Tortola: Sugar Mill Inn

Feb 12th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Tortola: Sugar Mill Inn

My husband,11 year old son and I will be staying at the SMI in a few weeks . Can anyone shed some light on the Dolphin Discovery program on the island? My son is very interested but doesn't want to promote a program that may be detrimental to the dolphins. Also, is Bomba's within walking distance of the SMI and is it too wild to bring an 11 year old to? Thanks for your help!
Feb 12th, 2005, 04:55 PM

Recommend typing "swimming with dolphins" in the search forum box. There are several recent posts. I will never do this after what I have read!!!
Feb 12th, 2005, 05:48 PM

I agree with brendandg about the dolphin program. Please don't do it.
The info you find when you do a search will give you a lot of answers to any questions you may have.

Bombas is pretty adult. There are bras and underpants hanging all over the bar, and their claim to fame is herbal tea that is hallucinogenic, and full moon and Sunday parties that can get pretty wild.

Sugar Mill is wonderful and romantic, and you have made a good choice in staying there. Have a super time!
Feb 12th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help. My husband and I enjoyed a dolphin adventure in Hawaii on our honeymoon 14 years(!!!) ago. Sounds like things have changed considerably since then. When my son reads the threads you suggested, I don't think he'll want to see dolphins in captivity. Does anyone have any suggestions for a kinder, gentler day adventure...perhaps a favorite snorkle/sail trip?
Feb 12th, 2005, 09:08 PM

Ahhh....the Bomba Shack....many a memory forgotten at the Bomba Shack! Full Moon parties....not sure if they are today as they once were. Definitely walking distance from SMI....about 10 minutes. Walking from the SMI to Sebastian's on the Beach...you pass the Bomba Shack. If you didn't know it....you'd miss it. A few shacks made of sheet metal with undergarments aplenty! Funny stuff! Have a great stay on Tortola! Love it!
Feb 13th, 2005, 05:51 AM

The Bomba Shack can get wild on Full Moon nights, after dark. We went there from Sebastian's and ate the great buffets and had no problems. The beach in front of SMI is rocky and small. I'd rent a 4-wheeler, and island explore with your son. SMI is off Apple Bay, which is beautiful, but you'll want to take him snorkeling to Smuggler's Cove and Cane Garden Gay as well. Purchase some high-quality snorkeling masks and snorkels, along with flippers, and take them along. Brewer's Bay is nice as well. He can spot many reef fish not far off these beaches in shallows around patch corals and rock formations. Remember, don't swim or snorkel in the early morning hours or at dusk. Robert
Feb 13th, 2005, 06:37 AM

I might add, we moved from Sebastian's to Cane Bay. While at Sebastian's, which had a very narrow beach, I would walk down to the Sugar Mill and relax at the bar under the tropical palms and foliage...very relaxing!! They had a very nice article written about them in Caribbean Travel and Live magazine years ago. Robert
Feb 13th, 2005, 06:54 AM

I think my husband and I have finally decided on the Sugar Mill, too, for our getaway with granddaughter this summer.

Is Bomba's always that wild, or only on full moon nights? Since it will be so close to where we're staying, I thought it might be fun for us to go one night for a drink--do they serve sodas, too? Is it really any wilder than, say, Bourbon Street?

Have to agree about the dolphin program on Tortola--not a good idea. Ask the folks at Sugar Mill to set you up on a daysail. From the reading I've done, I especially want to see & snorkel the Indians and Norman Island. I think we might leave hubby home one afternoon or morning while granddaughter and I go horseback riding, too. Your 11 year old might enjoy any of those.
Feb 13th, 2005, 07:27 AM

ejcrowe: I think you'll love the SMI. The restaurant is very good and the tropical setting on the hillside is very appealing. Depending on what time of year you go, you may not even know the Bomba Shack is there. It is a small beachside/roadside "shack" made of sheet metal and wood. It isn't really a bar/restaurant with posted hours. There isn't even a door. It is more of a "spot" than a business. The pool area at SMI is very nice and there is a small beach across the road where they have a little beachfront restaurnt. Little Apple Bay is the beach. Many beautiful, larger beaches a short drive away with Smuggler's Bay being our favorite.
Feb 13th, 2005, 08:03 AM

