Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   The Buccaneer in St. Croix (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/the-buccaneer-in-st-croix-180692/)

jennifer Aug 25th, 2001 10:19 AM

The Buccaneer in St. Croix

Hey folks: <BR> <BR>I am a dedicated follower of Fodor's travel guides. They are the only ones I trust when planning a vacation. So I hold all fellow Fodorites in high regard. So far, from messages I have posted and read you all have some great advice to offer! My husband and I were encouraged to hear such positive things about the Buccanear in St. Croix. We are planning our first Caribbean trip and the resort sounded elegant and peaceful, with all the necessary amenities. We don't want to seem anti-children...we truly aren't. But we just don't want to be around a lot of children on our vacation. Seems like whenever we go to the beach, you can't even get near a pool because the kids are using it. If anyone been to the Buccaneer during the winter season (we are going early March), I'd like to know about your experience. Was it a more adult and couple-oriented resort? I for one am looking to reconnect with my husand on this trip and would be disappointed if it were a hugely family-oriented place. <BR> <BR> <BR>Thanks for the advice! <BR> <BR>

Eileen Aug 27th, 2001 06:41 AM

My husband and I are going to the Bucc next April and I have also done a lot of research. The Bucc is very family-oriented but I think the property is large enough that the kids don't seem to take over the place. We travel once a year without our two and have the same concerns you do. One thing we have found is that even if we go at a time when school is in session, there are still plenty of infants, toddlers and preschoolers around. So we try to choose places that are 1) large enough and have enough recreation choices on the property -- several pools and beaches for example so you can find your own quiet area or 2) are small resorts that don't cater to children. The Bucc falls into the first category. The rooms are also spread all over the resort so you can probably request to be away from families which is what we are planning to do. The bottom line is if you think the presence of kids will put a major damper on your vacation, choose an adults-only resort. Last April we went to Pt. Grace, a very intimate, upscale resort not geared toward children and there were still at least 10 children at this very small resort. So you never know . . .

chazz Aug 27th, 2001 09:21 AM

It seems that The Buccaneer tries hard to attract families after the "summer" rates take effect - probably April 1 or April 15. Their rate structure makes it much more expensive to bring children along during the "high season" (winter). <BR>If you can go while the winter rates are in effect, and avoid school vacation periods like Christmas Week and Presidents' Week, there probably won't be a lot of children at the resort. <BR>If you're going in early March, the timing should be good. These days, however, the only way to really guarantee the absence of noisy kids is to go to an adults-only resort. <BR>

jennifer Aug 27th, 2001 03:23 PM

Thanks Chazz and Eileen. Eileen, I think you are right about the whole issue. Unless you live under a rock or stay in exclusive resorts, you will be around kids. We haven't won the Lottery yet, so we won't be visiting any celebrity hidewaways anytime soon. If you truly want quiet, you probably have to pay for it. We were looking at St. John, in fact. But most of the places are villas. We were concerned about cost and opted for a location that has better access to shopping, etc. Thanks, Chazz for the recommendations on school breaks, etc. My husban figured since the rates are quite high in winter, that it would preclude families from traveling. But nowadays, you just don't know, right/ We will definitely check with the resort. Do either of you have recommendations on rooms? HOw would you both rate your experience on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the best? <BR> <BR>Thanks again!

Eileen Aug 28th, 2001 06:25 AM

We have been told that the oceanfront rooms are a good choice as being close to the water is important to us and they are also close to the beach. A drawback is that they are far away from the main house (this could be a plus depending on how you look at it). The Beachside Doubloons are the newest, nicest and largest but significantly more $$ so our choice is the deluxe oceanfront.

mr ed Aug 29th, 2001 07:00 PM

Is there a charter from NYC THAT FLIES DIRECTLY TO ST CROIX?

Allison Sep 1st, 2001 08:05 AM

Hi Jennifer, <BR> <BR>Stayed in an ocean front room near Mermaid Beach. Thought it was the best place to stay on the resort, (recommended by another fodorite while I was planning my vacation!) although it is a hike up to the main house. We really didn't mind the uphill walk, and I believe they will pick you up from your room if you want. <BR>I'm having a hard time planning my next island vacation because part of me just wants to go back to St. Croix and The Buccaneer! Email me personally if I can help any other way.