Reload this Page >

Tortola or Virgin Gorda for vacation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 10:07 AM
Paula

I pretty much had my mind made up on Tortola for vacation, but now I am reading numerous postings regarding Virgin Gorda. My husband and I enjoy snorkeling and just plain relaxing on the beach. We don't mind driving and/or hiking to beaches. That said, which is a better place to stay on? We most likely plan on renting a villa.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 11:03 AM
Louis

I think you might find snorkeling somewhat better on Virgin Gorda. As another alternative, look at Cooper Island. http://www.cooper-island.com <BR>This is where we would pick for relaxing and snorkeling at an excellent price. You can either fix your own meals or eat in the resaurant where the food is good. Except for a few crackers and drinks, who wants to fix meals? They will deliver a excelent continental breakfast to your cottage at the hour you set in the morning. There are a lot of boats that come and go which makes for variety and interest. The snorkeling is interesting off the end of the island and there are dive boats that leave from there to various destinations.

Old Aug 18th, 2000, 04:10 PM
Karen

Have to agree with Louis. One site that describes several of the resorts is Scubamom.net. Tortola's beaches can be rocky, rough and hard to snorkle with a strong undertow! But you will have more "excitement" and activity available on Tortola.

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 09:33 AM
Penny

Paula;We love the beach,we have been to quite a few caribbean islands and I must tell you the beaches on Tortola did disappoint us,we did enjoy Virgin Gorda,the beaches are in my opinion much better. <BR>Scubamom does have some villas that look interesting on her web site,its a great site to explore. I learned about it from this forum.

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 09:37 AM
Penny

Karen and Louis: I must tell you both your posts are excellent,having been to some of the places you have visited -I agree with your advice.Thanks!!!!!!

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 01:15 PM
RichF

Although I've never been to the BVI, I have read were Tortola's best are very, very good. <BR> <BR>Either Frommers or Fodors Caribbean Guide ranks "Cane Garden Bay" in their top ten beaches - ahead of Meagans Bay. <BR>Also I have heard great snorkeling reviews on Smugglers Cove and Brewer's Bay. <BR> <BR>Beside the Baths (Spring Bay), what is the nicest beach on VG?

Old Aug 19th, 2000, 06:12 PM
Karen

Well, I avoid the Baths especially since they added the walkways and ladders and the t-shirt vendors invaded and head right next door to Devil's Bay! Same scenery, great snorkling and no crowds!!! (But don't tell!) Brewer's and Smuggler's are nice but to get to Smuggler's one has to endure the worse kidney jarring ride - it was definately not enjoyable! But the beach is small and, when we were there, crowded! Okay snorkling! Brewer's was okay too ... once you got there! Not into Megan's on STT either so can't really fairly compare them! People choose different beaches for different reasons ... I want calm, lovely and lonely; others enjoy the beach bars, etc.

Old Aug 20th, 2000, 04:10 AM
Carol

We have been to the BVI several times now and I would highly recommend Virgin Gorda over Tortolla, based on your message. There are several options on Virgin Gorda, but our favorite pick is Biras Creek (check out their web site). You can only reaach it by boat (out on the neck by the Bitter End Yacht Club). It is small and intimate and the food is outstanding. Everything is right there....snorkeling, scuba, windsurfing, sailing, tennis and they give you bikes to get back and forth to the beach. It really is paridise. And the island is a lot less built up than Tortolla. <BR> <BR>If you want any other recommendations....feel free to e-mail me. We have taken several day trips around too...if you are interested in any of that.