The Southern Bahamas. The best time to visit

Aug 24th, 2003, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

The Southern Bahamas. The best time to visit

We are considering one of the Southern Island but at this point we don't know whether it will be San Salvador, Long Island, Cat or Great Inagua.

What I would like to find out from those who traveled to Bahamas when is the best time for snorkeling and swimming in calm warm ocean, no rain and no crowds. We have two options, April 20-30 or May 15-25
Aug 24th, 2003, 08:17 PM

My guess would be May as just about the perfect time to be there. The water will have warmed up a bit and the temps should be in the upper 80s. The evenings will also be warm.

Have a great time.
Aug 31st, 2003, 08:53 AM

You will never have to worry about crowds ever at any of these islands. All are off of the usual tourist path. I would recommend actually going in April. These souther islands (especially Great Inagua) are much warmer than the Northern Bahamian islands. Bugs also get worse as summer (May) approaches. Suggest San Sal (Club Med) or Long Island first. If you can swing it, take a local charter flight to Great Inagua for an overnight to see one of the few breeding fields of the Flamingos. Amazing sight not seen by many, however it would be difficult for a vacationer to do much more on the island than 2 days to visit the Flamingos.

Search this Thread