5 star family resort that's not too expensive

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I'm new to this forum, hoping I can get some good suggestions.
We are looking to travel in January, 1st or 2nd week, to either Mexico, Dominican or Jamaica. Would love to try some of the other islands like Aruba, Turks, but can't afford them.
So I'm looking for luxury but good value, if that's even possible.
We have a 5 year old and 1 year old. We are a bit concerned about getting sick from food/water so I'm not sure which island you are less likely to get sick on. Also for me very important is having a good hospital or private clinic with American standards, near by in case of an emergency.
Does any one know which island would have that?
Also, which 5 star resorts are fairly new, say no more than 5 years old, very clean and cater to kids, ie. kids pools, kids clubs etc.
Im sure my wish list is too long but I would welcome any suggestions please.
Thank you!
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 04:30 PM

You are sending us mixed messages by asking for a 5-star fairly new luxury resort that's "not too expensive". Quite honestly all 5-star resort are going to be on the pricey side, especially in January which is the peak of high season in the Caribbean. You won't find any hidden bargains - you are going to pay top dollar for the 5-star resorts no matter which island they are on.

In order for us to be of help you have to tell us how much you can actually afford. Tell us where you are flying from and how much you have available for airfare, accommodations, food and activities. It's the only way we can be of any real help.

In the meantime look at Atlantis (on Nassau in the Bahamas) it offers everything on your wish list.
Old Nov 10th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Our budget is approx $1,300 plus taxes per person for all inclusive. We are flying from Toronto. And I have seen some deals on-line ex. Itravel2000 for 5 star resorts, sometimes for even a thousand or just below. But that's probably for less popular resorts and last minute.
I just need some direction as to which 5 star resorts give you the best value and perhaps sometimes go on sale.
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 01:42 AM

Those 5 star resorts are not going to be real 5 stars, more like 2 stars. It is not the same standards!

In janurary for that price, more than half will be air. That leaves less than $100 pp for room and AI. Definitely not 5 stars.

I'm saying this so your expectations are on par.

Dominican and Mexico might be it. You might also want to check Belize and Roatan.

While I didn't get sick enough to go to Dr., SR made my tummy upset for about a week. And you know what they say about the water in Mexico. (although it's gotten better through the years)

For your budget these are the only places you can consider, and standards won't be close to what you think are equal to Canadian standards. I'm saying this so expectations are true.

You can stretch your budget much more in summer, even going to other islands that have at tracked you more.

As for hospital, is there a condition that you need one for or for just in case? Many in Caribbean fly back to US for a reason. My best suggestion if "equal" facilities to States is important is to get insurance for everyone, especially if you have to fly back. (which could put you out $10,000 plus or more)

Now island hospital can take care of many regular ailments, such ad swimmers ear and a broken bone. But sometimes if major car accident for example, you might want the extra insurance.

In my opinion, Mexico has the best AI for the money.
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 03:30 AM

The way I see it, something has to give......either your budget, your travel time, or your 5 star expectations.

Mexico & DR are your only hope, but I highly doubt you'll find a "5 star" resort for 3 star prices during peak season in January.

When is comes to the hospital part....good luck in the DR or Mexico.

Not trying to be mean or anything, but your wants are a tad on the unrealistic side.
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 04:13 AM

Yes, you can probably find a package deal on Itravel2000 in your $1,500 PP price range but don't forget you'll have to add taxes, etc. to those prices - read the Terms & Conditions carefully.

They will be mostly in Mexico and the DR not other islands.

No, they won't be 5-star or even 4-star hotels - more like 2-star as Blamona points out and it's doubtful any will be less than 5 years old.

Doubtful you'll find any true 5-star and 4-star resorts that will have "sales" for January unless the world economy really tanks in the near future. Prices will be what prices will be and 4/5-stars will always be at the top of the price scale and way above your $1,500 PP budget.

I have a home in the Caribbean and would only go to the local hospital for routine things like colds and flu. Anything more serious and I'd go back to the US for treatment. Almost every Ex-pat I know has Medical Evacuation Insurance for just this situation. If you or anyone in your party have a medical condition that gives you major concerns consult with your doctor BEFORE you make your trip and have a plan in place so you know what to do in case you need medical treatment.

If you are just concerned about getting "Montezuma's Revenge" then just drink bottled water during your trip - it will lessen your chances of exposure. Ask your primary care physician to give you preventative instruction/medication before you leave.

With a $1,500 PP budget you really have to have more realistic expectations.
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 06:01 AM
KVR

I agree with the above. The best bang for your buck is going to be an AI in Mexico for that budget. The only thing is that in January the pools are really going to be too cold to swim in if that makes a difference to you. The ocean temps will be fine. We used to go to Mexico in a November or December, but we stopped because the pools were like ice to us. Only a few resorts have heated pools in the winter, but they seem to be at the adult's only resorts and only the people that pay for the resort's "Premium/Royal/Excellance" service has access to them. It's a rip off.

