Cay Turks and Caicos
7. Little Dix Bay Virgin Gorda
6. Beaches Turks and Caicos
5. Ritz CArlton St. Thomas
4. Four Season Nevis
3. Atlantis Paradise Island, Bahamas
2. Sandy Lane Barbados

and the number 1 spot goes to......

1. Hotel Maroma Cancun, Mexico

I was surprised to see a Beaches, but the report raved about the place and it was the only "all inclusive" on the list. Great for families.

I had not heard of the Hotel Maroma, and wondered if anyone else had.

I was also surprised that St. Barth and Harbour Island did not make the list at all this year.

Wondered what you all think....

Jul 28th, 2007, 04:14 PM

I saw the top ten beaches in Florida the other night and they had Smathers Beach in Key West on their list. I don't know how they determine their top 10's but I would put a lot of stock in it. Smather's Beach is a man made beach which often has a very bad odor.
Jul 28th, 2007, 06:24 PM

travelbuff,

I have seen that show before...it must have been a repeat.

I like watching Anthony Bourdin who travels around the world showing you "off the beaten track" places to go.
Jul 28th, 2007, 07:50 PM

Maroma is half way between Playa del Carmen and Cancun. It is a lovely setting in the jungle. We went when we were blown off Anguilla and had to find an alternate destination. When we were there they were planning to put a larger all-inclusive nearby (some current reports refer to the noisy hotel next door) but it had a marvelous beach altho the wind made the water a bit choppy and it was very isolated. I certainly didn't find it worth the mega $$ for a Mexico resort but my issues centered on the room that had no chair to sit on so I dragged one in from the porch; altho promised and paid for oceanview, you had to stand just at the right spot and turn your head just so to see the water altho it did overlook lovely gardens and the pool; and there were septic problems and the smell was overwhelming during the heat of the day! Tony Blair stayed there and totally enjoyed it but guessing he didn't have our room. Actually I am more surprised at what wasn't included on the list but Maroma over all those other destinations ... don't think so! http://www.maromahotel.com (that's a pix of the room on the 3rd floor overlooking the pool on the website).
I did like the location and found that it was convenient for sightseeing Tulum, Cozumel, ChickenItza and great restaurants in Playa!
<g> how come three of their top 10 Caribbean resorts aren't even in the Caribbean?
Jul 29th, 2007, 03:05 PM

I caught that Travel Channel "Top 10" show as well, and just so people are aware... I watched the credits, and it was produced in 2002!

I'd be concerned that 4-5 years is just far too long to trust a hotel review or resort recommendation (and it really wasn't clear where the rankings came from in the first place).
Jul 30th, 2007, 01:38 PM

Yes, familiar with Maroma.

Gorgeous setting, beautiful furniture and a powder-white sandy beach. Beaches are not crowded either. There is a resort to the south but nothing yet to the north of it so the beach is great for long walks. Personally, I think its too expensive for the area but it a great respite from the craziness of Cancun and the burgeoning Playa del Carmen.
Jul 30th, 2007, 01:57 PM

I looked at Maroma's website, and while lovely, is crazy expensive!
Jul 30th, 2007, 02:09 PM

That particular show has been aired so many times it's a bit of a bore.

While several of the resorts mentioned (Little Dix, Four Seasons, Parrot Cay and Sandy Lane maintain their "elite" status, like bballinger, I'm not sure the rest still qualify as being among the "Ten Best".

Caneel Bay has been suffering from "food service" and overall "guest Service" problems for a couple of years, Ritz Carlton, St. Thomas is a nice hotel but it's really not on a great beach, Beaches Resort in the T&C's is admittedly a pricey resort (mainly because it's All Inclusive) but certainly not in the class of being a "Best of" resort. I've not been to Hyatt Aruba so I won't comment and if you subscribe to the theory that Bigger is Better than Atlantis would have to be high on that list due to its shear size. The thing is elegance in a Caribbean Resort should not be equated with "hughness" (if there is such a word).

Maroma is nice, expensive and has a great spa, which most women equate with being "Best". It just wasn't my cup of tea. By the way, I got a chuckle from one scene near the end of the Maroma segment showing a couple walking along the beach with the sun just on the horizon - the implication was, of course, it was a sunset stroll. Since the resort faces East that scene must have been shot very early in the morning. I feel sorry for anyone who gets duped by such a photo but that type of photo appears in many brochures for resorts with the "wrong" exposure. The moral is you can't always believe what you see on TV and in magazines.
Jul 31st, 2007, 01:45 PM

I saw this same show several years ago. Our criteria is clearly quite different. Mostly the best thing I can say is we found a lot of places that we crossed off of our list. Some of these places look like run-down camps that I wouldn't give you $25 a night for,let alone what they charge. Some are genuinely nice, the Hyatt, the Ritz, and FS(My favorite!). Sandy Lane is nice but Barbados offers many other nice properties for a fraction of the price. AND, there are so many great places that got left off. I guess it's a good thing we don't all enjoy vacationing in the same way.