Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Tobago - Coco Reef or Crown Point Beach? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/tobago-coco-reef-or-crown-point-beach-40767/)

Dave Mar 23rd, 1999 06:59 PM

Tobago - Coco Reef or Crown Point Beach?

My wife and I are going to Tobago this Fall. Travel Agent is recommending Coco Reef. Sounds nice but it is a bit pricey. We are wondering if anyone has stayed at the Crown Point Beach Hotel or can recommend others. Looking for clean, modern, on (or close) to beach. We love snorkling.

Laura Apr 27th, 1999 10:17 AM

<BR>Dave- <BR>I was interested in your message because my husband and I are going to Tobago next month and debated the same two hotels you mentioned. The Coco Reef does sound like a sure bet in terms of comfort - but it is expensive and pehaps is a bit too resortish for us. On the other hand, it is difficult to get a grasp on exactly what the Crown Point Beach Hotel is like. We once stayed at a hotel on Dominica that sounded great on paper but ended up being more of a struggle than a vacation and we don't want to repeat the experience. We did talk to a travel agent who had been to the Crown Point and recommended it (the only person we could find who had been there). After much going back and forth between the two, we finally decided on the Crown Point. I hope we made a good choice. I'll let you know when we get back.

Dave May 6th, 1999 07:33 PM

Thank you - we would appreciate any comments or suggestions re: hotels or activities on the island.

Wanda Adams Jun 1st, 1999 04:30 PM

Dave, just returned from tobago. We rented the Brash Villa (9 good friends. It is beautiful and a very good value at $350 or so a day. We also had a van to get places. <BR> <BR>The island is great. WE traveled and scuba dived all over the place. Highly recommend it. Through our travels, I would make the following observations..... <BR> <BR>the hotels you mentioned are very nice, and centrally located. But pricey. If you are just doing a beach vacation, they would be nice as Coco is near Pigeon Point a cool beach area. YOU can also scuba dive or learn to dive from this spot (Although the service we used, picked you up at no charge and returned you to your hotel. The name is Scuba Adventure Safari - www.divetobago.com <BR> <BR>Also can take a full day booze cruise on a katamaran from P. Point. Great day at $70 us per person. Web Address is www.trinidad.net/kalina. <BR>e <BR>Another beach hotl is rex turtle beach hotel. Not sure of the price, but we "adopted" a couple of brits staying there and visited them at their hotel. Very nice pool and wonderful beach about 20 minutes from the airport. all inclusive place. <BR> <BR>If you are up for renting a car, I would consider Top of Tobago )email at ([email protected])Its a villa on top of a hill, great views of carribbean, nice breezes, with a main house (2 bedrooms at $160 night I think ) and also separate mini-villas at $60 us a day. They are gorgeously appointed. If you want a private not much contact with others or are willing to travel around the island, consider this place. <BR> <BR>Its also 5 minutes from the beach. But the beach is part of Anroes Vale Hotel. Not sure if they are on the net. Great beach (horseshoe shaped with a beautiful lobby, restaurant, poool, nice all the way around. It is set on and up the hillside from the sea. I would recommend this if you need to interact with people. I would also recommend a car as well. <BR> <BR>These are my thoughts--good luck. Wanda

Dave Jun 7th, 1999 05:11 AM

Thanks for your suggestions, Wanda. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your trip and appreciate your tips. We'll check out the hotels you mentioned. Dave