Tortola Questions - 1st Visit

Old May 23rd, 2007, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tortola Questions - 1st Visit

First trip to Tortola. Renting place on Little Apple Bay. Does anyone know of a fitness center/gym on Tortola where one can pay a daily guest fee or whatever? Also, any recommendations on "local" restaurants welcome. Finally, anyone have experince with Jerry's Car Rental? Many thanks.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:07 AM

Try Sebastians for breakfast. Coco Plums and Palms Delight (famous for ginger chicken) are close by. The Sugar Mill is right near you for a very good upscale meal. Banakeet has very good food and a great view. Its a little drive but driving on Tortola can get scary (very steep and sharp turns). Go to Cane Garden Bay for beach bar food and see Quito and his band. Smugglers Cove is a beautiful beach and vendors are there serving drinks and barbeque food.

The folks on the following board can answer all your questions:

http://www.traveltalkonline.com/foru...Cat=&Board=bvi
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:17 AM

Ditto on the comments by lovethecape.

Check the moom phase before you go. If it happens to be full moon do go to the Boomba Shack for their full moon party, as they serve mushroom tea. Quito is a must see and at this time of the year they are a bit slow which is fine for me and my wife. We watched the sun set at CGB while downing a few Caribs.

The driving there is tricky but as long as you exercise caution it is not back at all. We drove everywhere. Smuggler's is one of our favorite beaches and so was Josiah's. Very quiet (we pretty much had the beach to ourselves the entire day).

If you had time, take the ferry to Virgin Gorda or Jost Van Dyke (or both). Virgin Gorda has the Baths and at the ferry terminal at Road Town you can buy r/t tickets plus a bus ride to the Baths. It is amazing. For JVD the draw is to go to the Soggy Dollar at the Sand Castle Inn and sip a few Painkillers (the drink originated there).

We didn't find the food there too interesting but Myetts at CGB does serve up some pretty good grub. There are good grocery stores in Road Town so if your rental includes a kitchen you might want to cook a few times.

I hope this helps.

I hope this helps.
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:39 PM

Ditto all the great recommendations, and let me add that Long Bay has a good breakfast and lunch and the beach way down towards
Smugglers is always deserted and beautiful!

Also, go to Brewers Bay to snorkel. Take the road through Cane Garden Bay. It's great snorkeling and there's a great little beach bar there that has good cheeseburgers and pina coladas. The hill on the way into Brewers is quite an adventure. Just watch out for rocks and cows as you round the turns.

Have fun. We loved Tortola!

Peace, Greenie
Old May 25th, 2007, 10:03 PM

Ditto to taking the ferry to Virgin Gorda. If you want a romantic evening, have dinner at Brandywine. The food and atmosphere are fantastic! Sugar Mill and Banakeet are also good. We rented our jeep through Avis, in Road Town. But I met people who rented through Jerry's and they seemed satisfied. As far as fitness centers, I brought my running shoes and just ran those massive hills!
Old May 26th, 2007, 06:10 AM

I'll second the recs for Palms Delight for good local food and Sugar Mill for a special night out. Bananakeet's food was pretty good but the view there at sunset is GREAT! If you go there, go early to catch the sunset.

We didn't have a good experience at CocoPlums but we did think it was cute and kitschy and would probably try it again.

For inexpensive and large breakfasts, try the North Shore Shell Museum. About $7 per person for a huge spread of food. It's on the main road that runs along the north shore, located between the Sugar Mill and Palms Delight.

As for fitness centers, just walk, swim and run your way through the island and you'll get quite the workout!