Tourists robbed at gunpoint in USVI

Jun 25th, 2002, 06:52 PM
Gelopee

Tourists robbed at gunpoint in USVI

http://www.virginislandsdailynews.com/index.pl/article_home?id=150032

That web site is a great source of crime listings. Be safe!

Jun 26th, 2002, 01:43 AM
misleading

The article actually refers to the SENTENCING of an individual who committed a robbery earlier this year on St Croix. That's GOOD news Gelopee not bad news. The guy was caught, tried and is going to jail for a year.
Why do you wish to add to the paranoia about crime on this website?

Jun 26th, 2002, 02:27 AM
Susan

Gelopee-
I agree that it is good to keep people informed with what is going on in the islands.

Jun 26th, 2002, 06:59 AM
Cruzan Confusion

I'd also like to point out that the particular area where the robbery took place is fairly deserted and people in general are advised not to go there except in large groups. Sounds like this particular couple were there alone. Not trying to blame the victim, the crime shouldn't have happened, but I would not go to a deserted spot that I did not know well at home, let alone on vacation.

I do agree with "misleading" that the sentencing of the robber is good news, this guy will be out of commission and maybe others will think twice. Gelopee's headline is inflammatory in that it's old news with regard to the actual crime.

Jun 26th, 2002, 09:01 AM
webmaster

Looks like the internet terrorist strikes again. Tracking the posting back indicates it did not come from the listed sender.

This appears to be one of many recent postings on the Fodor's boards that seek to malign the USVI.

Sure wish the folks who run the board would at least make some effort to prevent these bogus postings.

Jun 26th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Karen

I thought there was no crime against tourists in the USVI?

Jun 26th, 2002, 10:30 AM
KIM

i just came back from st. croix , i spent 12 days there and did not have or see a problem. we had a wonderful time and the people there are so nice. we stayed in town and went out of our hotel at night for dinner and drinks. its common sense not go walking around back streets any where. the island is beautiful, the restaurants were all wonderful! i would go back to st. croix in a heartbeat. give st. croix a break and maybe you should look at jamaica re:CRIME

Jun 27th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Gelopee

Three cruise ship lines pulled out of St. Croix recently - Carnival, Norwegian, and Holland America. They listed the increased crime against tourists as one of the reasons. In response, the police are creating a new unit to patrol various hotspots with a history of criminal acts against tourists. Read about it in the St. Thomas Source:

http://new.onepaper.com/stthomasvi/?v=d&i=&s=Newsocal&p=52356

Be safe!

Jun 28th, 2002, 07:55 AM
bUdNiP

Kim,

Have you ever been to Jamaica?Sounds like not.I have wander all over hells half acre with no problem.Back streets and all.Give it a break.

Jun 28th, 2002, 08:11 AM
U.R. Nutty

These crime threads are so laughable. Perhaps we should start reporting crimes in the U.S. too and not unfairly pick on the islands. Visitors to the USVI, Jamaica or St. Martin are much safer there than in sections of Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Atlanta, Newark and scores of American cities. People don't bat an eyelash going to much more dangerous American cities, but a couple robberies on St. Martin and everyone panics and makes other plans.

Jun 28th, 2002, 08:30 AM
anon

The only difference is you don't stand out as a tourist in your homeland.

Jun 28th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Sal

Someone killed me in the Virgin Islands

Jun 28th, 2002, 09:17 AM
sympathy

Sal,
So sorry to hear about your death at the hands of the evil Virgin Islanders. Where may I send the flowers. And please let me know about the funeral arrangements.

Jun 28th, 2002, 03:15 PM
Faina

And what is your favorite charity to send donations to? Fodors.com?

Jun 28th, 2002, 03:47 PM
footjoy

Hi Kim,

Walking the backstreets in Jamaica? You are playing against the odds.Be glad no one has slit your pretty throat yet.Be Careful.We love you!
Footjoy

Jun 28th, 2002, 08:25 PM
steve

Here's a really good unbiased article about the impact of crime in the USVI on the tourist industry. St. Croix is being devastated, and I applaud the steps they are taking, such as programs to educate the tourist and naval personnel about what areas should be avoided to prevent criminal acts. I did not realize til I read the article that part of the problem is tourists refusing to return to testify even though they are paid to return.

http://new.onepaper.com/stthomasvi/?v=d&i=&s=Newsocal&p=52371

Jun 29th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Read

It amazes me how people turn a blind eye to a place that has a serious crime problem and People saying "these crime threads are laughable", and the "paranoia about crime", etc. The tourist boards (and the travel agencies!) do their best to hide these FACTS> GO to National Review Online and read "Jamaica Farewell", by Dave Kopel, you just might have a different opinion about these "internet terrorist" posts.

Jul 1st, 2002, 06:18 AM
kim

budnip, i agree with footjoy! you are just luckey.its sad that you can't teach people common sense.why would anyone walk the back streets where they are not wanted. take the time and read jamaica farewell by dave kopel at nro, and get a clue.

Jul 1st, 2002, 09:17 AM
bUdNiP

I would never walk were I was not wanted.I am always welcomed by the Jamaican people.Yes I have had a few hassels,none life threatening.If a person stands their ground and shows respect they will be OK.Now if you look like a deer in the headlights at the first sign of trouble,then yes you will be a target.I do travel to the tourist areas and have never been to Kingston.I agree with the article that the gun and drug laws should be repealed.Since we have never met I do not think you should question my common sense,I am only giving my true life accout of what I have saw and done.How many times have you been to Jamaica again ?

Jul 1st, 2002, 11:38 AM
Jerry Falwell

I agree. Be sure to read that National Review article. Doesn't it just make you sick how them foreigners want to run their own countries. The nerve of them 'native' types trying to act like they are civilized enough to make decisions. Why don't they all bow down to the great colonial powers like fifty years ago.....seems like there were no problems when those 'locals' knew their place in society.

Jerry 'Redneck' Falwell.