Transportation on Virgin Gorda

Oct 22nd, 2006, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Transportation on Virgin Gorda

We're going to be in VG in a couple of months for my brother's wedding. We have a 5 year old and a 2 1/2 year old. We're staying at a villa. I am just now thinking about transportation once we get there. I assume that we should rent a car and bring the car seats? Can't believe that this detail has escaped me until now. (YIKES!)
Oct 23rd, 2006, 05:21 AM

If you are staying at a villa you will need a car on VG. You should check with the rental car companies to see if they have car seats. Keep in mind though the seat may not be as sturdy looking as the one you have back home. Driving is not too bad on VG and there is hardly any traffic.
Oct 23rd, 2006, 06:52 AM

We bring our own carseat these days, after the first year of finding disgusting or inadequate rental carseats. We invested in a "Tripleplay" stroller/carseat which is FAA approved and I can't believe we ever went without it. It's a bit pricey at @$200 and I've only found it on the internet, but I can definitely recommend it. There are a couple of other similar products out there as well. The Tripleplay can be used for kids up to 40 lbs. so this is probably not good for the 5 year old, but you can bring a booster seat fairly easily.
Oct 23rd, 2006, 07:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you mnag and tuxedocat! Now I'm getting greedy, I'd love any advice/recommendations that you might have regarding bringing children to VG.
Oct 24th, 2006, 04:01 AM

Hi, we are headed to VG in a few weeks with a small child as well. We are renting a villa and we did rent a car, I think it was mahogany rentals. They offer a discount also if you pay cash. We have the tripleplay stroller that tuxedocat mentioned. It is great. It has saved us so much headache not having to bring a stroller and car seat.
But yes, definitely bring your own car seat. Some companies might have them, but its not going to be the quality you want.
I am sure you will have a great time. VG is a very quiet island, the beaches are wonderful, calm waters and soft sand. Perfect for kids.
Oct 24th, 2006, 05:57 AM

The grocery store in the center of town will have all the basics (milk, eggs, butter, cheese and chicken nuggets). One day they ran out of milk (there was no milk to buy anywhere on the island). I would take some parmalat just in case. I would also take the dry stuff from home like cheerios, mac and cheese, crackers etc. Sturdy shoes for the little one especially if you plan on visiting the baths. Our villa had some beach toys for the kids so check with your villa. And lots of sun screen. Also its a long trip from anywhere to VG so bring some crayons etc for the plane to keep the little one occupied. Lastly check the ferry schedule. Coming back from VG, the last ferry was at 11am or so (cant remember exactly but I think we came back on a Sat) but our flight from Tortola was much later so we ended up spending a lot of time at the airport. VG is an amazing place and I'm sure you will have a great time. Hope this helps.
Oct 25th, 2006, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the travel tips everyone - good to know a car rental place and that I should bring some provisions (parmalat). You folks are all awesome!
Cindy

Search this Thread