The Bahamas or Cayman Islands?

Feb 15th, 2002, 05:44 AM
Marissa

The Bahamas or Cayman Islands?

We are planning on taking a trip this May to either the Bahamas (Sheraton Grand) or Cayman Islands (Westin Casuarina). We are looking for nice weather, great beaches, relaxation and a place that has other things to do besides water activities. Cost is not an issue because we are using FF miles for the hotel, flights, and traveler's cheques. Which would be best?

Thanks.

Feb 15th, 2002, 06:34 AM
xx

Since cost is not an issue, go for Cayman. Hands down.

Feb 15th, 2002, 04:04 PM
tweedy

You might look into some of the nicer resorts on Nassau or if you want a bit more laid back vacation try Harbour Island, which is off the N. coast of Eleuthera.

There are many nice resorts on the island, the largest has 30 rooms so it is more intimate, laid back and with an amazing 3 mile long pink sand beach.

For more into on the Bahamas and Harbour Island try these websites www.bahamas.com and www.briland.com (say Harbour Island 3 times fast and it sounds like Briland, which is what the natives call the island, once the capital of the Bahamas and the earliest perminent settelment in the "new world".

Have a wonderful time wherever you choose to go and if you need any other info on the Bahamas, please let me know.

tweedy

Feb 15th, 2002, 04:59 PM
Cathy

Every year for our anniversary we go to the caribbean. We always compare everything to the year we went to the Cayman Islands and stayed at the Westin. It was WONDERFUL! The beach is a perfect beach and the resort is great too. We went in April and if it was crowded we sure didn't notice. Be sure and play with the stingrays at stingray city and if you haven't done the Atlantis trip in the submarine-it's worth the money. Whatever you decide-hope you have a great vacation!!

Feb 15th, 2002, 05:17 PM
Marissa

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Feb 16th, 2002, 12:06 AM
Nells

Cayman Islands!

Feb 16th, 2002, 12:47 PM
Jane

Hi Marissa!
Did you know that the Sheraton Grand is closed? Hurricane damage from last November. Some people I've heard from say that the April target date for reopening is unrealistic. They are way behind schedule. Their reservation line will book a room for you, but will transfer you to another hotel if the resort does not open. Risky if you ask me! We will be in Nassau at the and of April. Have fun!

Feb 17th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Trish

We just returned from the Westin in GC at about midnight last night. We had a real battle on our hands with them. If we ever return, it will NOT be to the Westin. They have a lot to learn about customer service. I suffered an asthma attack after being given our room and asked them to change our room. We were told they didn't have any. I found out the next morning there were 40 empty rooms, but not in our category. Beds were not very comfortable in either room, the brunch was spectacular food-wise, but we had to go after our own beverages, we had one day that there was no place to find any shade (necessary due to bad sunburn) and twice they moved people from the deck areas due to "other functions". We liked GC, but not the Westin.

Feb 18th, 2002, 02:07 PM
barb

HI.... G.Cayman was beautiful! We stayed at the Hyatt and it was absolutely wonderful! The snorkeling is great all over the island... you can find many many sites right off the beaches for great snorkeling. Stingray City was fantastic also. Would love to go back soon.

Feb 18th, 2002, 04:52 PM
Ani

Although I have only been to Nassau and it was fine--it was just that-fine. I'm not a jaded traveler by any means but I know there's got to be better in the Bahamas than Nassau-I've heard Grand Cayman is GREAT.
(disregard this message if you are going to Atlantis on Paradise Island...that place is fantastic!)

Feb 19th, 2002, 06:26 AM
xx

Snorkeling great in Grand Cayman? If you have any experience snorkeling, you would not agree. If you are a diver, forget about the snorkeling. All that is left in the shallows is ripped up reef. Everything is relative.