Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   the best all inclusive (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/the-best-all-inclusive-141405/)

SusanP Jan 14th, 2002 08:27 AM

the best all inclusive

I am in the beginning stages of planning a trip for several couples celebrating their 10 year anniversary. I want to check into an all-inclusive resort. I am open to suggestions regarding the island that we choose. We are flexible as to the time of year we travel so I was thinking to go "off peak" in nice weather. Not hurricane season.<BR>Any suggestions?

Alex Jan 14th, 2002 10:39 AM

Look into Le Sport on St. Lucia. All inclusive resort/spa. Tons of activities and 2 spa treatments a day (all included). Probably lower key than most all inclusive resorts. Also a bit less expensive than other all inclusives. Feel free to email me if you have any questions. Alex

luv2travel Jan 14th, 2002 11:07 AM

What are you looking for in your vacation (eg. golf, water sports, lots of activity / nightlife, peace & quiet, romance, etc)? Price range? Moderate or higher end all inclusive? What are your interests? Have you been to the Caribbean before? If so, where have you been and what did you like / dislike about those locations? If you give a bit more background as to what you are looking for, people may be able to provide better suggestions. Good luck!

Kim Jan 14th, 2002 11:46 AM

Try any of the Sandals and No im not a travel agent just a 100% Sandals resort returnee.

Sue Jan 14th, 2002 07:31 PM

Hi!<BR>I am new to the board. I tried to reply to [email protected] guess that wasn't very smart of me. Anyway, here is what I wrote.....Thanks for replying to my post on Fodors.<BR>I have been to Jamaica (Rtiz-Carlton & Cibonney in 1993 when it was still nice), Cayman Islands (Grand Cayman, private condo), Nevis (Four Seasons) & St. Marten (time share).<BR>Admittedly, I have been spoiled by many a company-paid-for-trip so I have champagne taste on a beer or (maybe wine) budget :)<BR>Seriously, I will be traveling with some people who may not want to break the bank but I don't want to end up in a pit either. I am trying to be the "Cruise director" so that we don't end up disappointed. Any tips would be helpful.<BR>Some of the men golf so that is a must. I am sure the women would like a spa treatment or two. Great dining is a must! Besides that, lying in the sun away from the kids in a CLEAN room or suite.<BR><BR>Thanks.<BR>

luv2travel Jan 15th, 2002 04:29 AM

Sue - I can suggest a few places in Jamaica for you to research further, though I'm not sure if they fit into your price range or not. <BR><BR>We absolutely adore Grand Lido Braco - have been there twice and will be returning for a 3rd visit this year. It seems to fit the requirements you have listed. It is adults only, has good dining (5 restaurants - a jerk pit (open until 5 or 6 pm only), an international restaurant, a pasta / pizza restaurant, a Japanese restaurant (main part is Benihana style, but there is also a separate small sushi bar), and a gourmet French restaurant), and included 24 hour room service. You can get a glass of house champagne, or a whole bottle of house champagne anytime(inexpensive kind - last time I was there it was actually some kind of Spanish cava I'd never heard of, but I still thought it was decent). There is a 9 hole golf course right on the resort, and green fees & transportation are included for an 18 hole golf course at Breezes Runaway Bay which is about 20 - 30 minutes away. There is a spa for the women to get a spa treatment or two. Free manicure & pedicure are included in the package price. Other spa treatments are extra. We love to arrange for massages side by side on a secluded area of the beach, under the palm trees. Heaven! <BR><BR>Grand Lido Sans Souci is also a beautiful property, though it wasn't particularly to our taste. Beach is much smaller than at Braco. On the other hand, the property is more lush. There is no golf on site, though you can go to the same 18 hole golf course, which is about 45 minutes dirve. However, it has the added advantage that a number of 20 - 25 minute spa treatments are included in the price - massage, facial, reflexology, and body scrub, in addition to the manicure & pedicure.<BR><BR>Check out http://www.clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/the...isitorshangout for lots of info on the Grand Lido resorts (there is also a 3rd in Negril but can't recommend it as I've not been there yet).<BR><BR>Some other places we have enjoyed, which are very slightly downscale from the Grand Lidos, but still nice, are Couples Ocho Rios and Sandals Royal Caribbean. Both are couples only, no kids, good dining. They do (or did when we where there) have more limited spa facilities at each than at the Grand Lidos, but you can at the least get massages at each. Each has a slightly different atmosphere - Couples is much more lush and romantic, Sandals Royal Caribbean has a sort of British colonial feel. I'm not sure if Sandals Royal Caribbean still offers golf - I don't think it does any more, but you should double check on this if you are interested. <BR><BR>Good luck!

