Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   The Buccaneer (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/the-buccaneer-676657/)

jandj_vacation Feb 4th, 2007 12:46 PM

The Buccaneer

Visited The Buccaneer last month and had a fabulous time. The Buccaneer offers my husband and I everything we are looking forward to in a vacation. We love the palm lined beach and the fact you don't have to get up before dawn to reserve one. He plays golf and I play tennis and both are great. There is a piano player at happy hour and then a little entertainment every night until 11pm. The restaurant is very good and also we visited some other very good restaurants on the island. This is our second trip to The Buccaneer and that is nothing compared to all the people we met who have been there almost every year they vacation. We like to try other places...anyone been to the Buccaneer and find a like hotel someplace else??? We are planning our 40th anniversary next year and am looking for suggestions??

ccrosner Feb 5th, 2007 04:30 AM

Glad you had a great time, again, at the Buccaneer. We leave in 10 days for our eighth trip there...so you are right--there are some of us who can't get enough.

Be sure to go to tripadvisor.com to add a positive review on the Buccaneer.

I can't offer suggestions of other spots to try. My husband and I went to Harbor Island in the Bahamas a year ago and liked it very much. But it's quieter than STX and the resorts don't offer as many amenities (like Golf). The latter is the hard thing to find on some of the Caribbean islands. Hope others on this board can help. Maybe MaryMarra will chime in with an idea.

marymarra Feb 5th, 2007 05:33 PM

actually thought about this all day since I had trouble posting (anybody else?); anyway, Carol, is the Buc expert, but I have been there, and if liked the Buc, two places popped into my mind: Half Moon Bay in Jamaica--golf, tennis, nice beach (the same atmosphere as the Buc--low key, no hassling over chairs), but Half Moon is a much bigger resort than the Buc; it has, however, that same "country club" atmosphere. There is entertainment, nice restaurants, but we stayed on site and that was fine, too. The other place is a whole island where you have probably been--Bermuda--we were there in June, and while where we stayed was just okay--The Reefs--I am sure you can come pretty close to the Buc at other properties in Bermuda.

Hope this helps,

Mary in D.C.

ccrosner Feb 6th, 2007 02:55 AM

Hey Mary--
Was glad to see you responded. Very funny coincidence in your response, however. We became very close friends at the Buccaneer with another family who returned with us once. They are more adventurous than we (in other words, they would actually consider going elsewhere!) and are now going to Half Moon Bay for their second trip. I've checked it out on the website and it looks terrific (though more expensive than the Buccaneer). I have always been hesitant about going to Jamaica but we may try it sometime (my husband loves Jamaica). These same friends are HUGE The Reefs fans (Bermuda). So I guess certain birds of a feather flock together!

marymarra Feb 6th, 2007 08:35 AM

Carol--that is so funny; yes, Half Moon is more expensive, but they do run "deals" that are AI; the really easy thing about Half Moon is that it is so close to the airport--no more than 20 minutes and Montego Bay is relatively close to the East Coast and several cities have nonstop flights.

You must be so excited for your trip now that it has gotten so COLD!

Mary

jandj_vacation Feb 10th, 2007 09:51 AM

Thanks for the replies. I did put a response about The Buccaneer on TripAdvisor as I think St Croix still gets bad publicity.
We are not too keen on going to Jamaica either, but maybe if we went and just stayed at the resort. It misses some of the fun which St Croix has in visiting the restaurants and shopping in the town.
Well I definitely will look for your postings in the future as we definitely have a lot in common. We went to The Reefs for our honeymoon and I think you answered our question "that is where we should go back to for our 40th Anniversary". Thanks again and happy traveling. It is even cold here in Houston today...cold for Houston 40-50 degrees!

bermudafan Feb 12th, 2007 04:56 AM

dear jandj vacation, we are headed to the Buccaneer for the 1st time in May. So glad to hear that you liked it. Just wondering, did you eat dinner at the hotel? We arrive late in the day and thought it might be easier just to eat there but I've read poor reviews. What were your other favorite restaurants? We can't wait to go!

ilndlvr Feb 12th, 2007 05:30 PM

Hi, we enjoyed the Buccaneer a few years ago. Especially enjoyed the leisurely breakfast with those great views. The place that struck me as similar (but of course not exactly the same) was Pompano Beach Resort in Bermuda, where we stayed last summer. Breakfast overlooking the water; golf course nearby (beautiful course!); beach was a bit small, but then they were hauling in more sand on our last day there. A lot of the same overall "feel" though. We loved Bermuda -- clean, very friendly people, and beautiful. Congrats on 40 years!

