Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Tortola and Anegada (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/tortola-and-anegada-710773/)

horncusker Jun 5th, 2007 10:46 AM

Tortola and Anegada

Hey Everyone Newbie to Fodor, however, not a newbie to the Carib.

My wife and I have travelled to Jamaica a total of 13 times and have been to St. Johns, St. Thomas, St. Croix, Puerto Rico, Bahamas and Turks and Caicos to name a few others collectively, HOWEVER, we have never been to the BVI and are planning on a late September trip. We will be flying into Tortola late one evening and spending the night and then flying to Anegada the following day for a new experience and we are wondering if any of you have any tips on where to stay (in Tortola close to the Airport - I guess? - and Anegada) and any tips on what to do? We are regular posters on Negril.com and have learned that this is where you get the best advice - the boards, from boardies...

SO, any help, info, ideas? All would be appreciated.

Thanks

Aaron

seasweetie Jun 5th, 2007 11:04 AM

If you will be flying to Anegada (I assume a private charter?), the closest place to stay is the Beef Island Guest House. You can walk there from the airport. The rooms are spacious and the place is very homey, but there's no AC (if that's important to you). And it's reasonable for just a place to crash before going back to the airport. If you have a bit more time (as in you'll be getting in in time for dinner), stay on Marina Cay. It's also just by the airport (albeit a little boat ride away) and so lovely and relaxing for a first night. For Anegada, you can rent a small self-catering cottage (Anegada Beach Cottages and Cow Wreck Beach Cottages are both lovely). I have always stayed at Neptune's Treasure - very quaint and wonderful folks. You need to be aware that not everything is open in September (in fact, Neptune's might be closed then? I can't recall what they told me? I was just there a couple of weeks ago..) Another option on Anegada is the Anegada Reef Hotel - it's livlier than Neptunes, but I've never stayed there. What to do on Anegada? Relax on the beach. Snorkel. Rent a car and check out the various beaches, the Settlement and the interior. Visit the Iguana Project. Try to spot the flamingoes. Play some pool at Cow Wreck or ARH. Have an afternoon drink with Vernon at Neptunes. Simple pleasures.

horncusker Jun 5th, 2007 11:14 AM

Thanks seasweetie...

My wife just sent me a link to the Beef Island Guest House as I was reading your comment...I think that might be the place...

So Anegada shuts down partially?

We are kinda looking forward to being semi-abandonded. Do they have bike or scooter rentals? Or just cars? All of those places you mentioned we have read about and look forward to visiting, however, we are always looking for the stuff off of the beaten path, the local hangs etc. BUT after reading about Anegada, it is looking like the whole island is like that which is exactly what we are looking for!!!

We are taking notes and thanks for your info!

A_Traveller Jun 5th, 2007 11:44 AM

I have to laugh, there's not much on Anegada that "on the beaten path" - the island is nowhere near the path.

Tuxedocat Jun 5th, 2007 11:45 AM

Welcome! We go to St. John often and have been to the BVI's a few times but never to Anegada. It's one of my fondest wishes to go there soon. There are others on this board who know Anegada well and should be able to give you guidance. I'll be looking forward to their answers and your trip report. Good luck and good traveling.

horncusker Jun 5th, 2007 12:00 PM

I know ATraveler!

That is what we have learned...looking forward to being on a deolated place, with no PATHS!!!

tamaraj Jun 5th, 2007 12:15 PM

Looking forward to the trip to Tortola and Anegada!! the more i read the more excited i get! Cows Wreck Beach looks like fun too Aaron!! we may have to stay at their cottages. has anyone on here stayed there? Also, will we be able to buy any touristy stuff at all on the island at the end of September or will everything be shut down for the season?
thanks for your help!!
tamara (Horncusker-Aarons wifey)

