Transport from Culebra to St. Thomas in December

Jul 26th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Transport from Culebra to St. Thomas in December

I have need to travel from Culebra or Fajardo to St. Thomas (ultimate destination St. John) in December. I am traveling alone... is there a water taxi, flight or reasonable charter anyone is aware of to make this happen?
Jul 27th, 2010, 05:12 AM

There used to be a ferry from Fajardo to STT but I'm not sure if it is still operating. It ran once a week (Saturday's) and departed Fajardo around 5PM and took about 2 hours. The cost was $125 PP each way. You can find more information here (scroill down to bottom of page):

http://www.vinow.com/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/

A water taxi will be very expensive (think in terms of $800 to $1,000) and because you'll be crossing 100 miles or so of "open water" the ride could be very "lumpy" - not recommended unless you are an experienced "blue water sailor".

There are several companies that offer private charter flights but I doubt the cost would meet your definition of "reasonable" - think in terms of around $1,500 to $2,000 for a small (5 or 6 passenger) plane.

American Eagle (www.aa.com) and Cape Air (www.flycapeair.com) have daily commercial flights to STT from SJU. I'm pretty sure Cape Air has the lowest fares (around $125 to $150 PP each way). Flight is about 30 minutes.
Jul 27th, 2010, 05:43 AM

There are flights from San Juan, but you'd have to fly or take the ferry back to Puerto Rico and then get to the St. Thomas flight. It's going to be fairly expensive, difficult, and time-consuming regardless.

If you look into anything, try seeing what it would cost to charter a small plane to take you directly from Culebra to St. Thomas, but I think you're still talking about $500 to $1,000.
Jul 27th, 2010, 07:27 AM

I think Doug's estimates for the charter flight from Culebra to STT are on the low side. More than likely ivyhouse would have to pay for the "deadhead" flight from the charter's home airport (most likely one of the airports in San Juan) to Culebra plus the flight itself from Culebra to STT than the deadhead flight back to the the plane's home base. That's about 2 to 2.5 hours of flying so even if the going rate were $500/hour you are talking about $1,500. Regardless, private plane charters are not a cheap means of travel and only become economical if you have close to the maximum amount of passengers willing to share the fee.