Search

Travel b/t St. George's & Dockyards

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2006, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel b/t St. George's & Dockyards

Hello,
I've started to do a bit of research for my trip and have two full days in Bermuda. I'm staying at the Fairmont Hamilton Princess and was hoping to do the southshore beaches one day and split St. George's/Dockyards for the other day. I'm running into that the ferry will not be operating from St. George to the Dockyards since it will not be high season. How could I change my itinerary to accomplish seeing all three in two days. (I know it will be busy, but we're the type of crew who can 'experience' a place in a small amount of time! )

Thanks for any suggestions,
Karen
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 07:35 AM

No worries: We have done the exact same thing. The bus/ferry system on Bermuda is great. I would suggest that you head out to St. George's in the morning by bus. Come back early afternoon and then catch the ferry from Hamilton to the dockyards in the mid to late afternoon. Get an all day ferry/bus pass. Despite what you might think, you won't need alot of time at the dockyards as it is mostly shopping and restaurants.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandjoy for letting me know this is 'doable!'--Just to make sure--there is nothing direct from St. George to Dockyards without going through Hamilton...

-K
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 08:51 AM

I don't think you would want to stay on the bus from St. George's to Hamilton, and I believe that you would have to change or at least stop in Hamilton. I think the ferry from Hamilton to the DOckyards is a nice experience.
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 09:29 AM

Karen, would you be interested in renting mopeds? We've been to Bermuda lots of times and always tour the island on a moped for 2. My husband drives and I just enjoy the scenery! We have gone from the Dockyard to St. George. I just have to point out that if your time is limited, you could skip the Dockyard all together. There's really not much there other than a few restaurants and an indoor mall (that has the same trinket/tourist shops that you'll find in Hamilton). St. George has an old world feel and more worth the trip. You may also like the Botanical Gardens. Have a great time! We just LOVE Bermuda!
Old Feb 24th, 2006, 06:59 PM

The "dirty secret" of Bermuda is the # of deaths last year by mopeds. They are trying to pressure the renters to give more explicit instructions, yes, locals have been killed two.. The roads are narrow and you drive on the "wrong" side and then there are the "roundabouts" On one of our last trips there were two amblances waiting for people who had been on mopeds, one woman was taken to the ship directly from the hospital and many people walk around with a "road" tan or broken leg or arm... A bus from St. George to Hamilton (any route..might be #11) is fun.. There is a ferry from Hamilto to the Dockyard. I've been to Bermuda 10 times and haven't seen it all..On one of our last trips we finally took a tour of the entire island.. Oh yes.. when you get to the bus station in Hamilton about 3 or 4.. the kids are getting out of school...
Old Feb 26th, 2006, 02:26 PM
magay

I would concur that the plan is doable. Check the little island guide that you will probably get in your hotel. There is a silly little show they do in St. George's in the morning on certain days of the week. Take the bus to St. George's in the morning, maybe have lunch there, take a different bus route back to Hamilton (maybe do lunch in Hamilton instead), then take the ferry to the Dockyards, walk around, take the bus back to Hamilton and see the smallest drawbridge in the world.

The other alternative would be to do the Dockyards in the morning (bus or ferry there), have lunch at the Frog and Onion (save room for dessert), back to Hamilton, then bus to and from St. George's.

Would recommend doing dinner one night at Elbow Beach - some of the better restaurants on the island are there, in my opinion.

Have fun!