Please help with winter Carribean vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to plan winter vacation if possible around Cristamas, if it's to late to book, we can go in early January. But I'm very confuse about where to go. We will be with 9 year old son. We want to be on beach,but also be able to see more than just a resort. My friend recomended all inclusive resort IBEROSTAR PUNTA CANA in Dominican republic, other people all inclusive in Cancune. I'm not sue if we can take some tours outside of resert. Is there anything interesting to see in Dominican Republic? We don't have to go there, it could be Mexico or any other places. Ideal would be some beach time plus some sightseing. It doesn't have to be all inclusive also. When actually prices will go down? I understand that Cristams is very expensive time, so may be we will take our son from school for couple of days in January. Of couse money is consideration.
Please help me!!! Time is running out and I can't make my mind.
Thanks a lot
Mariya
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 05:02 AM

I know some people are stuck on All Inclusive but I could never understand why.You miss the flavor of the islands, not to mention the high cost. Look at Timothy Beach Resort in St. Kitts. A condominium hotel, not A/I but if you are on a budget, they have everything you need. www.timothybeachresort.com
Old Aug 24th, 2003, 09:22 AM

We have been to the Atlantis on Paradise Island twice now. Once with our 4 kids and sister's family with they were 12-22 and once with our grown kids. It was their very favorite both times. You can find specials, but we actually stayed at the Comfort Suites right next door that is also owned by the Atlantis. You get a very nice breakfast included in the package. We stayed four to a room and the room charge was $149 per room. That was this past January. The Comfort Suites is actually as close to the Atlantis main lobby as some part of the Atlantis. There was no all inclusive available. We walked the bridge into Nasaau (10 minutes) and went to a nice Chinese restaurant, Outback Steakhouse, a good pizza place. You can do so much for free with the water slides and such that we didn't do any paid activities. But we'd done snorkeling and all that in the past. Go to the website and check out the Atlantis. Do not book the Comfort Suites through their website or you'll pay more. I first checked sites like travelocity and orbitz and got the best price and then called Comfort Inn and they matched it. You can also get some very good rates on cruises at vacationsexpress.com . We've also done that and if you get the right ship, it's great. Good Luck

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot.
Mariya
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 07:20 AM

Atlantis is great but don't go in January. It's cold in the Bahamas in January. You run the risk of Cancun area being cold also. It's always too chilly to swim for me. We went once in January and it was so chilly at night everyone had to wear the jeans the wore down there every night but one. We went on the cruise this past January and it did not warm up until we hit Dominican. I've never been there but am going in two days. Your best bet for that time of year is farther south in the Virgin Islands, although they are pricy in January. You might want to consider a cruise. You can get great deals and there's lots to keep your son busy.
Old Aug 31st, 2003, 08:26 AM

I agree with AOliver about the cool January weather. But if you do go to Atlantis (good family place), suggest day tours outside the resort to Harbour Island on the Fast Ferries and to Eleuthra Island on the IslandAdventure Ferry (all can be arranged at Atlantis), which will allow you to see island life. If coming over Christmas---stay for New Years and go to the local New Year's Junkanoo parade! You will never forget it. It is unlike anything in the US. There are large New Year's fireworks shows, at private estates and at Atlantis which can be seen from anywhere Nassau. Then the parade runs downtown from 2:00am to 12:00pm the next day. You could stay up for the fireworks, sleep a few hours, go to the parade at 7:00am. A very memorable New Year. (Oh, for cost reasons try the Harbourside Resort/Condos opporated by Atlantis with full access to Atlantis facilities. They are timeshare condos that are available for rent, which would allow you to eat some meals (breakfast/lunch) in the room.)