Reload this Page >

Best part of the island for .........

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 08:02 AM
Barb

We're thinking about a trip to St. Lucia and are looking for advice on which part of the island is best for windsurfing, snorkelling and hiking. Looking at the Windjammer but have no idea if this is a part of the island worth "basing" oneself without having to drive alot for these activities. Any comments appreciate. Thanks!

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 09:16 AM
lili

don't know about the windsurfing, but snorkelling and jungle/hiking tours are best in the south of the island, around Souffriere ... so check out the places to stay there from luxury (jalousi,ladera) to budget (Hummingbird)

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 10:35 AM
Mary

Barb: If I remember correctly, the Jalousie Hilton is the only resort in that southern area of the island that offers water sports such as windsurfing. Even if you don't stay there, however, you can go and use the equipment for a fee I'm sure. <BR> <BR>The north part of the island definitely has more resorts / hotels that offer such activities. While the hiking and snorkeling may not be as abundant in the north, it does exist. Pigeon Island (in the north) is a nice place to check out and "hike" with lots of history and beautiful views. I've also heard the beach by Pigeon Island has some decent snorkeling.

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 10:40 AM
Mary

I forgot to add, if you're really ambitious and in good shape, you can climb Gros Piton in the south. You are taken by a tour guide and there is a fee, I think $25 per person. Bring two big bottles of water per person. I think it takes about three hours and it's quite the workout. Once at the top, you have a nice view of the south part of the island. You don't get a 360 degree view.

Old Oct 22nd, 2001, 03:17 PM
ohliz

We went to Club Med in St. Lucia, which is on the southern part of the island. It's very windy, windsurfing is the major thing there. <BR> <BR>I wouldn't recommedn Club Med though, we felt a bit grown up for it (and this was 13 years ago, I was only 22!) If I never hear that "Hands up baby hands up" song they make you sing after dinner again I'll die happy. <BR> <BR Liz

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 02:46 PM
miler

Barb, I am wondering the same thing. My wife and I love snorkeling and going to the beach along with a little hiking. We plan to spend sun rise to sun set outside... then look for a place for dinner. We were going to stay at a villa near Souffriere, but after finding out how much Jeep rentals and taxis cost, being a little uneasy about some "safety at night" post I've read and then finding a last-minute deal at the Windjammer, we decided to go for the resort. The week is only going to cost about $950 for a deluxe room at the Windjammer... money saved can buy us a few tours!

Old Oct 23rd, 2001, 05:07 PM
Barb

Miler, wow, between the two of us hopefully we'll get some more good info. It's been great so far. Thanks to all who have responded so far - we still haven't decided where to stay.