COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

To Mnag or Joan: Car rental - Eleuthera

Old Jul 5th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

To Mnag or Joan: Car rental - Eleuthera

Hi there. Have you rented a car during your stay there? If so, with whom? We're leaving on the 28th and I just now remembered that I didn't book the car. My first attempt with Eleuthera Car Rentals has been unsuccessful (all their vehicles are rented already). I emailed a couple of other places and have not heard back. I am hoping you'd have suggestions. Thanks.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 12:13 PM

Hi caribtraveler!
We have always booked our car via the rental house agent. We have used both Stanton Cooper and Arthur Nixon. Stanton's mobile number is listed as 1-242-359-7007.

Here is a webpage I found listing three car rental folks (get ready for some awesome music to get you in the mood!):
http://www.eleutheraliving.com/start.html

Either way, no worries! The first time we visited Eleuthera, I was in shock that there was no credit card, no paperwork, just a map to our villa, drawn by Mr. Nixon on the back of an old flier, along with the promise of payment upon our return to the airport at the end of our stay. Mr. Nixon showed up for his $$$ about 15 minutes before our flight left! Now that is laid back!!!
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 12:19 PM

By the way, what airport and where are you staying? Pineapple Fields?

I'm jealous!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 01:47 PM

Also just be aware that the cars are not,,,,well lets just say they are not new,,,,more like rent-a-wreck, but they work. Also gas on Eleuthera is really expensive.

A nice drive up the island would be to the dock over to Harbour Island or a drive down the island to Tarpun Bay to see the ocean hole and the Castle. There are a few restaurants and art galleries in the area.

If you are close to Palmetto Point, stop by Mate&Jennys some evening for dinner and ask Matlin (owner) to make you a conch pizza.

Have a great time.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Joan: Thanks! Yes, we're at Pineapple Fields and landing at Governor's Harbour. We're really looking forward to this trip as the last 2 months have been very stressful for us, personally and professionally. Can't wait to live in fantasy world and not know/care about what's going on around the world. Sleeping, eating, swimming sound like fantastic activies to us right now.

Travelbuff: Thanks for the info! We're planning to drive up and down the island. I have The Elusive Beaches of Eleuthera book and am looking forward to "discovering" all those beaches. We plan to check out Harbour Island and Spanish Wells. I didn't know about the art galleries. I'll make sure to find them as I always like to buy a piece of art when we travel.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 05:44 PM

We rented from eleuthera car rentals the first time and although the cars were a bit beat up they worked fine. Both had over 100,000 miles. The second time we rented from Sheila Cooper at 242 332-1726. The car was terrible. The side mirrors was broken, the seats all ripped up and there was a constant buzzing sound from the radio (could not turn it off since the knob was broken). They did offer to replace the car in a few days when one became available but we didn't bother at that point. Leaving you the phone info incase you get really desperate and can't find a car elsewhere. Enjoy your stay in Eleu.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 08:16 PM

Tarpun Bay has been known as an Artist Colony and had 2 fairly well known artists, Mal Flanders and Lord McMillian Hughes, both have passed away not long ago.

McMillan-Hughes built the Castle that you will see from the road (there is only 1 road that goes the length of the island (Queens Highway). There is a good local restaurant also in Tarpun Bay right on the water and the conch salad and fritters there were great.

IF you get to Harbour Island, I can point you in lots of directions of things to see and people to meet.

Remember that the water taxis go off duty at sunset, so you could be stuck on Spanish WElls or Harbour Island after dark.

Let me know if I can be of any more help.
Old Jul 6th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I just booked a car with Mr. Naaman Rolle.

Travelbuff: I did a bunch of research for Eleuthera but neglected Harbour Island. So yes, I'd love some ideas from you on what to see and where to go for lunch. Thanks!
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 06:00 AM

Caribtraveler, when you go to Harbour Island, take my advice: go early in the day!
We left our rental house around ten AM, meandered upwards through Eleuthera, enjoying the Glass Window - it's hard to tear yourself away - and arriving on HI about 1 PM. We walked to Ma Ruby's for one of her famous cheeseburgers, arriving just in time to be told that lunch was over! Slightly disappointed, we then trekked to the other end of the tiny Harbour Island, to an old favorite, Angela's Starfish, for some of the best cracked conch in the world (look for our Mid Peninsula business card on the wall!). So those are my two recommendations. Also, Pink Sands is a beautiful upscale hotel in a great setting, you could also go there for lunch, but I like the local type places myself.

