Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   The Hilton Barbados (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/the-hilton-barbados-634250/)

qphoumma Jul 26th, 2006 03:02 PM

The Hilton Barbados

My boyfriend and I will be spending several days at the Hilton Barbados in October. Has anyone been there? Are there any restaraunts within walking distance? Any info. on the area will be well appreciated. Thanks!

ScubaMom Jul 26th, 2006 05:07 PM

We stayed there a couple nights last December. Nice hotel, very nice rooms, but very spendy too. It has a restaurant which had fairly good food, and perhaps there's others nearby or within short taxi distance. Ask at the hotel when you arrive.

nanorran Jul 27th, 2006 08:36 AM

I believe the only one in walking distance is Brown Sugar which is supposed to be fairly good but we didn't try it. Not aware of any others. Hilton fine dining restaurant we thought was good , not great and will be expensive. The other restaurant was just okay - didn't think the breakfast buffet was all that great. Ate most breakfast in executive lounge. The pool/beach bar had horrible service for food (drinks fine) Taxi to the "gap" area isn't too bad cost-wise and then there are alot of options there and it is fun area.

ejcrowe Jul 27th, 2006 09:58 AM

I was told that Brown Sugar had burnt down a couple of years ago and had not been rebuilt. Have I been misinformed? I hope so, as I have some good memories from that restaurant.

Knowing Jul 28th, 2006 06:41 AM

Please post a trip report when you return. We will be especially interested in hearing what you think of the area that the hotel is located in. Thanks!

micjor Jul 29th, 2006 05:02 PM

Brown Sugar is back up and better than ever...walking distance from the hotel

ejcrowe Jul 30th, 2006 11:30 AM

Glad to hear it, indeed. Thank you for confirming it for me!

ctkathy Aug 2nd, 2006 11:09 AM

Hilton Barbados is a big convention type hotel with a lot of meetings going on, quite a few kids, too. This hotel doesn't really give you the feeling of being in the Caribbean, but the views of the ocean are very nice. Location is not walking distance to much at all, but the Brown Sugar restaurant, specializing in local cuisine, is within walking distance. Food at the hotel is edible, but we didn't go to the fine dining restaurant and that may very well have fine food. Be sure to go to The Cliff for dinner--wonderful food. The gym is good at the Hilton. Beach lounges can be scarce if the property is heavily booked.

Knowing Aug 3rd, 2006 09:09 AM

Thanks, Kathy. We will be there in February. The Cliffs is #1 on our list. Seems like it's a favorite for everyone.

qphoumma Aug 3rd, 2006 10:00 AM

What is the price range for The Cliffs?

ejcrowe Aug 3rd, 2006 10:14 AM

Knowing, I didn't realize you were headed to Barbados next year. Where will you be staying? How long?

When we did the Cliff in 2002, it was a bit of a mixed bag for us. We thought the service was exquisite and the atmosphere one of the most spectacular of any place we've been. (Ask for a table on the lowest level, closest to the water.) However, we only thought the food was pretty good and not up to the standards of the service or the ambience. And certainly not up to the price tag. We've had better food at more than a dozen other restaurants in the Caribbean at half the cost. This was THE most expensive meal I've ever eaten in my life so far.

That being said, I would still go again, especially for a romantic celebration, but I would have lower expectations for the food quality. I would also point out that I am in the minority when it comes to this place, as most folks seem to swoon over the food!

Lois Aug 3rd, 2006 01:57 PM

The Brown Sugar reopened this year and I hear it is doing well.

The Cliff is the most expensive restaurant on the island. They currently charge $87.50 per person US for 2 courses, but that's before tax, tip and any drinks you may have. While the food is good, we did not feel the service was the same as it had been.

We much prefer The Restaurant at Southsea on the South Coast. Delicious, unique, gourmet menu, much better service than The Cliff and setting at water's edge. Be sure to say hello to Alfred Taylor the warm, congenial manager and tell him Lois Swanson highly recommended. They always go out of their way for people that I've recommended it to.

