Reload this Page >

Tobago bound/Overnight in Trinidad

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 06:27 AM
Brian

I'm planning a trip to Tobago in March and, depending on the flights I choose, may need to overnight on Trinidad on the way there. From where I live, it is possible to get to Tobago in one day, but right now, those flights are very expensive. <BR> <BR>I am considering the Bel Air International hotel near the airport in Trinidad. It looks like a very basic hotel (which is fine with me) and costs about US$62 a night. Has anyone stayed here recently? How was it? Any other recommendations? I'd like something close to the airport and relatively inexpensive. <BR>

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 12:57 PM
Dean

Can someone answer this question? Please? We're going in two weeks and our AA flight get's into Trindad at 9:35pm. I couldn't find a bwee or liat flight that late so we have to overnight. Is the Bel Air International okay for one night? Another option is Le Sportif Inn, about 5 miles away.

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 02:23 PM
Brian

I never did get a response, but I booked a night at the Bel Air International Hotel anyway since it is so convenient. It's right next to the airport and they'll provide transportation if you provide them with your flight information. I booked through Utell (www.utell.com) since I had booked other reservations through them in the past. You can also book directly via e-mail ([email protected]).

Old Nov 13th, 2001, 02:44 PM
Dean

Thanks Brian. We're leaning towards staying at Bel Air. How bad could it be? They're selling rooms on travelocity too but I might try utell.

Old Nov 17th, 2001, 02:57 AM
robert b

where will you stay in tobago? there are many nice guest houses if you're looking for something not expensive , but clean and convenient to beach. avoid conrado hotel on the way to pigeon point. nice location, but filthy beach and the rap music at night is so loud it shakes the walls. manager just doesn't care about guests.just returned from tobago. had a great time. deal with locals and you won't get cheated. fun place to go is sunset view sea sports. the owner is terrific and will make your time there great fun. waterskiing, diving, bbq on beach, all super with john .on the way to pigeon point. i think his last name is applewhite. meet him, you'll be glad you did. have fun.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 08:52 PM
kathy

I am headed to Tobago this Saturday, December 1. Like you, I have to overnight in Trinidad. Just booked a room at Abercromby Inn ([email protected]). They offered to pick me up at the Airport at 12:12 AM!!! As a single person, that gesture won my vote.

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 06:06 PM
Vernon

Hi There:<BR><BR>Acy&agrave;tually I have written the Fodor&egrave;s chapter on T&T for the past few years. The Bel Air is very close to the airport ( about 2 minutes walk) but it is slightly south of shappy..which is why I didn;t include it. The Abercromby is in a very unsafe area of Port of Spain..so I would exercise caution at night. It is not what I would classify as even a nice budget hotel. It does, hoever, put you right near the heart of downtown. Actually...Trinidad can be a lot of fun and has some wonderful sights so I would regard the stopover as a benefit.

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 02:55 PM
Brian

Hi Vernon,<BR><BR>Can you elaborate on why the Bel Air is "slightly south of shappy"? I've heard it is pretty bare-bones and a bit overpriced for what you get, but I'll be there for only one night (actually less than 12 hours) before heading to Tobago early the next morning.

Old Dec 17th, 2001, 06:33 PM
Dean

Hi Brian,<BR><BR>We spent one night at the Bel Air two weeks ago and we glad we did. Our bags missed the connection in Miami but we were able to check in to our room, have dinner and return to the airport for the 12:20 am flight that carried our bags. It's not a place we would want to spend more than one night but, considering the hotel's construction and age, they try to keep it neat. All the staff were pleasant and helpful, and they were happy to shuttled us back and forth to the airport several times.<BR><BR>The bottom line is that Tobago was a great vacation. The diving and snorkling was spectacular, the rainforests and vistas were superb ,and the people were delightful!<BR><BR>Dean

Old Dec 18th, 2001, 04:25 PM
Brian

Thanks, Dean. It's nice to hear that the place is OK. I'm not expecting anything fancy for one night. You can't beat the location for an early flight the next morning.<BR><BR>I'm glad you enjoyed Tobago! I've been there twice before and am looking forward to going back.

Old Dec 20th, 2001, 09:58 AM
Charmaine

Hi!<BR><BR>I stayed at BelAir a few years ago and unless you really need convenience to the airport it's not a very nice place (just my op). Only problem is that there are few places close to the airport and if you don't have your own transportation its quite expensive to get to and from the airport (which is far from the city). (A handy tip - try to use the regular taxis that the locals use. They are MUCH MUCH cheaper than airport taxis. They're not terribly convenient FROM the airport (they're all shared taxis with fixed routes) but going back to the airport you can ask the driver to drop you off there for a few extra bucks, esp. if the taxi is empty).