Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Transportation in Nassau/Paradise Island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 07:00 AM
liz

How easy is it to get around Nassau and Paradise island? I'll arrive by cruise ship and only have one day on the island. Any info on transportation and things to see and do would be very helpful.

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 07:16 AM
Susan

it's very easy..the buses are .75cents and they run all the time to everywhere..there are "ferry" boats that leave from the dock area over to paradise island every half hour for about 6 bucks roundtrip. believe me, there's ALWAYS someone there ready (and more than willing) to take you wherever you want to go. atlantis is fun to see, very impressive, but alot of areas are off limits to visitors..(you can sneak in though) the staw market is overrated but something to see none-the-less..the main street (i think it's bay street?) has lots of more upscale shops..great deals on jewlery..you really don't need more than one day in Nassau..a few hours there, a few at Atlantis on P.I. will do the trick.

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 07:17 AM
Mark

You can take whats called the Jitney ( bus service) around the Island .75 cents <BR>That would get you all the way around the island- where the ships port is where eveything is at anyway - not much else to travel around for..

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 11:22 AM
Pam

I stayed at Atlantis on Paradise Island. It is awesome. We almost never wanted to leave the resort however, we walked over the bridge and downtown to the Straw Market and looked at the area. We also rented mopeds and took a tour of the town. I don't recommend going too far out of the tourist areas. The areas are poor and even though we're black Americans and thought that we would blend in, we still were a bit uneasy.

Old Aug 4th, 1999, 06:59 PM
Bob Morton

Liz; <BR> I don't know how tight your schedule is, but ditto with the reco's so far. Also, though, you may want to contact Bahama Divers for a morning Snorkeling adventure to shallow, but beautiful reefs. They will take under water videos of your snorkeling dive and it's only about $25 for great video shots of you and your family swimming through the reefs. Baracuda Shoals are a great snorkeling site. Bahama Divers are located on the Nassau side of the Paradise Island Bridge, and above them is the world famous "Poop Deck" restaurant, which has incredible sea food at moderate prices. The grouper was swimming in the ocean the same day. Also, after snorkeling and a great lunch at the Poop Deck, walk back to the Paradise Island Bridge(about 1/8 mile away) and stroll through "Potter's Cay" underneath the bridge. Fishing boats from all over bring in their catches. Great photo opportunity, and you may see grouper, shark, cages with thousands of land crabs from the outer islands, conch galore being prepared, etc. Have fun. Bob <BR>