Lois
Barbados Insider Tips

Knowing Aug 4th, 2006 11:43 AM

Hi EJ,
We decided on the Hilton. I really wanted to stay on the west coast, but I just cannot justify spending $1200+ a night at Sandy Lane and The House had too many mixed reviews. My husband will be happy with the pool and the beach. We are planning on being there about eight days. Thanks for the warning about the Cliff. You're right. Everyone does seem to swoon over it.
Lois, I'm mostly hearing good things about Brown Sugar. I don't know the Southsea resturant name at all. But I trust your advice, so it's added to my list. Once again, by the time winter arrives, I will be going with so much advice, my notes could be made into a book. My husband stopped shaking his head a long time ago though and started thanking me for all the good research.

ejcrowe Aug 4th, 2006 12:18 PM

Knowing, it sounds like you'll have a great time. My own stay in Barbados was only 4 nights and we hardly had time to see anything at all, but we were quite smitten with the beach and our room at Cobblers Cove. I didn't mean to "warn you off" The Cliff--I really would go back for a special occasion. And who knows? Maybe the chef was having an off night when we were there!

xkenx Aug 4th, 2006 12:55 PM

Knowing, the ambiance where the Hilton is is just not that of the west coast, where some of the hotels are in tropical paradise settings. It is said of Sandy Lane that it is where the wealthy/famous go to be seen. At Coral Reef Club, people go mostly to not be seen. Coral Reef Club is the class act on the island. Family-owned for some 50 years, gorgeous grounds, nice beach, plantation-style low-rise bldgs. and cottages. Much less pricey than Sandy Lane. This is an authentic Caribbean hotel, not a transplanted American one. See www.coralreefbarbados.com

Knowing Aug 5th, 2006 09:10 AM

EJ,
I had actually looked at Cobblers Cove several times. I understand that they have a nice library and a great restaurant. But no, I couldn't convince my husband. And, xkenx, I am well aware of the reputation of the Coral Reef Club. I showed my husband the junior suites with the sitting areas and the balconies, but he has OCD and many times he isn't comfortable with older properties. I'm just happy that he is willing to travel, so it's worth it to me to stay at the Hilton and be able to go to Barbados, as it's a destination I've wanted to visit for many years.

xkenx Aug 5th, 2006 10:18 AM

Coral Reef Club has had recent upgrades; in fact, the several buildings and cottages closest to the water were newly-built in the past few years. Nothing old about the place, except for the prime setting.

cindgail Aug 8th, 2006 05:24 PM

I just got back from staying 8 nights at the Hilton. If you haven't booked it yet, and aren't concerned about Hilton point, go to Hotwire.com. The only 4 star hotel they list will be the Hilton. I got it for $118 a night. I was very happy with the property. We walked to Brown Sugar and it was a five minute walk and good. Another 10 minute walk would get you to the Savannah Hotel where they have a nice restaurant. We didn't eat there but heard it was good. Next to that is the 39 Steps Wine Bar & Bistro which is also supposed to be good. We walked another 15 minutes from the above and went to Bubba's for lunch which was great. Also, if you don't mind walking, we walked from the Hilton to Bridgetown, in the other direction. It took us about 35 minutes and we had a delicious lunch at the Waterfront Cafe. They have a great buffet and jazz band on Tuesday nights. FYI - you'll get better information on restaurants from the cab drivers than the girls who book tours at the Hotel. Same with the tours, they are probably using the businesses that give them a kickback. If you want to go snorkeling or on the jeep safari tour, etc, know before you go what company you want to use and request it.

marcie_b Aug 15th, 2006 01:59 PM

My husband and I will be staying at the Hilton for 10 nights starting this coming Sunday, August 20. Will post a report upon our return. We've followed lots of Lois's Barbados tips, and have booked dinner at The Cliff, at The Restaurant at Southsea, and The Tides. (We like fine dining!!!)Will let you know how we think they compare.

We also hope to use this trip to shop around the other hotels and rental villa locations for a return trip. We booked at the Hilton because we wanted to be sure we had good beaches, and they do. FYI, got a good package including discounted air on AA through American Express Vacations.

Knowing Aug 16th, 2006 01:15 PM

Thanks for the additional tips. Sounds like the taxi cab drivers will be interesting to talk to. We haven't booked as of yet. Packages are a bit slower in the Minneapolis area. I will look into these other options. Have a good trip, Marcie. I look forward to hearing all about it when you return!