Search

The Exumas in Bahamas

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 02:20 AM
Eric

The Exumas in Bahamas

Are the waters in the Exumas really as clear and beautiful as they say they are? What are the differences, if any, between Great Exuma and Little Exuma? Is there a lot of poverty on this island? Thanks.

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 02:43 PM
tweedy

Eric, I don't know muvh about the Exumas, but I can tell you that the waters are even more beautiful than you have heard. The water is so crystal clear you can watch fish swimming in the water at depths of 50 feet or more. Snorkling and diving in the Bahamas is some of the best in the world. <BR> <BR>IF you go to www.bahamas.com and ask that question you will probably get lots of good info. <BR> <BR>Have a great trip and tell the gang on the board I said HI <BR> <BR>tweedy

Old Oct 4th, 2000, 04:58 PM
Robert

Eric; The waters are gin-colored around both Exumas. We rented a boat from the dive shop in Georgetown, I believe it was called Exuma Fantasy, and explored around Elizabeth Cay. Unbelievable reefs. Also fun to go to Stocking Island. Unfortunately, the dive master, who was a marine biologist from Columbus, Ohio, died of cancer. But, his wife runs the dive shop with the Downtown Hotel Peace & Plenty in Georgetown. I would take a few dives or snorkel trips with the dive operation there, learn the cays and where the great shallow reefs are, then rent a Boston Whaler and go out by yourself. On one patch reef in the protected harbor, in about 20 feet, we saw Angel fish, Green Moray Eels, Baracuda(of course, they're everywhere), hunderds of blue tang, Sargeant Majors, damselfish, several octopus, caribbean squid, several reef sharks, triggerfish, many trumpet fish, Nassau Grouper, southern stingrays, and corals of all kinds. The patch reef was in the shape of an oval, only about 60 feet across! The visibility was over 100 feet. Have fun. Robert

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 02:01 AM
Robert

Forgot; I have a Trip Report on Exuma. E-mail me if you want it; too long to post on the board. Robert

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 01:46 PM
Robert

Cathy; My email reply with Exuma trip report was just sent. Sorry it took so long, misplaced the floppy disc. Robert

Old Oct 14th, 2000, 12:46 PM
Deborah

The Exumas have probably the prettiest water in the Bahamas. It is very unspoiled. It is great to get a boat and go exploring. You will have most of the beaches to yourself even in high season. No real difference between Little and Big. I think Little is a little less populated. Every one you meet had the same last name "Rolle"! The people were great. No real poverty. They say (on the island) you can't be poor when you can fish and grow your your own vegetables! Everyone has there owns a little plot of land to do just that. <BR> <BR>It is very sparsely populated and a great place to visit. If you want beautiful beaches and to have them all to yourself, GO!