Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Tough decision: Cap Juluca, Biras Creek, or Peter Island Resort?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 09:59 AM
gab

I'm planning a trip to late January and could use your help. Which of these places is the best (though they all sound wonderful)?

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 10:57 AM
mitch

We've been to Peter Island and Biras Creek within the last two years. We prefer Peter-- much better physical condition, better food and service, friendly staff. It is American run, while Biras is UK run.

Old Nov 9th, 2001, 03:36 PM
Karen

oh wow! it is a tuff decision. I love all three and I hate "best," "better," questions since so much depends on the person. First two are easier to compare:<BR>Biras - small, intimate, confortable, small wonderful beach, on three bays accessable only by water, dining out difficult at best other than at Bitter End (don't!) and possibly the best food in the BVI's. Disadvantage is that altho the rooms are on a beach, the swimming beach is three-quarters of a mile away via complimentary bikes. Complimentary Boston Whalers to putt about North Sound a definate plus! I thought the owner of Biras was Argentine but it does get a wonderful mixture of European guests as well as Americans. Accomodations are spacious and comfortable with seperate sitting area and "outdoor" grotto shower overlooking the water. Dining at the top of the hill gives wonderful vistas all the way 'round. <BR>PIR - wonderful beachfront rooms with new redo just footsteps from the sand on Deadman's Bay. Feels small and intimate with the beachfront rooms being a distance from the other accomdoations. Found the Tradewinds especially on buffet nite busier as was Deadman's Bar on the beach at lunch time. More transients since the ferry is convenient and people come over but not so that it interferred with the resort guests. Picnic lunches on White Bay. Wonderful staff, some are 2nd generation! Again not easy to dine out if you choose but boat runs between Tortola and PIR regularly. Haven't been since the "new" menu but reportedly much improved in the recent past. Staff will transport if the walk is too far or you just would rather not walk. You could check out www.scubamom.com for her reviews of both places also.<BR>I loved both and would probably give the nod to PIR only because of the wonderful beaches but then I spent hours on a float just watching the rays and fish swim around me at Biras. I just prefer being in a room where I can roll from the bed, into the sand and into the water! <BR>Now, Cap! That's a tuff comparison. Driving up to it is breath-taking and the beach and setting is lovely. Three restaurants to choose from (well, one is tapas) but you have all those other good restaurants on Anguilla. Since it is more "modern" than either PIR or Biras, the architecture and accomodations are more luxurious - some rooms have private sunning decks, others have private pools and there is a variety of other lovely accomodations including some with "outdoor" double tubs. The beach is wonderful. Won't have the same snorkling, diving and sailing opportunities that you will have in the BVI but there are some. Check Cap's special prices (15% off in season) on their site and don't know if the others are offering any specials. Staff and people of Anguilla are absolutely delightful! Depending on where you are flying from, one location might be easier to get to with better flight times. Classic Caribbean Tours offers some good packages to Cap with air included if you can find an agent who represents them (they used to be on the web but don't book that way). Also EBay on Auction for America has a 4-nite stay at Cap starting at $1000. Don't know limitations but know a couple of people have bid. Check www.luxurylink.com too for special auctions since I've seen both Cap and PIR listed there. And Cap consistently comes in on the top of all the major lists! Wouldn't it be great if there was just one major thing that was terrible at any of 'em? It would make that choice so much easier.

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 03:36 AM
gab

We've now narrowed it down to Peter Island or Cap Juluca. (After reading about the location of Biras's beach--3/4 mile away from the resort by bike--it was easy to eliminate it, as I'll be 5+ months pregnant during our visit and can't picture myself negotiating the journey to and fro.)<BR><BR>Any further help deciding between these two resorts will be much appreciated.

Old Nov 10th, 2001, 07:15 PM
Louis

Considering your condition and the two choices you mention, the answer is easy. Everything at Cap Juluca is very flat. Also you will want the most luxurious quarters which is the case comparing the two.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 05:55 AM
penny

Gab-You have excellent advice IMHO from 2 experts on the caribbean Karen and Louis! Cap Juluca is a wonderful hotel and will have everything and more to make you happy. The beach is a your door, the rooms and baths are stunning. Its magical day and night with its moorish domes and beautiful long beach! You cannot go wrong. The sweet Anguillans , beautiful beaches and lots and lots of excellent restaurants on an uncrowded tranquill island will all add to your trip!

