Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Tipping in the Virgin Islands--What's customary ?

Feb 9th, 2002, 05:23 PM
Juanita

How much, on average, should we tip on St. John/St.Thomas ? Bellman for bringing in our luggage? At restaurants ? etc. What's customary ? And I know one can tip with $100.00 bills if one wants to but....
Any advise will be appreciated.

Feb 11th, 2002, 05:46 AM
ellen

Juanita,
Tipping in St.Thomas is the same as on the mainland-$5per bag for bellman and 15-20%in restaurants. There is no tax there so make sure none is added! also food costs are much higher in the islands, so you may end up paying a lot for mediocre food. I can suggest some great places if you'd like.

Feb 11th, 2002, 09:16 PM
Juanita

Yes, I'd love to see your suggestions re: restaurants. We'll be spending a lot of time on St. John and a day or two on St. Thomas.
Thanks !

Feb 12th, 2002, 05:11 AM
Amy

$5.00 per bag? Wow! I can see a
a $5 - $10 min. but to pay someone
maybe up to $20 for bringing in my 4 bags seems a little much to me. Am I off base of what?

As far as restarants go.......I aways tip 20% unless the service has been really sub-standard or given with a bad attitude. (I cant stand attitudes when I'm paying good money)

Feb 12th, 2002, 06:02 AM
CnSand

hope that's a typo but seems pretty generous at $5 a bag. 18% to 20% is the standard for tipping if there isn't a service charge added on. and don't forget the housekeeping staff

Feb 12th, 2002, 07:21 AM
Beth

I think $5 per bag is excessive. Maybe $5 for two bags..As far as restaurants go 15% is still standard. I know that the restaurant industry is trying to push the 18 to 20% "standard" but it's in their interest to do so, since we can subsidize more wages. As the cost of dining increases, the 15% rule will still hold. Believe me, I am not trying to cheat hard workers, I don't like the industry being cheap with wages.

Feb 12th, 2002, 07:49 AM
Amy

I never mind paying 20% for good service and food. Great service can make or break any dining experience and I'm happy to well reward those that do well. I never consider that I'm subsidizing the restaurant but rather thanking them as well by rewarding their employee for a job well done.

Feb 12th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Maureen

Amy, I see your point, but why feel you should thank the restaurant for giving them your business? I understand thanking the waitstaff for a job well done but the restaurant should be thanking YOU for your business.