Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   The Grenadines (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/the-grenadines-213019/)

Bob May 3rd, 2002 11:10 AM

The Grenadines

I am planning a trip in August and I was thinking about the Grenadines for some peace and quiet. Any hotel recommendations, I do not want to stay on St. Vincent. Thanks.

curiousx May 3rd, 2002 02:35 PM

There are lots of nice little hotels on Bequia. But I caution that August is rainy season (typically 6" in that month) although they tell me it mostly falls at night.<BR><BR>Frangipani is the benchmark hotel for the whole of the Grenadines, IMHO, but you may find it a bit too social if you're looking for absolute peace and quiet. <BR><BR>Plantation House is certainly peaceful, and is the closest that Bequia has to an AI (and the highest prices). <BR><BR>On the north end of the island, Spring Hotel on Spring Plantation and Industry Hotel on Industry Bay are the ultimate in getting away from it all. <BR><BR>On Friendship Bay, the Friendship Hotel, the Bequia Beach Club and Blue Tropic on Friendship Bay are all good and the beach is super. <BR><BR>Lower Bay's guest houses (Keegan's, Low Bay, De Reef, Kingsville and its one hotel (Creole Garden) are simple accommodation in a traditional fishing village with a beautiful beach. <BR><BR>This website has some of the best info on Bequia: http://www.hwcn.org/~aa462/bequia.html <BR><BR>On Canouan (population maybe 700-1000?), I would recommend only the French-run Canouan Beach Hotel that has been there for years. Give the big ugly gross AI a miss.<BR><BR>I don't know the hotels on Union but would suggest you visit the 'Usual Suspects' website for some interesting articles on this island.<BR><BR>On Mayreau (population less than Canouan), you have the choice of Saltwhistle Bay resort or Dennis' Hideaway (not recommended - Dennis is a great guy but noisy) or one other small spot that I forget.<BR><BR>If AI's are your thing, and you have lots of $$, the resorts of Palm Island, Young Island, Cotton House Hotel (on Mustique) are worth checking out. Certainly you won't feel crowded.<BR><BR>Carriacou (part of the Grenadian Grenadines) is a great little place. Tanki's Paradise Inn on the stunning beach of the same name is well worth staying at. Tip - do NOT stay in the hot and noisy town of Hillsborough and its ugly concrete guesthouses.<BR><BR>The website www.grenadines.net is a wonderful source of info for most of the SVG and Grenadian Grenadines.<BR><BR>I'm heading for the Grenadines myself for a few weeks of sunning and sailing...can hardly wait !<BR><BR>Happy to answer other questions, if you have them.

curiousx May 6th, 2002 04:52 AM

I forgot to mention another get-away-from-it-all option on Bequia. This is the Old Fort, high up on Mount Pleasant. Host Othmar also runs has a high quality kitchen.

curiousx Jan 10th, 2003 10:07 AM

Just an update to my last post on Grenadines hotels.<BR><BR>1. The Plantation House (aka Sunny Caribbee) on Bequia closed its doors this summer. The staff, many of whom worked there for years, actually kept on showing up to work, even though there was no pay. Everyone hopes there will be a new owner soon.<BR><BR>2. I should have noted in mentioning the Industry Bay hotel, on Bequia, that it is only for those comfortable with seriously rustic (to be kind) accommodation. Also, for much of the year, the constant wind can be annoying. That said, it's a great place for lunch, full moon BBQ and good snorkelling out at the reef.<BR><BR>3. Also, sadly, as mentioned in my separate post, Tanki's Paradise Inn on Carriacou has closed too.<BR><BR>4. Old Fort is excellent, and run, for the past while now, by a delightful English couple

Kathy Jan 18th, 2003 10:30 AM

Just got back from Bequia/St Vincent. Stayed at the Frangipani and while it was fantastic....no A/C and tons of mosiquitos. Would recommend a place with A/C just to control those damn mossies.

Sara Jan 18th, 2003 10:46 AM

Kathy,<BR><BR>Please post a trip report on your vacation! I am bound for Young Island in April and would love to hear about the highs and lows of your trip. Any tips would be appreciated. We will be taking a two day sail to Bequia and Mustique and well as a day in the Tobago Cays!

curiousx Jan 19th, 2003 04:21 PM

To Kathy: oh yes, the famous grenadines mossies - I normally find sleeping under a net is sufficient protection (the trick is to tuck the net under the mattress all the way around the bed...don,t just drape it over).<BR><BR>Sometimes,conditions may warrant keeping a coil or a mat burning all night. But the best thing is a good natural breeze or a fan that just keeps blowing them away (I must confess I don't like air-conditioning, though)