Tortola, San Juan or USVI

Old May 17th, 2002, 06:27 AM
Chris

Tortola, San Juan or USVI

My wife and I (late 20s) will have two full days after our business trip to San Juan. We are thinking about either a quick trip to Tortola or to St. John. We need a place where we can relax and lie on a beach without too much activity. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old May 17th, 2002, 06:32 AM
rqf

Why not go someplace in Puerto Rico. The Hyatt Dorado (25 miles west of San Juan) meets your requirements.

Old May 17th, 2002, 09:06 AM
Mike

ttt

Old May 17th, 2002, 10:57 PM
Jasmine

St. John! It's just amazing! Go to all the different bays, they are wonderful! If you have time, take a day trip out to the Baths on Virgin Gorda.

Old May 19th, 2002, 07:46 AM
amy

Haven't been there, but just saw a nice piece on Culebra, just off PR, on tv. Sounds like it could be exactly what you're looking for.

Old May 19th, 2002, 09:17 AM
barbara

My husband and I did Tortola last year Feb. '01. We flew thru Puerto Rico only. I can tell you that Tortola is very undeveloped. You will not find a luxurious resort to lay around for two days. There are resorts but they are not luxurious. We rented a private home and were glad that we did by the looks of most of the hotels. Frenchmans Cay was the only resort on Tortola that I would stay at. Tortola does have FABULOUS yachting and boating. I now understand why it is the yachting/sailing capital of the world. If you might enjoy two days of sailing/boating around gorgeous waters, hopping from island to island, look into a short boating trip. The islands are so close they can be reached quickly by boat. If you would rather do a land based trip, try Virgin Gorda or Peter Island. They have more luxurious resorts than Tortola. Of course, I am sure Puerto Rico has some good places to stay as well. P.S. Bring bug spray if you are going in the summer months. We understand Tortola gets buggy in the summer, although there was not a gnat to be found in Feb.

Old May 19th, 2002, 10:47 PM
nancy

I agree about St. John, equisite beaches
plenty to do. Yes, it's amazing. We
will be back next year. Stunning.

Old May 18th, 2004, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have done much research, and would do numero uno or wind chimes near san juan for two days.
Old May 24th, 2004, 01:05 PM
jwj

If you want to relax, St. John is a great place. I would not take a trip to The Baths. It is too crowded and not worth giving up one of your 2 days to see. I would look for something in San Juan so you wouldn't have the hassle of travel. Surely there must be a nice, quiet place. Have never stayed there, only visited from cruise ships. Keep looking or getting advice here. Have fun.
Old May 25th, 2004, 06:13 AM

To get to St. John you would need to fly into St. Thomas and then take a ferry over. It could take a few hours total traveling time so I am not sure if that is a concern for you. The ferries operate regularly. Flights do run right into Tortola but I agree it is not a luxury type place, its very quiet.
I would explore other places in PR and find a resort that is quiet but has lots of luxury especially if its only for 2 days
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 12:30 PM

If it isn't too late you may want to check out the brand new Wyndham Resort in Martineau Bay on the PR island of Vieques. Its just a few miles off the eastern PR coast and looks very beautiful from what I've seen in magazines and on the net. Plus as a bonus you could see the bioluminescent bays at night if you wanted to.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 02:32 PM

Hmmm. Gues the trip is most likely over since the op was more than 2 years ago...
Old Jun 30th, 2004, 03:45 PM

Tortola - recommend Long Bay Resort - not too large but the rooms have wonderful views of neighboring islands. Rent a car - again, the views from the many hills of Tortola are amazing.