Top dining recommendations for Aruba and Curacao please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2006, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a lot of time to do research (time crunch, last minute trip, etc.) so I am hoping that "those in the know" on this board would help me out with 3 top restaurants in Aruba and same for Curacao.

Need places where men do not have to wear a sports coat/ jacket (just a nice shirt and pants). We like all types of food, but not a stuffy atmosphere. Eclectic, fun and bistro-type places would appeal. All prices. Thanks!
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 10:11 AM

Loved Astrolab and Jaipur, both in the Kura Hulanda complex in Curacao. Great atmosphere (sit outside on the patio at Astrolab) and good food. Wasn't that impressed with Bistro Le Clochard (we are fish people and I think meat dishes are probably the specialty). In Aruba we loved Simply Fish at the Marriott (tables right on the sand) and the restaurant at the golf course for the atmosphere and views as well as the food.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 11:57 AM

In Aruba, a friendly place to eat with a view of the sea is Brisas del Mar. Make your reservations early enough so that you are able to enjoy the sunset out on the terrace.
In Curacao, there is a place called Landhuis Daniel. It's moderately priced and they use lots of organic vegetables and fruits. They grow their own herbs right on the plantation. Their e-mail is [email protected].
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 03:12 PM

Avoid Portofino at the Marriott in Curacao.Try La Peragola under the Arches-good Italian with fair prices. I thought Astrolab was good but over-rated and $140+/couple. Avoid Ft. Nassau. Try Avalon for informal good dinner but it is at EAST END of island near Breezes. Good food last year at fair prices. Best to go on Thursfay/Fri. nights. Try Blues at Avila.
For interesting Swiss/French food try LaRousse, a little Bistro where Chef/owner is one of the attractions. But a 3 course meal with wine will be $130-$150USD and is as good as Atrolab if not better. It is a little snooty but the food is very good. None of the above require jackets. A collared shirt and slacks for men and slacks and a blouse for women would be just fine. All but Blues and La Peragola are Air conditioned. Hope this helps.
Old Nov 1st, 2006, 07:00 PM

If you are on Aruba on a Sunday you HAVE to try the brunch at Le Dome.

It's not expensive at $39pp - the food is really good and the champagne is free flowing.

Get there at 11am and leave at 3pm, we didn't but apparently most of our fellow diners did

http://ledome-aruba.com/brunch.php
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 06:26 AM

jarniern: By the way all the restaurants I suggested on Curacao are under $100 for 2 for a 3 course dinner with the exception of Astrolab and LaRousse.Also, Rut's Hut for lunch was not very good, in my opinion.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of the suggestions. Somewhere Landhuis Daniel was mentioned...anyone know about this place?
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 05:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
El Gaucho in Aruba was our favorite. It has been about 3 years, but I still see it recommended quite frequently. It is in the town.
We also liked Chalet Suisse. Simply Fish at the Marriott had a great setting. I thought the meal was so-so, but I am not a big fish lover. So, my opinion on that is biased.
Aruba has many more great dining options. Enjoy!
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 08:51 AM

It's in Westpunt. I tried to find a website and couldn't, but I did find you a small page from Frommers. http://www.frommers.com/destinations...ao/D39969.html

Our favorite place was Bistro Le Clochard. A 19th century jail that has been converted into a restaurant, very romantic, built by the waterside. We went early and sat outside to have a drink and looked at the floating bridge and the harbor. Best french onion soup I've ever had. If you have room for dessert and you are a Toblerone fan, this is your place!
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 01:54 PM

Just returned from Aruba a week ago and our favorite restaurant by far was Madame Janettes. You need reservations, but it is well worth it. They are closed on Tuesday. Ask to sit outside, it is much cooler. We loved it so much we went back a second time before we left. We also enjoyed eating later in the evening the second time (9pm).
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 03:39 AM

I second El Gaucho in Aruba! The cuts of meat are fabulous and the stolling musicians nice to listen to!

RL
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 12:26 AM

I also like Jaipur at the Kura Hulanda. Haven't been to Landhuis Daniel, but if it's at Westpunt go for lunch, not dinner; if you're not staying at Westpunt, I wouldn't like to drive it in the evening.
The best thing about Bistro Clochard is the location; you have a fantastic view of the ships coming into the Curacao harbour. Food is ok, but a bit heavy for my taste and quite expensive.
The Indonesian buffet at TuTuTango is nice (very casual). I think that is only on Wednesdays.
All restaurants are really casual; Astrolab is the most expensive restaurant on the island but even there you're fine without a jacket/tie.