Thinking of becoming PADI certified

Old Apr 7th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of becoming PADI certified

My wife and I are going to Provo next October. I am thinking of taking diving lessons while my wife veges on the beach. Not sure if I should go for the whole enchilada or just try the beginner course. Has anyone had any dealing with Ocean Vibes? We are staying at OCW.

http://www.oceanvibes.com/certification.htm
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 02:20 PM

I highly recommend getting your certification done before you go. You will be ready for the blue water when you get there. Most PADI operations will be able to give you an advanced open water certification during your stay. The important safety lectures and demos get too short a shrift IMO during resort classes. Great sport!
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 04:40 PM

Yalerider,

I am not sure where you live but I suggest that you take the open water course at home and then take your open water dives while on Provo. Your local dive shop will give you a referal letter that will allow you to do this. But definatley take the course versus taking a resort course only. Enjoy and safe diving!
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 06:24 PM

I agree with the above posters.

My first question is "how long will you be on Provo?" If it's a short time then I agree to get your book work done before you go and then do only your open water dives while there. I had a relative get certified here on my island during her vacation and it took up ALL of her time to where she never got a chance to see or do much else.

If possible, I'd do as much of your certification beforehand and then do your final steps while there. Or get fully certified before you go and enjoy diving while there.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 04:46 AM

I agree with the others - do your class and pool work before you go and then your first two days will be spent getting your certification.

While "resort courses" are popular, I personally think one learns a bare minimum of safety rules with those and it is important to learn far more before you do a dive.

We did a PADI "weekend" course - two weekends in a row for our class and pool work. It was quick and easy.
Old Apr 11th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the recommedations. I may simply just snorkel but if I change my mind we have a very good dive shop locally in Vancouver Washington called Thunder Reef Divers.