Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   To Becca (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/to-becca-730071/)

owa Aug 19th, 2007 04:39 AM

To Becca

I'm glad you made it to Caneel. Please let me know how Caneel handled the wind and rain situation. We plan to go back in the summer again. I'm curious about where they served meals, etc. This week they were going to start work on the buffet area, and move the breakfast and lunch to The Equator.

I hope you made it to Sandcastle. We were on a boat trip in May with a couple that was staying at Sandcastle. They loved it. owa

owa Aug 24th, 2007 04:05 PM

ttt

Becca Aug 27th, 2007 05:43 AM

Hi owa! We just got back last night. There really wasn't much of a wind and rain situation at Caneel. The wind was pretty nonexistent, though there was some rain one afternoon. Because Caneel provides umbrellas in the room, we didn't let the rain deter us and just got out there - umbrellas in tow.

I was at Caneel for my honeymoon seven years ago when Hurricane Debbie was set to hit the island, and Caneel strongly suggested its guests evacuate (we did but went back a few days later as there was no damagage) but allowed guests who wanted to to stay at the resort to be moved to higher ground rooms with some candles, a picnic basket full of food and a couple of bottles of water.

As far as serving the meals, breakfast and lunch was at the Equator as the buffet area was all torn up. Dinner alternated between Turtle Bay Estate House and the Equator.

We did make it to Sandcastle after two nights at Caneel and stayed there for two nights before switching to Little Dix Bay on Virgin Gorda. Sandcastle was great, though I wouldn't have lasted more than two nights there (not quite enough creature comforts for me).

Little Dix Bay was WONDERFUL. I don't foresee us going back to Caneel until they start running as tight a ship as Little Dix Bay does (and Jumby Bay on Antigua - wonderful resort as well). Caneel just plain has issues with their service - issues that Little Dix Bay doesn't share, thank goodness. Also, the rooms at Little Dix Bay are wonderful - much more in the style of Jumby Bay's rooms than Caneel's.

poss Aug 27th, 2007 05:54 AM

Hi Becca,
I totally agree with you abt those differences between Caneel and LD-- yet we continue to go back to Caneel as well. The snorkeling at LD (even with the dinghy drops) can't hold a candle to what's off-beach at Caneel. Is snorkeling not a high priority for you? E.g. I'd be interested in trying Jumby Bay, but my sense is that snorkeling there is poor. Correct?
What's happening with the buffet area at Caneel? How will that be different?
Thanks!

Becca Aug 27th, 2007 06:48 AM

You are right - LDB's beaches aren't Caneel's. There were days at LDB when the water clarity couldn't touch the clarity of Scott Beach at Caneel, though on other days, it was similar. I am not a big snorkeler, though my husband is, and he saw turtles, stingrays and lots of colorful fish at LDB, so he was very pleased.

I think instead of returning to Caneel, we would probably do what we did on the St. John trip before this one and that's rent a villa and a jeep and go to a different beach every day. St. John is absolutely one of our favorite islands.

You are correct - the snorkeling at Jumby is poor - so if snorkeling is your main thing, Jumby may not be for you. But Jumby absolutely had its act together when we were there in 2004. The room and grounds were beautiful, excellent service, fabulous food. I'd love to go back there someday, but the rates are really steep.

I don't know what Caneel is planning as far as the buffet area, but it was completely torn up. I was under the impression they had just started construction on it, so I couldn't get a clear picture in my head of what was happening.

owa Aug 27th, 2007 02:26 PM

Becca, Thanks for replying. I don't think we will go back to Caneel next year. We are branching out to try new destinations. Curacao in October and Belize in January. We are going back to Bonaire when we go to Curacao, because we really liked the island. We also would like to go back to the Tabago cays.

What island is next for you? Owa

Becca Aug 28th, 2007 05:11 AM

For once, we don't have our next Caribbean trip planned! We are planning on going to Europe next May (my husband has never been, and I've only been once), so that is our focus at the moment. We decided that instead of doing over two weeks in Europe, though, that we would only do about 10 days and then take a Caribbean trip a little later in the summer. I would like to see Grenada or Barbados and Mustique, so those could be next on the list. And then we are always talking about how much we miss St. Barts (we were there in May of 2005 and 2006), so I could see us making a return trip there soon as well.