Reload this Page >

Help! We're headed to Young Island....

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2002, 07:19 PM
Leslie in MD

Thanks to everyone who posts here. I was so happy to find this site! Can you good, travelled folks help me out? After reading this board and many travel books, my hubby and I are off to Young Island in early March. Could anyone tell me what to expect of the restaurants, beach, and room? We're getting a deluxe room with plunge pool, we think. Also wondering if anyone could recommend anything special to do on St. Vincent's. Thanks in advance!<BR>

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 04:31 AM
Anon

Have never been but would love to hear what you think after your trip.Please post a trip report when you are done. I have been dying to go there for years now but cannot deal with the 12 hr+ travel time from NYC&gt;<BR>Check out Scubamom.com she has seemingly unbiased reviews of Young Island.Have a great time!!!

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Leslie

Leslie, we stayed at Young Island quite a few years ago. If you do a search on this board for "young island" you will get lots of info (maybe you already did this?). Anyway, two things stand out: trip to Falls of Baleine - you get to see alot of St. Vincent's coastline on the way - and renting a car and driving to the park (I think it's called Owia) on the northern tip, windward side of the island. Pack a lunch for that one!<BR><BR>Oh, and when we were there, the Manager's Party was actually a mini boatride to the tiny islet behind Young, which was lit up with torches, and had a staircase to the lookout at the top. Be sure to do this!

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 06:40 AM
fran

Hi, the tiny islet the previous poster referred to is not available for the manager's party anymore, due to instability of the structures built on it. However, I beleive they still light it up at night. I was married at Young Island ten years ago. It was a wonderful place then, and has since been renovated so I'm sure it's even better now. Service and staff were terrific. We did the ten day sailing package---7 days at hotel and 3 sailing to Bequia, Mustique and the Tobago Cays. On St Vincent see the Falls of Baleine, and I think there is also a parrot sanctuary but not sure about that. I do know St Vincent is the home of an endangered species of parrot so check that out. You will have a wonderful time.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 07:25 AM
Rickie

Hate to bust your bubble but ScubMom is employed to write the reviews so they are informative but they may also be biased to the resorts she is employed with.

Old Jan 28th, 2002, 09:00 AM
joan

Oops! Leslie, the reply from "leslie" is really from me. Guess I wrote the wrong name in!