Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Travel Advice Needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/travel-advice-needed-589034/)

paygo827 Feb 7th, 2006 11:21 AM

Travel Advice Needed

I am heading to Puerto Plata with my boyfriend in March. It was a lot cheaper to fly into the Santiago airport, but now I am having trouble finding a cab service from the airport to the hotel. Any suggestions on the best way to get from the airport to my hotel?

doug_stallings Feb 7th, 2006 11:55 AM

If you have already booked your flight, you should speak directly to your hotel and ask them to help you. Unfortunately, flights into Santiago are cheap but come in at odd hours, placing you almost 2 hours from Puerto Plata often in the middle of the night. If you fly in at a decent hour, the road between Santiago and Puerto Plata is pretty good, so you could rent a car. If you can still change your flight, I'd encourage you to do so, but start with the hotel if you can't. And make sure that you have your arrangements worked out before your arrival.

doreenwol Feb 14th, 2006 10:08 AM

Doug, I was told Puerto Plata is only about 25 miles from Santiago. Are you saying it will take 2 hours to travel 25 miles. Are the roads that bad?
We were going to stay 4 nights in Puerto Plata and then a 3 nights in Santiago with a eco side trips (Jarabacoa) or stay right at Rancho Baiguate (can't seem to find to much on Rancho Baiguate). Traveling with 4 adults / 5 kids ages 10-17 - any recommendations?

doug_stallings Feb 14th, 2006 12:43 PM

I've never actually done the drive from Santiago to Puerto Plata, though my author has, and she tells me the trip takes at least an hour. I'd like to appeal to anyone who has done this trip to tell us more about it. The fact that it's 25 miles doesn't in itself tell you much. A trip of that length in the D.R. can often take an hour since the roads are narrow, so you can't drive fast, even if the road is pretty good.

JC11743 Feb 27th, 2006 10:45 AM

We recently flew into Santiago (Delta) and had a taxi bring us to our resort in Puerto Plata. We were a group consisting of four adults and four children, so we took two vans to and from the airport. I arranged for transportation through our resort. The drivers were waiting for us with our names printed on signs and were very easy to find.

At 3:30 pm on a Saturday afternoon it took about 90 minutes to reach Puerto Plata. Traffic was not too bad, however we were delayed for approximately 10 - 15 minutes due to road construction. We left the resort at noon the following Saturday and it only took 65 - 70 minutes to reach the airport. The vans cost $90 per van, each way. However, because we could fly non-stop to Santaigo from JFK, we felt it was a better choice.

doreenwol Feb 27th, 2006 02:13 PM

Thanks for the hands on info about time/transfer to Puerto Plata. Now I'm looking for any info on Rancho Baiguate for 2 nights? Is anyone familiar?

Withane Apr 2nd, 2006 05:32 AM

Maybe those of you with experience flying to and from could help me, too. I'm going to La Romana in December and are finding the flights options to that airport are extremely limited & expensive - basically only American Airlines, about $800 per person roundtrip from Boston. My questions are these:
Should I consider using a different airport?
Or should I just pay for the convenience of La Romana?
Is it likely that prices will come down at all between now and December, or should I book now to be sure we get a ticket?
Thanks for your expert advice!

Henrifrederic Sep 9th, 2015 02:04 PM

The drive from Puerta Plata should take you about 1 Hour. I always make arrangements with a Taxi service prior to arriving. The cost should be approximately $120 US. If you chose to travel over the mountains? the roads are good and quite picturesque. I have done it several times.

If you need some historical places to see while in the Dominican Republic? Go to amantesdelsaber.com It is in Spanish and has all the interesting facts about the country.

suze Sep 10th, 2015 02:03 PM

This thread is 9 years old