Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   The key words are mountainous, laid-back, tropical delight, laid-back, small resorts, and did I mention laid-back??? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/the-key-words-are-mountainous-laid-back-tropical-delight-laid-back-small-resorts-and-did-i-mention-laid-back-104274/)

Joel Feb 5th, 2001 04:03 PM

The key words are mountainous, laid-back, tropical delight, laid-back, small resorts, and did I mention laid-back???

We've done the BVI many times, Jamaica, Cuba, Puerto Rico, and the USVI. We've lived in Europe and visited Africa and Asia for that matter. We like tropical splendor on mountainous islands. We especially like small, unpretentious resorts that take good care of you, but are not hung up on gold-plated taps and marble tile. Terra cotta tile and a simple bed, maybe a half kitchen, will do nicely We want a resort that blends in a bit and looks like it belongs there. Nice people, too, competent, but who don't do anything quite on time. Don't care about shopping and don't need to see 4 cruise ships per day. We both speak fluent French so a French island is not a put-off (nor a must). Shopping not unimportant. We seek to sit in the shade on our verandah and gaze on natural beauty. Getting mildly drunk in the afternoon on good wine is compatible with our view of good health. A very good table with the meal served in natural surroundings is essential. Refined people in this tropical paradise would be just splendid. Is there such a place? Your advice is most welcome! <BR>

paul Feb 5th, 2001 05:25 PM

Joel try any of: <BR>Le Jardin Malanga, Trois Rivieres,Basse-Terre, Guadeloupe <BR>Le Domaine de Malendure, Bouillante, Basse-Terre, Guadeloupe <BR>Habitation Grande Anse, Deshaies, Basse-Terre, Guadeloupe <BR>Plantation Leyritz, Martinique <BR>Habitation Lagrange, Martinique <BR> <BR>All are what you describe, all have reputations for excellent service, in/overlooking the rainforest. <BR> <BR> <BR>

Peggy Feb 5th, 2001 05:45 PM

Does it have to be in the Caribbean? You've described my perfect vacation & the outer island resorts in Fiji; Vatulele being my favorite. Depends on what you want to spend, though there is one to fit your budget. Or look into Petit St. Vincent in the Grenadines.

Mike Feb 5th, 2001 06:54 PM

Joel, you describe two resorts in St. Lucia - Anse Chastenet and Ladera. We've stayed at Anse Chastenet twice, and loved it. It has everything in your description except the half kitchen, and a reef right off the beach to boot. If you can afford it, stay in the hillside premium rooms. See www.ansechastenet.com, as well as the reviews on this site. <BR> <BR>Had friends stay at Ladera. It's right up in the mountains, and they raved about it. Again, more rave reviews here, and the web site at www.ladera-resort.com. <BR> <BR>You won't be dissapointed by either. <BR> <BR>Regards, <BR> <BR>Mike

Lori Feb 6th, 2001 04:58 AM

I agree with Mike, definitely St. Lucia!

Karen Feb 6th, 2001 05:12 AM

Joel - you want Ladera!

lisa Feb 6th, 2001 07:26 AM

You just described Ladera Resort on St. Lucia to a "T." Check out www.ladera-resort.com. It is absolutely magical.

Sooooz Feb 6th, 2001 11:48 AM

I'll second the vote for Anse Chastanet on St. Lucia. We loved it! <BR> <BR>Sooooz

Mellissa Feb 6th, 2001 02:57 PM

You haven't experienced true paradise untill you have traveled to Bora Bora, French Polyensia. It boast the most beautiful lagoon in the world. The colors will amaze you turning from turquoise to deep blue to aqua and almost every shade in between. <BR> <BR> The island is surounded by a motu where many fine resorts are establihed. Accutualy, you get the best view by staying on the motu. I can recommend the Pearl Beach Resort for the best view of the island with it's gigantic mountainous peaks. This resort had beach bungalows and overwater bungalows. <BR> <BR> Do yourself a favor and look into it. I could go on all day about it.

Brooke Feb 6th, 2001 03:24 PM

I had to reply to your question as soon as I saw it because that is exactly what my fiance and I were looking for for our honeymoon after planning the details of a wedding for a year! -- doing nothing in a beautiful, lush, mountainous island with nice people and on a beautiful beach at a great hotel -- and that was Anse Chastnet for us. (However, there is a lot to do if you want to do that too...we have to go back to visit the rainforest) You feel secluded, the people are nice, the beach is private, the drinks are great,the food was good the rooms are something to be experienced, and it's one of the most romantic hotels in the world. You'll love St. Lucia and Anse Chastnet. Extremely laid back.

Phil Feb 7th, 2001 11:57 AM

St. Barth is tropical mountainous and very French. Rent a villa and live large. Check out www.stbarth.com and www.st-barths.com.

anne Feb 7th, 2001 12:13 PM

Absolutely St. Bart's. It is a very pretty island and a lot easier to get around than St. Lucia. It is very nice.