There is good shopping (!) on Eleuthera at Island Made Gift Shop in Gregorytown. I loved this place, lots of great stuff.

Do you plan to go to the lighthouse at the south end of Eleuthera? Beautiful there! Our rental jalopy broke down there, a great story. We walked a couple of miles out to the main road, where we were picked up by a kind lady with her kids (who wouldn't sit in the back seat with us because they had not seen white folks before!). Had to beg/force her to accept a little $$. She drove us 20 miles to Rock Sound where we were met by the rental folks. They then drove us home. The next morning we awoke to a new rental car outside our house, with all our beach stuff neatly stowed int he trunk! Along the ride home, Mr. Cooper explained to us the difficulties of maintaining a rental fleet - it truly is worth the exorbitant seeming price you will pay - for they have no mechanics, no parts, and outrageous duty tax imposed. I will never again question the rental rates in the Out Islands!

Have a great trip, and don't be afraid to buy some conch salad from the ladies at the roadside stands. Bring exact change (fives and ones). Fresh, delicious, and prepared with sanitation standards that amazed this restaurant owner!
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info, Joan.

We'll make sure to head to HI early. Well, I was thinking Sip Sip for lunch.. but now I don't know, especially if Ma Ruby's is known for great cheeseburgers (I'm thinking of my son here). Have you even eaten at Sip Sip? If so, what did you think?

I think we'll check out Pink Sands but won't eat there. Reviews about their food haven't been that positive.

Lighthouse Beach is definitely on the list of beaches to find. Lol on the kids story .

We're not big on conch, although we only tried it once. So maybe we'll give it another taste.
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

I meant have you eveR eaten at Sip Sip?
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 11:58 AM

Ma Ruby's is where you want to go for lunch for the MOST AMAZING burgers you will ever have.

When you get on island you can get a tour of the island by Reggie Major he knows everything there is to know about the island.

There is a bit of shopping on island and a straw market right at the dock, and please buy something from Miss Sarah there, she is around 90 and wonderful local gem. All her income comes from the straw stand.

Also stop by Arthur's bakery and pick up some goodies the coconut bread is amazing.

Tell everyone hello from Gail in New York. I have taken my chorus to visit the island for 3 concert tours and have raised a bunch of money for the Methodist Church and the Day Nursery (Day Care Center).

Have a great time.
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 02:48 PM

JOAN... hi, I am trying to contact you regarding a villa you mentioned in a post. Can you email me please? [email protected]
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks travelbuff. Ma Ruby's it is then. So where do I find Reggie Major once I'm on Harbour Island? I will say hi to everyone for you and buy something from Miss Sarah.
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 09:25 PM

Reggie and his wife Jenna are the cab drivers on island and will be at the dock when you step off the boat, just ask for Reggie. Or you can ask the water taxi to radio him on your way over and ask for a tour of the island. Everyone on island (restaurants, hotels, cabs, water taxi and just about everyone else has cb radios), so you can call a water taxi or cab whenever you might need one.

Miss Sarah's straw market is the first one as you come off the dock on your left, and she will probably be there.

Also stop by and see Runaway Hill while you are there, Reg can take you up, next time you are there you might want to stay at Runaway.

There are several nice gifty shops on island and an excellent art gallery, and you might stop by the gift shop across from Temperance Square, all the profits there go to support the Day Care Center, and visitors are always welcome at Day Care if you would like to meet some local children, they love to have someone read them a story.

Also if you run into Iris Lewis, she is a good friend of mine as well and would be happy to be of any help you might need too.

Have a great trip and enjoy the Bahamas.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 04:30 AM

GettinBye, you have mail!
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Travelbuff: Thank you for all the great info.
Old Dec 27th, 2011, 03:58 PM

would not recommend Stanton Cooper at all,

crappy car that fell apart and even lousier attitude when it comes to service

gave me a leaking car and refused any replacement or discount

charged us 140 for a half hour taxi drive, this might be common practice though