Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Tortola, Virgin Gorda or Anegada? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/tortola-virgin-gorda-or-anegada-374283/)

tkdat Jun 6th, 2008 07:59 PM

Tortola, Virgin Gorda or Anegada?

We are trying to plan a trip to the BVI. We have 8 days, and we don't sail. Any recommendations on how to split the time AND the best way to get there from San Juan, PR (where our flight goes.) Snorkeling and good beaches are high on the list of things to do.

ejcrowe Jun 7th, 2008 04:59 AM

For snorkeling and beaches, of those three islands, I'd suggest Virgin Gorda, as it has more variety to offer than Anegada in terms of accommodations, restaurants, and other activities. From San Juan you can either fly directly over to Virgin Gorda on a tiny 8-seater commuter plane (Cape Air is one company that comes to mind). Or you can fly American Eagle to Beef Island, Tortola, and then catch the ferry over.

Without knowing what your price range might be, here are a few recs that run the gamut:

Biras Creek (expensive)
Little Dix Bay (expensive)
Fischer's Cove(inexpensive)
Mango Bay Villa Resort (mid range)
Guavaberry Spring Bay (mid range)
Mahoe Bay Villas (Expensive)
Nail Bay (inexpensive to expensive, depending on accommodation choice)

Take a daytrip to Anegada from Virgin Gorda with Double D Charter. Or use Double D for a really excellent snorkel trip with stops including the Caves and the Indians.

Eat at the Mineshaft, the Flying Iguana, and the Rock Cafe, among others.

nobull Jun 7th, 2008 10:09 AM

The best thing to do is to make Tortola your base. You can't get to all the other islands fairly easily from Tortola. Tortola has more choice in terms of accommodation and restaurants. You can easily do a couple of great day trips from Tortola (you will definitely want to do Jost Van Dyke, Virgin Gorda, even St. John). You can also do a day sail and then for the rest of the time -- just relax. You can fly to Tortola (EIS) direct from San Juan. The best snorkelling tends to be where the small boats can get in (e.g. Norman Island, Cooper Island, Monkey Reef) so you can do this one of the sail operations (Patouche is good). You will have great time.

jecrow Jun 7th, 2008 10:11 AM

I agree with making Tortola your base. With the ferries you can easily island hop. Don't miss a day trip to Jost Van Dyke. I also like Pusser's on Marina Cay -- there is a free ferry from Trellis Bay. I really like the Sugar Mill Hotel.

tkdat Jun 7th, 2008 06:58 PM

Are there ferries from San Juan to Tortola/Virgin Gordo? The hassle of making connections/ferries, etc. sounds difficult. Can you sail from San Juan straight to one of the islands?

blamona Jun 8th, 2008 04:25 AM

From San Juan to Tortola the best way to reach is by air-American Eagle has flights all day. There are no ferries. As for sailing, unless you're a pro and have a week, not recommended.

BaltoTraveler Jun 8th, 2008 07:34 AM

I put in my vote for Tortola as well. Rent a car while you're there because the whole island is easily accessible. (Much of Virgin Gorda is accessible only by boat.) Day trips to Anegada and Virgin Gorda for exploration and snorkeling are very easily arranged in Road Town, the harbor capital of Tortola.