Search

Thinking of Grand Cayman after years in Turks and Caicos

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2016, 06:06 AM
Gin
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of Grand Cayman after years in Turks and Caicos

We've been going to Turks and Caicos for awhile but we are thinking about a change. Specifically looking at Grand Cayman and the SMB area. We would like a nice wide beach area where we can spread out without bumping into someone and a sandy bottom water entry and swimming area. Price wise we are looking at Plantana, Lacovia and London House as they have the amenities we like. We will rent a location so having places to walk to is not a concern. Any comments/suggestions as to the above noted condos and/or those locations are appreciated.
Old Jun 14th, 2016, 06:07 AM
Gin
Original Poster

We will rent a car - can't afford an entire location ;-)
Old Jun 15th, 2016, 03:52 PM

I don't know specifics but have been to Caymans twice, T&C 40 plus times.

T&C is about 20 years behind Caymans, but here are a few of (my opinion) differences:

Caymans has cruise ships, I've seen 7 at 1 time
Better shopping, better scuba/snorkel, more nightlife, Stingray City is cool at least once. There are chain restaurants

T&C has better beaches, less crowds, I like the restaurants settings better. Half Moon Bay is hard to top. It is quieter, less crowded, and less nightlife

If scuba and snorkel is not a consideration, check out Anguilla
Old Jun 15th, 2016, 07:17 PM
WWK

I used to go to Grand Cayman all the time when my kids were younger. We always stayed at VILLAS OF THE GALLEON, next to THE WESTIN, so I can't really comment on your accommodation choices. All three, however, are very close to town, restaurants, shopping.

But... SMB can be very crowded, with little room between you and your neighbors, especially once school is out and/or during winter break, etc.
Old Jul 4th, 2016, 01:04 PM

Plantana and Lacovia have nice beaches which are not crowded. The London House property is smaller with the building place on a strange angle. It is slighly busier because the management is more aggressive with the pricing.
What should be noted is that the beach areas in front of the condos are NOT crowded, even at peak times. The cruise ship passenger congregate at Royal Palms, Tiki Beach and the public beach. The hotel guests stay at their beaches which can get crowded.