We have been to many AI's in the Caribbean also and found for the money and the amenities, the resorts in Mexico are more lux and cost efficient.

Truthfully, I don't think you are going to find what you are looking for to tick off everything on your list. You'll have to compromise on most of it.
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 06:14 AM

And to further add, the true 4-5 star properties have been booked for January months ago, which leaves the "leftover" properties that aren't truly 4-5 star to give sales.

If their having a sale in peak season, that tells you something!

;-)

Truly wait until June, and you can get a gorgeous property for those prices. Pools will be wry too!
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 06:15 AM

Not wry, warm, sorry!
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 07:27 AM

Just to clarify, your budget is $1,300 x 4 for a total of $5,200 for a week including airfare, correct?

You will need to start with airfare. Depending on where you are flying from, you may be able to find some specials, but likely flights will be $500-1,000 per person. So let's say an average of $750 each, leaving you with $2,200 for lodging and food. (Of course, if you have frequent flier miles or have a separate budget for flights this totally changes the equation).

You can probably find nice budget places for a family in the $300/night range.These would not be five star properties, but certainly nice enough. Especially consider condos or vacation rentals on places like vrbo. You would then need to decide how many nights would be reasonable, in order to stay within your budget. For example, if you did four nights in a $300/night property, you'd have about $1,000 for food and activities, which should be plenty for a four day trip. (If you stay in a condo or other place w a kitchen, you'll save on food costs preparing say breakfast and lunch yourself).

Obviously, if you increase the days of the trip, the budget for everything else gets smaller. So you just need to balance out number of nights, expectations of property, level of food and activities, and transportation costs to fit your budget. And I'd also like to second the idea of looking at Belize as a budget friendly choice. Happy planning!
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 07:59 AM

If "having a good hospital or private clinic with American standards, near by in case of an emergency" is really important, forget about Belize.

DH needed emergency treatment (not for a life threatening condition, but a broken finger), and we were 3 1/2 hrs away from Belize City. Our hotel owner, a Canadian, drove us there because apparently the other (closer) hospital did not have an x-ray machine.

While in US that broken finger would've required micro-surgery, it was only taped in Belize, and never healed properly. This is by no means to scare you off, Belize was wonderful and we will go back, but if close medical facilities are required, it might not be for you.
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 08:56 AM

Another suggestion that may meet your wish list is Florida.
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 11:52 AM

I agree with Florida.....but it's not exactly warm there in January... ;-)
Old Nov 11th, 2013, 05:07 PM
KVR

I found the prices for beach hotels/condos in Florida very expensive compared to Mexico. Throw in having to buy food and drinks, it's not going to be a price saver.

We were looking at the Ft. Walton Beach area for May. Air and a decent hotel for 2 was coming in between $1,800 to $2,000. I can get a mid range AI in Mexico for that same price and it includes food and drinks. Guess were we are going?

Been to Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and Key West for almost twice that price.
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 05:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think people are being a little overly pessimistic. If in fact your budget is 1300 x 4 for a total of $5200 you should be able to find at least a solid four star hotel. For example I just checked orbitz for Toronto to cancun for jan 4 - jan 11 and found the Riu palace peninsula all inclusive for a total price of 4354 incl taxes. That is a relatively new and very nice property. If you want non stop flights the price goes up to just about 5200, still in your range.

Not sure if cancun it's your hospital/clinic criteria.
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 10:03 AM
KVR

Even though the RIU may state they are a 4* in reality they are not. I have been to over 15 AI resorts and the RIU is the worst resort we have ever been to. The chain is a low budget, family resort. You get what you pay for. Definitely not what the OP stated they are looking for. Instead look at the Iberostars or Barcelos.

Truthfully, they are not going to find a 5* AI resort for 4 people for $5,000 in January. A solid 3* more than likely.
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 10:39 AM

((Even though the RIU may state they are a 4* in reality they are not. I have been to over 15 AI resorts and the RIU is the worst resort we have ever been to. The chain is a low budget, family resort. ))

I am not disagreeing with your assessment of the Riu you have been to but the one in cancun that I referenced is not a low budget hotel by any means bIt is at least a four star property and it gets overall very good reviews.
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 10:41 AM

Before you slam the entire chain why don't you take a look at the reviews and pics of the specific property.
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of your responses. I think majority of my responders have different standard of living, expectations and realms. Tom42 I agree with you, you can definitely find a decent 4 or even 5 star sometimes, specials for AI at my price point...maybe only in Mexico, DR, but for sure you can....Barcelos, ilberostar as well.
Thank you every one!