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 11:29 AM
gab

Thanks for all of your feedback. I keep wavering, and I need to decide in the next day or two.<BR><BR>At Peter Island, I could afford a beachfront room, while at Cap Juluca I could afford only the Superior room (possibly the Luxury room). Is the Luxury room worth it? It doesn't sound all that much bigger, but it's about $100 a day more. I wish the Junior Suite was in my reach--it sounds amazing--but I don't think I can swing it. And at Peter Island, I heard the rooms were just redone for this season. So are the claims that the Cap's rooms are more luxurious than those at Peter Island still valid?<BR><BR>So at Cap Juluca I'd be in probably the comparitively worst room in a super place, while in Peter Island I'd be staying in their highest-end room.<BR><BR>Another thing is the dining: in looking at the pictures on the websites of both properties, it seems that at Cap Juluca your view from the various restaurants feels more on the water, while Peter Island restaurants look to be a little more closed in. Maybe that's just the way the photographs look, though.<BR><BR>One of you wrote that the opportunities for snorkling and such were not as good at Cap than at PIR. Do others feel the same way?

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 03:52 PM
Karen

Tradewinds is enclosed and sits on the edge of the water overlooking it and the lites of Tortola. I am sure that you can still request to be seated outside for dining. It is not as open feeling toward the water as is Pimms but it is still lovely. We often requested the table that was furthest from the "view" since that side had sliding doors that were opened so we didn't get that feeling of being inside. There is a huge patio area and the pool is near the Tradewinds. Deadman's Bar is right on the beach in the middle and is open onto the beach but set a little further back. But there are the wonderful picninc lunches you can have delivered to you at White Bay so we seldom ate in Deadman's for lunch. Pimm's at Cap sits out on a little promotory and is open to the air across the front and Georges is about 1/4th the way down the beach on the beach. You did see the "special" prices on the web site, no? If you go to PIR's site there is an artist's rending of the planned renovations of the rooms.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 06:57 AM
gab

Thanks for the tip on the PIR website. Though I had looked at lots of the links on the site, I hadn't seen the one with the artist's renderings of the renovated rooms.<BR><BR>Does anyone know whether the Luxury rooms at Cap Juluca are worth the $100 per day extra over the price of the Superior rooms? It seems only slightly larger from the description on their site.<BR><BR>Also, how about my question re the snorkling. I've read that PIR has great snorkling. Is it not as good at the Cap?<BR><BR>Thanks again, everyone, for all of your advice. I know whatever I decide, I won't be disappointed with either place.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 07:22 AM
penny

All the rooms at CJ are lovely. The superior rooms are usually the center room, with lovely marble baths but not the heavy glass exterior walls and private sunning area. The outdoor patio is the same for all rooms! <BR><BR>Also you cannot beat the waterfront dining at CJ and other beach front spots all wihin 10 minutes of the hotel.<BR><BR>The snorkeling from the beach at CJ is not good-cannot compare with from the shore snorkeling at Virgin Gorda or St. John!<BR>Hope this helps.

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 09:34 AM
gab

Thanks again for this additional info. Does anyone know whether the Luxury rooms at CJ are worth the increased cost over the Superior rooms, given the only modest size increase?<BR><BR>Also, if the snorkeling at CJ is not great, are there other places on the island where the snorkeling compares with that in the BVIs?

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 09:58 AM
Karen

I understand that there are some good snorking on Anguilla at a couple of places but I'm not that familiar with them (Junk's Hole might be one and another spot when you climb down a rope - not in your conditon! Might be one and the same) but very few spots compare with the snorkling in the BVI and the number of places to have great snorkling. Not a lot right off Deadman's but some at either end of White Bay and there are wonderful spots that you can boat to both in and around PIR and the other islands as well. Cooper Island is one particular spot that many of the day trippers go and you can stay on Cooper which is lovely but not as luxurious as PIR. Might check out Guana Island too. Go to www.scubamom.com for diving and snorkling tips for the BVI. I was surprised at the lack of marine life in the waters around Anguilla and we were on several beaches. Cap does have a boat that will take you to snorkling spots but haven't done it ... maybe Penny is happier when snorkling than me.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 08:33 AM
gab

Thanks everyone for your input. I've made a decision, finally! Cap Juluca it is!

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 10:42 AM
Karen

Done deal! Now don't look back! Let's see - just two weeks from tomorrow just about this time, I'll be on Cap's beach! I'll put in a good word for you!

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 12:55 PM
Shari

Gab,<BR>Congrats on choosing CJ and Anguilla as your destination. For snorkeling on Anguilla, here are a couple of my favorites:<BR><BR>Shoal Bay East - easy swim to reef from beach. Also, off the point to the right is good snorkeling. Access in and out of deep water is a little trickier, but worth the effort.<BR><BR>Little Bay - (This is the one accessible by rope). The easier access is to go to Crocus Bay (where Roy's Place is, it's an English style pub). Once at Crocus Bay, look for Calvin. He will take you to Little Bay in his boat for $10 US pp/rt and return to pick you up at whatever time you wish. This really is a good spot...LOTS of fish. We found the cliffs on the right as you face the water from the beach to be better than the left side. Do the right side first.