Notices

Tobago v. The Big Island

Jan 24th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Tobago v. The Big Island

My best friend and I are looking to go on a trip some time in March. I have Hilton Honors points and have narrowed it down to Hilton Waikoloa Village and Hilton Tobago. I know that both islands are really different, but I was hoping that someone could help point me in one direction since I can't decide which would be a better escape. I have already been to the Big Island, but I wouldn't mind going back if it would be a better choice than Tobago. Thanks so much!
Jan 24th, 2007, 03:18 PM

We spent 4 days on Trinidad & then a week on Tobago and I much preferred Tobago. I found it easier to navigate, nicer beaches and more comfortable for women traveling alone. There's still quite a bit to see there as we did some waterfall hiking but it's not so cumbersome. IMHO
Jan 24th, 2007, 03:19 PM

OOPS!!! Just realized you were comparing it to the Hawaiian BIG ISLAND....sorry about that.
Jan 27th, 2007, 06:30 AM

I have stayed at the Tobago Hilton twice, most recently two years ago. It was a looong trip to get there from Boston, with 3 flight changes. I found the people to be very welcoming, but know that there is a lot of poverty as in many of the Caribbean islands. We traveled all along the coasts from the southern to the most northern point, but did not get to Englishman's Bay (one of the most scenic spots) because the roads were so bad. The Tobago Hilton has been getting a wide variety of ratings from tripadvisor members, but when I was there, we had a suite, and were able to walk out from our room to the beach. It is VERY low key, even though it is called a resort. My husband loved the golf. We explored during part of the day, and used the beach(some people think it is too rough-I thought it was fine- but they have a shuttle to the Caribbean side to another beach). It was actually two of our best vacations. There are some good restaurants- the Hilton's are okay, not great. It is a very relaxing vacation. If it didn't take so long to get there, we would definitely go again. We've been to Hawaii, although not the Big Island, and it's a long trip also. Went Fall 2005. The beaches are not as nice in Hawaii, in my opinion. Also you are still in the US so it's a no surprises vacation, esp. if you've been there before. I guess it comes down to your comfort level. Not many Americans visit Tobago because it's so hard to get there- it's mostly the British and Canadians and a few Germans that we met.What kind of vacation are you looking for? Tobago is definitely "an escape" . Pat

Search this Thread