mike Jan 15th, 2002 05:27 AM

SusanP,<BR>Not sure how many couples, or how close they are, but you might want to consider renting a villa at Tryall Golf and Beach, just outside Montego Bay, Jamaica. There are 3, 4, and 5 bedroom villas complete with staff (cook, maid [some have a butler], laundress, and gardner. You set the menus with the cook, you can have all the beverages you want laid in for you, all the snacks and things you want. Massages are available, each villa has its own pool, there is a beach, and arguably the best golf course in the Caribbean (Teeth of the Dog and White Witch lovers will disagree, I bet, but even they'll agree it's one of the top three, anyway).<BR>The rate per couple on the villas is verrrrry reasonable. MoBay has only had modest hurricane involvement, other than Gilbert several years ago, so the weather shouldn't be an issue.<BR>Take a look at tryallclub.com<BR>Whatever you decide, hope you have a great time.<BR>(Oh, and no, I'm not a rep or a shill for Tryall, I've just been there a couple of times and love it)

robert Jan 15th, 2002 12:08 PM

Susan,<BR><BR>If you have champagne taste, would recommend either Casa d Campo in the DR or Half Moon Beach in Jam. Both have fantastic villas and wonderful food. If golf is a priority, Casa is better but, Half Moon not bad. Been to both, heading back to Casa in two weeks.

Sue Jan 16th, 2002 01:48 PM

Thanks to everyone who helped me. I have narrowed it to Casa De Campo and LeSport. Can anyone compare the two.

Ms. Know It All Jan 16th, 2002 02:46 PM

Never been to Casa De Campo, but Le Sport is perfect if you want to havethe otpion of doing other things besides lying on the beach all day.<BR><BR>With 2 spa treatments a day, every thing else revolves around that.The ladies will love it!!And you guys there are LOTS to do, trust me.The only thing will be too much to do with so little time. <BR><BR>The beach isn't a white sand beach though very nice. <BR><BR>For white sand, with only one treatment a day (more time to work on the tan) you can also look into their sister resort in Grenada called La Source. It's a newer hotel, very nice (think Marble bath romm and marble floors) and the limousine transfers are a nice touch. There are the same activities as Le Sport, excellent food, though Le Sport has more restaurants.<BR><BR>Which ever one you choose you cannot go wrong with either. Just make time to go out and explore the Island.<BR><BR>St.Lucia is very romantic, go to Pigeon Island, Marigot Bay and the Drive in Volcano.In Grenada do an Island tour, vist the Grand Etang lake, the many waterfalls and the nutmeg factory. If you want great snorkelling and deserted white sand Islands kissed by torquoise seas, book a day trip to the Grenadines...FANTASTIC!<BR><BR>Have fun

x Jan 17th, 2002 04:40 AM

Casa is huge--requires shuttles to get around the property. Families there. Lots of golf.<BR><BR>LeSport is very small. Adults only. Spa is the centerpiece, but other sports there as well.

Mark Jan 18th, 2002 04:12 AM

The best I have seen was Galley Bay Antigua. If kids are not a problem I just returned from Turtle Beach Barbados and the place was very nice but the beach was a bit rough for people who aren't used to swimming in surf. Pineapple beach Antigua and the Whyndam morgan bay St lucia were nice too Galley Bay however was heqd and shoulders above the rest.

Big Mac Jan 20th, 2002 10:04 AM

Club Ortanique Cibpney Jamaica gets out vote. First Class all the way.