Penny

jandj_vacation Feb 16th, 2007 10:00 AM

Dear Bermuda Fan,
As I mentioned in my first message-the place can use some updating, but the palm lined beach makes me think I could sleep right there. We were at the Buccaneer for eight nights and we had dinner there four nights. It is so convenient when you first arrive to settle in with a drink at the bar and listen to the piano and that view. Anyway, the food was good while we were there. A woman (local) we talked to said this is a new chef and the waiters are so nice...I think our waiter's name was Faskel?? He's makes the dinner entertaining. As for other four nights ....Galleon, Bacchus, Tutte Bene and Kendricks. Loved Galleon and Bacchus...liked Tutte and wouldn't go back to Kendricks. As "the Bermuda fan" what hotel do you like in Bermuda. Have a great time and let us know what you think in May!

bermudafan Feb 16th, 2007 01:33 PM

jandj vacation, what didn't you like about Kendricks? That was at the top of our list due to so many people raving about it.

Regarding Bermuda, our favorite is Elbow Beach (stayed there 3 times). We've stayed at the Southampton Princess (once), the Sonesta (now I think a Wyndham-once)and The Reefs (twice). We prefer the beach at Elbow but I do like the quaintness of The Reefs as well. And their infinity edge pool is great. But I feel more comfortable with my children at Elbow. I feel The Reefs is more of an adult destination.

jandj_vacation Feb 20th, 2007 05:06 PM

Bermudafan,
I felt that for the price we didn't get as good a meal as at the other restaurants. Also the people of St Croix all seemed so friendly, but the spirit seemed to be missing from the waiters at Kendricks. It isn't that I wouldn't go back....it just wouldn't be one of my first choices.
Thanks for the info on places to stay in Bermuda. As I mentioned we honeymooned there 40 years ago so we are definitely into an adultlocation.
Happy Traveling.........joan

HowardC Feb 21st, 2007 08:00 AM

Just got back from St Croix and found some new excellent restaurants. Elizabeths at The Palms--Husband and wife team--Lovely atmosphere and excellent food.
South Shore Cafe--eclectic menu--Diane is an excellent chef.
The Cultured Pelican is great for Sunday brunch. All kinds of egg dishes, waffles, pancakes etc and $2 bloody Marys, Mimosas and rum punch. Great food and view.
Salud is new and wonderful. If you are into duck the best we've ever had.

bermudafan Feb 22nd, 2007 05:35 AM

Joan, The Reefs is perfect for an anniversary trip! It's very intimate and relaxed. I wouldn't say it's high end luxury like a Ritz, but, nothing in Bermuda is like that. Their beachfront restaurant Coconuts will set up a table on the beach for 2 and serve you right on the water's edge. It's lovely!!

Howard, thanks so much for the newest update on the restaurant scene! I'll add your favorites to my list. Where did you stay? Did you have any other favorite beaches or must-see locations?

HowardC Feb 23rd, 2007 10:46 AM

In November we stayed at Buccaneer--They have an auction package for five nights on www.luxurylink.com which I won. Really easy to win. This last trip in Feb we stayed at Tamarind Reef which was very nice and a good deal in season. The purpose of the trip was to house hunt and buy a house which we did and will become Cruzians in June, Didn't get to explore many beaches. Another excellent new restaurant to add to your list is Salud. If you are into duck it is fantastic.

cruzan19 Feb 23rd, 2007 12:02 PM

Awesome. Welcome new cruzan! What part of the island did you buy a home? My family home is above the marina in salt river.