seasweetie Jun 5th, 2007 01:59 PM

There's pretty much two shops on the island for 'touristy' stuff - the Purple Turtle and the ARH gift shop. Neptunes was closed from Sept 1 to Oct 15 last year, but ARH was open during off-season. While I have not stayed at Cow Wreck, I've been in the cottages - the larger has two bedrooms - one was shut off when only one couple was staying there. The smaller was more pleasant - great breezes, nice bedroom, studio living/kitchen area, the restaurant was open for dinners and lunches, you need to provide food for your own breakfast. I would definitely stay there myself. It's very quiet at night, nothing but the sound of the sea. They do have scooter rentals just down from the ferry dock. I usually rent a car, due to the condition of the roads (paths). I wouldn't really recommend bicycling there. And A_Traveller is right, the whole island is off the beaten path. You can't go anywhere where the locals don't hang out. Remember, there are only about 200 locals on the island. I think ARH is the most 'touristy' spot, with a lot of the visiting yachties stopping there.

blamona Jun 5th, 2007 04:07 PM

My funny story:

In Soper's Hole Tortola, all the shops had the coolest OPEN and CLOSED signs-I had to buy one for my shop. They sent me into town, no one had them. Or they had them "in use" and not for sale. They were all tropical, with fish, and fun.

Every day trip to another island, I'd look. Drove my hubby crazy. Virgin Gorda, again had them in the shops, not for sale.

So day trip to Anegada-we stop at a dive shop for bottled water-it's that kind of island. (Were a dive shop sells food and drinks!) and what do I find in a bin? My signs for sale!!!!

So of course I bought 2! ;-)

burnsie Jun 5th, 2007 05:14 PM

Congratulations on your choice of vacation. We absolutely fell in love with Anegada. I posted a trip report from our first visit back in Feb-05. You could look it up. We stayed at the Anegada Beach Cottages on Pomato Point. We've loved going back there. It is extremely quiet and restful. I have to laugh in agreement about the "Off the beaten path" remarks. Only one strip of road is paved. The rest requires a 4X4. A bike or scooter would not be wise. But it does make for fun exploring (just make sure to have plenty of water in case you get stuck.) We never did spot any flamingos. But we saw plenty of wandering cows and goats. The diving and snorkeling is great. We bought some provisions on Tortola and took them in a cooler. But the small market in the settlement should not be missed. We had great fun hanging out there and shooting the breeze with the locals. Serious "limin." Also, Dotsy is a great cook and her bakery is in The Settlement. I think one of my favorite memories is having to wait for the lady to come open up the airport so that our plane could take off and then watching her close it up after we were gone. BTW, the bar at Cow Wreck makes a mean burger.

horncusker Jun 6th, 2007 05:52 AM

Awesome stuff guys...thanks for the info...we are really getting into the island groove again (we were in JA less than a month ago), but this is a new experience that we are totally diggin on!

tamaraj Jun 6th, 2007 05:58 AM

Yep, thanks a bunch! i am getting ridiculously excited for it to be 3 months away! Lobster will be out of season though won't it?
: (
Can anyone tell us what the dates are for "out of season"...we may have to try to plan accordingly.
thanks again!
tamara

StanKase Jun 6th, 2007 03:49 PM

I hate to bust your baloon but if snorkeling is one of the primary reasons for visiting Anegada you are 5 years too late. Unfortunately about 75% of the coral is dead or dying based on7 hours spent there looking for colorful coral, variety of fish, sea anenomes, sponges, sea fans etc. But, if you are seeking long beautiful deserted beaches this is one of the best places you could find for that.

tamaraj Jun 7th, 2007 06:21 AM

that is exactly what we are looking for. thanks

tamaraj Jun 8th, 2007 09:31 AM

thank you for the post. it is a beautiful villa, but a bit more than we are able to pay. maybe next year!!

Hurkit Jun 12th, 2007 11:26 AM

My wife and a few friends of mine are heading to Anegada on July 2nd for 3 days then on to Peter Island for 5. I can't wait. We are staying at the Anegada Reef Hotel. I am really looking forward to visiting Cow Wreck Beach.

horncusker Jun 13th, 2007 08:39 AM

Me too Hurkit...

Let me know how the Cow Wreck is!

Enjoy your trip