Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Three to five couples celebrating 50th birthdays!!

Jul 17th, 2002, 11:54 AM
CM

We'd like to go to a beautiful beachfront resort with comfortable accomodations, great food, and great beach. Our budget is around $1200 per person. Please help! Please don't recomment Dominican Republic. Been there. Got sick. Not going again.

Jul 17th, 2002, 12:16 PM
SBHlover

Rent a fabulous villa in St. Barths. They all have pools, maid service and the larger villas are gorgeous. Take a look at www.wimco.com and you'll find details and photos of the villas.

Jul 17th, 2002, 01:45 PM
tivertonhouse

Talk to Debbi or Braxton Montcure (bluefieldvillas.com) owners of 5 luxe and wonderful private beachfront staffed villas on the untouristed South Coast of Jamaica at Bluefields Bay. A combination of Mullion Cove,St.Michele,Hermitage,Cottonwood and Honeymoon might really make all your 50ths memorable.

Jul 17th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Patty

Does the $1200 include air? If so, from where? How many days? What time of year?

Jul 18th, 2002, 02:21 PM
CM

This $1200 does include airfare from the midwest and preference is AI. My wife and I stayed at Couples Negril last year for seven nights for about $2200 and are looking for a comparable value. Main points of interest seem to be Riviera Maya and Jamaica, although we would be open to other islands. Trip is scheduled for late Jan. Thanks

Jul 18th, 2002, 02:27 PM
Nancy

CM, Check out locogringo.com.
They have a lot of listings from condos and villas to hotels and AI's. I've gone through them before. Nice folks!
I'd look at Cozumel, Akumal and Playa del Carmen. There is a lot to do and see from Cancun to the Tankah area, and anyone who likes ruins will have a good base to see several of the best ones.
Your airfare would also be pretty reasonable. I got $440 RT to Cancun from NC earlier this year, but you are looking at high season, so I don't know how much you should expect to spend.

Jul 19th, 2002, 05:44 AM
mary

CM: If you're worried about getting sick again, you'll probably want to scratch Riviera Maya off your list. It doesn't happen to everyone but it does happen and it happens quite a bit. However, you don't really have to worry about this in Cozumel.

Jul 19th, 2002, 07:27 AM
Nancy

Mary, Let's have specifics. I've been all over the area from Cancun down to Tankah many times and never been sick. To say that you are not going to get sick in Cozumel and WILL the rest of the area is silly and uninformed. I DID get sick in Cozumel this year for 1 day. (But I've spent more than 100 days there, so I guess the odds were against me.)
Where did you come up with those statistics?!

Jul 19th, 2002, 07:47 AM
mary

Well Nancy, consider yourself lucky. I never said you WILL get sick. Only that it’s possible and that it happens more than most people think. You want specifics, you got ‘em: A group of 20 of us stayed at Iberostar in Playa. I’d say half the group got sick, VERY sick, bedridden sick, for at least two days, including the bride and groom. A co-worker of mine said the exact same thing when he went for their family reunion – different resort, but still in Playa. About half the group became sick.

It’s NO secret Nancy, that people are susceptible to sickness on the mainland (Riveria Maya) because their water is different than ours and out bodies can’t tolerate it, mostly because we’re not used to it. Residents will not get sick as their bodies have grown to tolerate it. This is not the case in Cozumel as they use the different water source and therefore we are unlikely to sick there from the water. If you got sick in Coz, Nancy, more than likely it wasn’t from the water.

Still don’t believe me Nancy, then do a text search and you’ll finds lots of information, I’m sure, in the archives.

Jul 19th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Nancy

When people get sick in Mexico, it is almost always:
1.) Bad food at AI's that has been lying around on a buffet, picked over by many guests (that's why I NEVER stay at or recommend them)
2.) Fecal contamination from food handlers
3.) Water with bacteria that the tourist is unused to.
4.) Too much cerveza, tequila and sun.

I don't know which one of the above is the number one culprit, but I'd guess #1 or #4.
Most tourists know not to drink non-bottled water, and I'd be interested in knowing how the "source" for water differs in Cozumel from the rest of Mexico.
Yes, it's true, you can get sick anywhere, but "panic" posts telling someone to avoid an entire region that the vast majority of people travel to without incident deprives people of an opportunity to vacation in a wonderful place.

Jul 19th, 2002, 08:09 AM
JoeS

OK Mary. Let me get this straight. You and a bunch of people went to a cheesy all inclusive and all got sick. You know another bunch of people who went to another cheesy AI in PDC and they all got sick. Gee, that would make me stop going to cheesy allinclusives not Mexico.

Jul 19th, 2002, 08:18 AM
mary

Supposedly the resort (which in no way was cheesy) water was fine to drink. We all did a lot outside the resort and supposedly that's how they got sick. You guys are impossible and must be a real treat to live with. In no way am I bashing the area. I absolutely love it and can't wait to go back. Besides Joe, I never said we ALL got sick.

Jul 19th, 2002, 08:29 AM
Sarah

How about a package staying at the Rex St. Lucian Hotel in St. Lucia? American Airlines and Air Jamaica fly there among others. You can type out Rex St. Lucian Hotel, St. Lucia in Google and get information.