We're quite excited about the Sugar Mill. We were toying with Long Bay, the Lighthouse Villas and Sebastian's and Sugar Mill won out for its intimacy and great food reviews. We're planning to spend one day on a snorkel/sail trip and dividing our remaining mornings and afternoons among Cane Garden, Smuggler's Cove and Brewer's Bay. Unfortunately we'll only be there for 4 nights, so my husband and I won't be able to do our usual relaxed pace, but I can't wait!

If the Bomba Shack isn't hopping while we're there, I'm sure other places will be. We won't be looking for anything wild, but would love something with local color for a drink or two after dinner. And since I walked down Bourbon Street for the first time when I was 11 and lived to be a reasonably well adjusted adult, I don't think that a place strewn with undergarments will cause too much lasting damage to our granddaughter's delicate sensibilities.
Feb 13th, 2005, 09:11 AM

At Bomba's you never know what to expect. Once my husband and I were the only two there except for Bomba
and he made us a couple of Bomba punches. Very good !!! It was a tough walk back to Sebastians for Dinner. I have been to Bomba's maybe five times and the only wild time was the full moon party. Great bands and alot of fun, but I did not drink the tea.
We stayed at Long Bay. You will love the British Virgin Islands.
Feb 13th, 2005, 10:14 AM

ejcrowe: I feel you made a wise decision based on the other options you listed. I am sure the others have their fans, but Sebastian's is "worn out". Long Bay has both positive and negative reviews. Make sure you get over to Jost Van Dyke if you have never been. The Soggy Dollar and Foxy's are two of the Caribbean's best "beach bars". White Bay Beach (where SDB is located) is an awesome stretch of sand, as well. Also....the grilled lobster at SMI is incredible! Prepared Caribbean style and is quite large!
Feb 13th, 2005, 12:58 PM

Mels & Caribbeansoul: Thanks for the story and the suggestions. Keep 'em coming if you think of others! It's the way I keep the cold winter at bay. And even though I've never been to Tortola before I dreamed about it last night. Heavenly!

Sugar Mill would have easily won if it were just my husband and I, but with 13 year old in tow I wanted to consider the ameneties that a full resort might offer, and also the space that the condo style Lighthouse would offer. We checked out a few villas, too, but figured that with only 4 nights we'd like the hotel/inn atmosphere. Actually, if it were just my husband and I, we probably would've stayed on Virgin Gorda, but we'll just save that for another trip.
Feb 13th, 2005, 02:29 PM

I wouldn't call Sebastians "worn out." They've got some new suites that are very nice! And they always have a nice little Fungi band of some sort playing in the evenings on the weekends.

You should try Palm's Delight. It's on the same road heading toward the hill to Cane Garden Bay. It's right on the sea and the food is fabulous. Also try Cocoplums which is left out of SM and after you pass Bomba's make another left. It's on the hill you would take to go to west end. It's on the right. Very good food. And Sebastians is very good too. We had some great meals there. Their breakfasts are great...banana pancakes! MMMM

I love Carrot Bay. I think the restaurants are much better than CGB.

Have Fun, Love BVI especially Tortola!

Peace, Greenie
Feb 17th, 2005, 09:57 AM

Greenie's got it goin on.

Carrot Bay has some of the best food on the island. Palm's Delight is outstanding but don't miss the North Shore Shell Museum. These are both the real deal for local flavor & flavors. Also check out Coco Plum in Little Apple Bay for great food, etc.

Finally, in addition to the bras & panties, Bomba features polaroids of young ladies performing dastardly deeds and endless off-color scribblings on the "walls". No place for a teenager!