Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Tobago-50th birthday (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/tobago-50th-birthday-512489/)

slcmama Mar 14th, 2005 05:28 PM

Tobago-50th birthday

I am looking for a warm spot for my 50th, the week before Christmas. I was concerned the Bahamas would be too cool then, and a friend said Tobago would be warm at that time. I am in Los Angeles and have a pool, so what I really want is an island experience, with warm ocean, great snorkeling (not all dead and white), good spicy food and plenty to drink. I would like to sleep with the sound of the waves, and ideally have a kitchen. I will be with my 9 year old son and hubby, and ideally would like some rainforest and history thrown in. Suggestions in Tobago? Thanks

marigold Mar 15th, 2005 03:21 PM

You might want to look into the Blue Waters Inn at Speyside. They have efficiency rooms with kitchenettes plus standalone cottages. This place is very basic and quiet. No phones, noTVs in rooms, so I'm not sure how your 9 year old would like it. The setting is beautiful and isolated. There's snorkeling off one side of the beach. The rooms literally are a few yards from the water; there's a constant sea breeze that's refreshing.

phototakeouter Apr 2nd, 2005 10:08 AM

Johnston's Apartments on the Crown Point Hotel compound is very nice. Spacious (only one bedroom but lots of sleeping space in the living room), clean, well appointed kitchen and reasonably priced. Just down the stairs (literally a 1 minute walk) is Store Bay. Excellent bathing, plus you can get tours out to Buccoo Reef.

youngman Apr 4th, 2005 09:22 AM

I have a villa there..overlooking the Bucco Reef. Near the Mt Irving Golf Course and Hotel. 4 bedrooms and a Pool. It comes with a Maid and a cook. here is a link. Jane is my sister

http://www.10kvacationrentals.com/po...illa/index.htm

StanKase Apr 7th, 2005 12:40 PM

Not impressed with the Blue Horizon back in 2002.

marigold Apr 7th, 2005 01:06 PM

Stan,
I don't think there's a "Blue Horizon" in Tobago. There's a Blue Haven, Blue Waters, Blue Mango, and Half Moon Blue.
Of those four, Blue Haven is the most "luxurious", but Blue Waters has the best setting for people who enjoy nature and the rain forest.

mulberry Apr 10th, 2005 07:43 AM

spent 11 days there this march. Beautiful safe island. Stayed at 3 bedroom villa at crown point. Not on water but y will pay $100. more a night for that. seeshellvillas. I have a discover tobago publication that I will mail you if you want the latest info on island. I will highlight snorkeling spots and eating spots we enjoyed.

globewriter Nov 5th, 2005 07:22 PM

There is, in fact, a Blue Horizon though it mainly caters to locals www.blue-horizonresort.com and i certainly wouldn't recommend it.

Blue Haven is the only sensible choice for location and style. Plus Rita Hayworth and Robert Mutchum stayed here in the 1950s so that will fit in nicely with the birthday theme.

vinceygirl Nov 6th, 2005 05:04 AM

Another island/islands to consider would be St. Vincent and the Grenadines. Lots of history. Many old churches, some forts, volcano, rain forest, Botanical Gardens. Many day trips also available such as Falls of Baliene and the movie set of Pirates of the Caribbean. Tobago Cays a national park is an uninhabited part of the island chain with an excellent reputation for snorkeling. I leave in 25 more days. I look forward to falling asleep listening to the waves coming ashore in Indian Bay and can't forget the tree frogs. This part of the Caribbean truly one of the best because it is not yet spoiled by tourism. I've been to a number of islands but SVG is absolute paradise on Earth to me. Maybe I should be selfish, stop recommending and keep it to myself. I get goosebumps thinking about it.

Sandy

poss Nov 6th, 2005 07:23 AM

Apologies for jumping in here. For those of you who've been to Tobago recently-- Do you know anything abt the Arnos Vale property? That was by far the most wonderful place (the grounds and water I mean) that we've stayed at in the Caribbean-- but that was 35 years ago. It went way down in following decades. I'd be very very interested to hear what's in that spot these days. Thanks verymuch.

ltilson Nov 6th, 2005 10:52 AM

Hello, Poss.....My husband and I stayed there in 1998 and it was one of the most beautiful places we've ever visited. The birds, the beach and the property were just stunning. That being said, the owners, who were from Italy, were rude and unfriendly. We stopped in town on our way to the hotel and bought a case of beer, which they confiscated before they would take us to our room and only let us have it back when we checked out. They had tea and cookies for the guests every afternoon and I was reprimanded for feeding 2 cookies to the birds and not paying for them. We thought they were free!! There were guards standing around and bars on some of the windows of their rooms which seemed really weird. Everyone who worked there seemed tense and unhappy. We checked out early and they seemed happy to see us go. We were the only Americans there at the time. We ended up renting a house on Grafton Beach which was a great spot with lots of waves and some snorkeling. It was managed by an Englishwoman who ran the small hotel and restaurant that was directly on the beach. I also liked Footprints, an Eco resort on Culloden Bay, but at that time, it was difficult to reach and far from any nightlife, restaurants etc. I also liked the Old Donkey Cart House....very cool rooms with great views and I think the largest ones had a kitchen...it was located just outside of town and across the road from the beach where the Swiss Family Robinson movie was filmed.

poss Nov 6th, 2005 02:25 PM

Itilson: Thanks for responding. I'd heard all abt that terrible Italian comapny that had taken over Arnos Vale. (and Italy is one of our very favorite countries to visit!) But about a year or so ago, I'd read somewhere that there's a completely new outfit that manages the property. I would love to get feedback, but haven't been successful so far. Thanks again for your detailed reply.

RobertoB Nov 6th, 2005 04:26 PM

Poss

Check with My Tobago ( http://www.mytobago.info/index.htm ). I'm sure that you'll get an update on Anos Vale.

This is a Tabago specific site with a wealth of infornmation.

StanKase Nov 8th, 2005 11:10 AM

I stand corrected. It was the Blue Haven. But I would consider other islands first,
The Grenadines but not Young island Resort or Petit St.Vincent. The Barbados, Turks-Parrot Cay,St.Barts are a few to consider. The weather is more certain and a few places on Curacao. The food there is excellent and resonably priced.

JoeTex Feb 9th, 2006 03:39 PM

we didn't stay at Arnos Vale, but we rented a small Villa from the man who manages AV now and we visited and found it to be very nice and very well kept. Rain forest (check), beaches (check), good spicy food (check), coral and sealife in great shape for snorkeling (check), sound of ocean (for a price check). we stayed at Eco Adventure Lodge last time (owned by Manager of Arnos Vale) and it's lovely but not on the Ocean....did have full kitchen and cable tv and stereo to keep your son occupied (and a pair very fun dogs), about a 10 minute walk to very good snorkeling. It is, though, a bit out of the way and you would probably rent a car.

Oh yeah...plenty to drink (double check)

I'd definitely recommend a rental car, almost anywhere you stay (though you could get by without if you stay directly in Crowne Point), because there is a ton of stuff to see.
Feel free to email if you got specific questions
enjoy