Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Tortola: Advice? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/tortola-advice-805888/)

Skiota Sep 13th, 2009 10:16 AM

Tortola: Advice?

I've decided I want to go to the Island of Tortola, BVI.

What I need to know are:

What are some interesting things to do in Tortola?

Where are good places to rent snorkel gear?

Good spots to snorkel and how to get there?

What time of year is a good time to go (based on price, weather, off season etc)?

What is a good place to stay (hotel) (under $100 a night)?

What are some good places to eat?

How do I get to Tortola? (is there an airport?)

What to avoid?

Any dangers I should be aware of?

Please provide as much detail as you can, I've never been to the BVI before, and I'm not familiar with Tortola. I'm mostly interested in good places to swim, snorkel, lay on a beach with not a lot of people, find good food to eat, hiking, or otherwise just relax. Please note that I'm not an experienced hiker or snorkeler, I've only done them once or twice. I'm just looking for a nice getaway. =) Thank you in advance for any input you provide. If you have any questions or need more information, please let me know.

ishkribbl Sep 13th, 2009 03:35 PM

When I think I am interested in a location, I read everything I can find (visit your local library or bookstore for travel guides such as Fodors and others) about the place to decide if it is what I am looking for then I go on line and do searches for articles and reviews. Many of your questions can be answered easily and completely in the travel books (where to stay, where to eat, snorkel sites, how to get there, safety, etc.) Then I search the airline websites and other sites like Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, etc. for the best flight info I can find. After I have done all of that, then I make my list of questions I can't find the answer to and ask those who might know. I think at this point your query is so very broad that not many will tackle it. If you do some research and narrow down what you need to know you will find more help. Also try www.traveltalkonline.com for more BVI help. Good luck with your search!

Skiota Sep 13th, 2009 07:20 PM

I'm going to do that as well. I'm not asking people to answer every question. But if they have hand on experience on a company or hotel they used, and would like to share, post a link and I'll take a look. That kind of thing. If I wanted to read a book to compile my trip and have a cut and paste vacation, then I wouldn't need to post in a forum haha =)

Thank you for your advice =)

But again, what I really need is personal experience that can't be found in a book. =)

doug_stallings Sep 14th, 2009 04:59 AM

You don't say when you plan to travel. There are very very few places in Tortola for under $100 a night, at least places that would be recommendable. You might try the Fort Burt Hotel (right in Road Town), but it's not anywhere close to a good beach. The Ole Works Inn is near Cane Garden Bay (kind of isolated, so you'd probably need a car) but it's not on the beach. I'm not sure if either hotel has rooms for under $100 a night, though they are among the cheapest places on the island.

ICIS Villas (not recommended in our guide, but a place where I know someone who has stayed and liked it) has one studio for $99 per night. I don't know if this particular room has a kitchen (all others do), but it might be a possibility. It's in Brewer's Bay, and it's very isolated, so a car is a necessity. It's a pretty basic place down a very steep road.

Jimmie Sep 14th, 2009 07:08 AM

It's always a good idea to search the forum for information. There's plenty of info on Tortola in the many posts that your search will generate.

greenie Sep 14th, 2009 02:27 PM

Brewers Bay and Smugglers Cove for snorkeling.
Palms Delight for awesome food.
Coco Plum, Sebastians too
Long Bay for great breakfast buffet..also Sebastians has a really breakfast, as well.
Jolly Roger @ Sopers for party and drinks
Just ride around for a couple of days to get your bearings....you'llhave a blast.

Peace, Greenie

InTheShade Sep 20th, 2009 04:14 PM

Skiota,

Let me try to hook you up a bit.

Things to do in Tortola:

-sail
-scuba
-lie in the sun with a tropical beach and an attractive friend

Rent your stuff at Island Surf and Sail, they will even bring you gear if your on a beach or boat.

As for good snorkel spots check out this guide I found

http://www.vacationtortola.com/Best-...o-Snorkel.html

This site will also answer all the rest of your questions.

GalleySlaveKelly Oct 25th, 2009 07:30 AM

Skiota,

Some thing to avoid: GETTING SERIOUSLY ILL OR INJURED!! Besides the obvious reasons to avoid that, Roadtown hospital leaves a lot to be desired. Get medevac insurance if you don't have it.

Getting there: You can fly into Beef Island via San Juan or you can fly into St. Thomas (in the US Virgin Islands) and take the Ferry over.

Resaurant: We enjoyed Carpaccio's in downtown Roadtown.